Sale's Jake Pope banned for six months by RFU for drugs violation

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
josie andrews

Sale's Jake Pope banned for six months by RFU for drugs violation

Post by josie andrews »

Pope will be available to play again from June 4, 2019

Sale Sharks prop Jake Pope has been banned for six months following his second violation of the RFU's Illicit Drugs Programme.

The 21-year-old undertook a drugs test on November 20, 2018 which found traces of cannabis and cocaine.

Pope appeared before an independent disciplinary panel on February 11 and admitted the violation. The panel have now decided to hand him the six-month ban, as well as a £1,000 fine.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... -violation
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Sale's Jake Pope banned for six months by RFU for drugs violation

Post by josie andrews »

Apparently RU isn’t a member of UKAD!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
endoman

Post by endoman »

Maybe UKAD will hand him their own ban? Plenty RU players on their list of currently sanctioned athletes.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:50 am Apparently RU isn’t a member of UKAD!
Why do you say that?

He took a recreational drug in November which is in the middle of the RU season so did so "in competition".

I have no idea if that should warrant a longer ban under UKAD rules or not. Are you saying the ban is shorter than UKAD rules specify?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:00 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:50 am Apparently RU isn’t a member of UKAD!
Why do you say that?

He took a recreational drug in November which is in the middle of the RU season so did so "in competition".

I have no idea if that should warrant a longer ban under UKAD rules or not. Are you saying the ban is shorter than UKAD rules specify?
All I’m saying that someone told me that football & RU aren’t members of UKAD. Can you confirm that they are.

Also if it is his second offence why hasn’t he been banned for longer? It seems a small punishment for a second offender.
Do RU players get lighter sentences than RL players?
pedro

Post by pedro »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:05 pm
Why do you say that?

All I’m saying that someone told me that football & RU aren’t members of UKAD. Can you confirm that they are?

Also if it is his second offence why hasn’t he been banned for longer? It seems a small punishment for a second offender.

thats right they arent thats why they get smaller bans.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Why do you say that?

All I’m saying that someone told me that football & RU aren’t members of UKAD. Can you confirm that they are.

I have no idea if RU are members if UKAD nor what length of ban UKAD specifies for an offence of this kind. I was simply wondering if you knew.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:35 am

Why do you say that?

I have no idea if RU are members if UKAD nor what length of ban UKAD specifies for an offence of this kind. I was simply wondering if you knew.
No, I don’t know what the ban lengths are. I just thought six months for a second offence, in season at that, seemed a bit lenient.
pedro

Post by pedro »

mandatory 2 years I think. Zaks was less due to them messing up the evidence
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Why do you say that?

Im not sure its as simple as it being in season i think this has come up before this is taken from WADAs site

Prohibited only in-competition (a period of time defined by each sport, but in athletics this means within 24 hours of competition).

Im sure this came up around someone's ban in RL that in competition is certain amount of days around the game itself rather than the season
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure