IL and KR again

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
acwrlfc

IL and KR again

Post by acwrlfc »

I have today been in discussion with a legend of the club and some of the things he told me was both astounding and a total eye opener.

He confirmed all my thoughts on the management team of the Club and its complete lack of ambition.

I ve followed this club for over 50 years and today i felt for the first time was is the point of buying a season ticket when ii was told the Owner is just content to be competitive.

For me KR was a great player and "another " legend of the club but now for me is just looking after himself in this comfortable job.

On a final note i am glad to see the back of Hamlin the smallest overrated but enthuastic forward we have had in a while, another one of KRs signings because of the wigan connection.

Kr is to nice of a man for that role thats why our cap is so high he cant release players who have come through the system.
fozzieskem

Re: IL and KR again

Post by fozzieskem »

I never understood why Hamlin was so well thought of by fans,the club had just as good if not better in the academy
endoman

Post by endoman »

No surprise in anything you say. All about the spreadsheets.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Does this legend work for wigan or have they under IL tenure? Otherwise i fail to see how they would have such insight.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:02 pm I never understood why Hamlin was so well thought of by fans,the club had just as good if not better in the academy
Hamlin wasn't good enough to be an overseas professional at a so called top club ,but our standards have plummeted.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:02 pm I never understood why Hamlin was so well thought of by fans,the club had just as good if not better in the academy
He made an impact on his first full game IIRC (which Wane wasn't pleased about as driving it in was not to plan) but then why would not another young player Wigan produced have done the same?

Unless they are young players clubs are fighting over, like Bateman, why would you sign a young player when you are supposed to have a production line of your own, especially a young player from Aus who you simply can't know anything much about?

I made the same argument when we signed him. Why are we signing young overseas players? We didn't just sign him. We signed Navarette and Escare as well around the same time. Were these outstanding young prospects? Nope.

I do not think the club manufacture a team from the academy. I never have. I always think you need a balance of home grown v recruited players but the last recruits you should be making are bang average young players when you have your own supposedly much vaunted production line. If you recruit, recruit proven players to add experience.
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

Does this legend work for wigan or have they under IL tenure? Otherwise i fail to see how they would have such insight.
he did until recently and I dont use the word legend lightly.

Eye opener and a very honest post
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

it was a chance meeting but we used to play in the same junior team and over a drink honesty prevailed and from a speccy angle what he told me made me deflated and gutted.

IL and KR are taking down the wrong route
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:15 pm
He made an impact on his first full game IIRC (which Wane wasn't pleased about as driving it in was not to plan) but then why would not another young player Wigan produced have done the same?

Unless they are young players clubs are fighting over, like Bateman, why would you sign a young player when you are supposed to have a production line of your own, especially a young player from Aus who you simply can't know anything much about?

I made the same argument when we signed him. Why are we signing young overseas players? We didn't just sign him. We signed Navarette and Escare as well around the same time. Were these outstanding young prospects? Nope.

I do not think the club manufacture a team from the academy. I never have. I always think you need a balance of home grown v recruited players but the last recruits you should be making are bang average young players when you have your own supposedly much vaunted production line. If you recruit, recruit proven players to add experience.
exactly .wigan and surrounding areas are the hotbed for talent, add a few QUALITY players to that and keep your best.

Example we let Bateman our talisman go ,we bring in a failure in Australia Greenwood who's been found out over there and sent back .
What I've seen so far from him is big unit talented left edge attacker saw it tonight but looks a pea heart when it comes to the nitty gritty .
Bateman in that team tonight and we win so yet another downgrade,who was the last proven quality overseas player lenegan signed.
I feel sorry for lam this is not the club he played for he's been sold a pup.
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

Agreed Lam is in a crap position and been sold down the river by IL/KR

All the "best" players have left and he is dealing with an average/small/ageing squad