19-Man Squad vs Tigers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wontoofree

Soft tries

Post by wontoofree »

Just how many soft tries can one team allow ?

Answer - ask Wigan !! 3 last night at least, possibly 4 or 5. The defending in the second half was so non existent a bunch of determined girl guides could have scored against us. Beyond embarrassing.
Firestarter

Re: 19-Man Squad vs Tigers

Post by Firestarter »

Southern Softy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:58 am Everything that everyone has posted is true but it still doesn't alter the fact that the first six tries against us were all scored by a big forward running solo from short range. This is the kind of tactic that Under 11s are taught to play against and stop. It doesn't matter how under strength we are, the way to play against us has been signposted for every other club and if you were them, why wouldn't you play the same way?
Something is very wrong with the training regime if we can't cope with this kind of basic attack, even if we have a young pack.
finally someone hits the nail on the head........ no excuses for conceding such soft tries down the middle....... cats had a big pack last week and we nilled them
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:20 pm .... cats had a big pack last week and we nilled them
Yes, so why the difference this week, that the question.

Well for one thing, Cas showed a heap more conviction and effort than les Cats (no surprise there). They clearly thought at half-time that they could win the game, and they were right.

We were asking a lot of our youngsters in the pack after a five day turnaround.

As others have noted, the warning signs were there literally from the kick-off. They reached our line far too easily, going the length in a set. We had a hot spell (for which Sammut should take much of the credit) and scored some good tries, but it didn't alter the fact that we were being dominated.

BTW I love how Sammut has gone from "Championship player who isn't fit to pull on a Wigan jersey" to "a massive loss, and something we haven't had for years" in just a couple of weeks! :lol:

And yeah, just watching the tries back today, it certainly wasn't all down to the kids: Burgess and Gildart didn't cover themselves in glory defensively for a few of those Cas scories.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It's no like they beat us with champagne rugby. In fact, you could almost say that the first half-hour was Wigan playing like Cas, and the rest was Cas playing like Wigan.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

moto748 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:23 pm It's not like they beat us with champagne rugby. In fact, you could almost say that the first half-hour was Wigan playing like Cas, and the rest was Cas playing like Wigan.
wontoofree

Soft tries

Post by wontoofree »

Can I ask why my thread criticising the 'soft' tries last night has been chopped ?

Is one not allowed to publically criticise our defence ?

ps You forgot to change the clock last week.
Caboosegg

Re: Soft tries

Post by Caboosegg »

wontoofree wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:07 pm Can I ask why my thread criticising the 'soft' tries last night has been chopped ?

You have a comment in the cas game thread saying that. Merged potentially?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

medlocke wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:20 am Time for the club to grow a set of nads and cut the chaff from the wheat and bring in a couple of burly props, Also if they could send Powell out on a season long loan then that would also benefit the side

It wouldn’t it’d mean he would be coming back!!!!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
wontoofree

Re: Soft tries

Post by wontoofree »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:26 pm
wontoofree wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:07 pm Can I ask why my thread criticising the 'soft' tries last night has been chopped ?

You have a comment in the cas game thread saying that. Merged potentially?
You are quite correct. Thank you.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

We defo need to replace sammut if hes out for the season........ its a damn shame coz he looked the part imo...... imalso thinking that doms career might be iver unfortunately.....hes had nowhere near the same impact since his latest return..... pity, but unfortunately the team has to improve by whatever means necessary
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE