How do we avoid relegation?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warriors01

How do we avoid relegation?

Post by warriors01 »

If we carry on with this squad of players the only hope we have is that London don't win another match. By the end of Easter we could be joint bottom of the league and would have thought quite embarrassing for IL who fought to change the set up of Super league and cannot imagine how he would explain to his London colleagues that he is looking at owning a team in the Championship which is quite frankly down to his and KR poor recruitment. Its not rocket science that if you let your best players go you have to replace them with similar quality if you want to maintain a successful side. The appointment of a coach with no head coach experience is turning out to being a massive mistake. Lam has no idea how to coach a team to defend, its okay to be attack minded but defence wins games. He needs a defence assistant could Betts be the answer?
Also we need to bring in at least 2 forwards now, so if we are up to the max salary cap we need to terminate a couple of contracts, Hamlin being one and look at the players out on loan as we need them in our first team not in Swinton, leigh or Workington. But is KR the man to bring in new blood if the last 2 seasons have anything to go by I seriously doubt it.
ancientnloyal

Re: How do we avoid relegation?

Post by ancientnloyal »

There has been zero improvement. Catalans do tend to capitulate every now and then when they travel so that result was an anomaly (then they beat Stains).

For me the big issue is fitness. Who is conditioning them? Let me guess and old Wigan player? We need a professional you can’t get rid of Bitcon and replace him with someone who more than likely went to an independent gym once and “knows his stuff” eg Higham at Leigh.

Oh yeh, forgot, cost cutting.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

very similar to my thoughts.

If there is no reserve comp why do we keep all these players.

If it starts up next season then fine, we address it then but currently it is affecting our player movement. The list is endless. Mullen is another who springs to mind.

Winning Res comp and Under 19 comp is good for the players but in the larger picture means nothing. A club is judged on its first teams position
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

If we go down we go down ,its not the first time and it might just give us our club back instead of this impersonal franchise we've got now.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

That’s the thing isn’t it apart from the Catalan capitulation there’s been no improvement in the side this squad is very poor and has been for a few years masked only by Wane is his insane desire to beat everyone.

With Easter being here I can see Wigan being sucked into the relegation race proper,the only thing that will save them is Leeds being so rank poor at the moment
stanthemanc

Post by stanthemanc »

the only way I see us avoiding relegation is for the coach to be sacked and someone else brought in . Who I don't know , possible tony smith . Also lets get a proper conditioning coach .I don't think all the players are the problem I think they are not playing to there strengths .We also need the management to come out and say publicly that they have made mistakes and they are trying to rectify them ,they have listened to the fans and they understand there frustration . I believe that they players leaving at the end of the season should be told they can go now and give the youngsters a chance . If the club doesn't act now then we will get relegated and we will never come back up we will just keep on going down .
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

stanthemanc wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:36 am the only way I see us avoiding relegation is for the coach to be sacked and someone else brought in . Who I don't know , possible tony smith . Also lets get a proper conditioning coach .I don't think all the players are the problem I think they are not playing to there strengths .We also need the management to come out and say publicly that they have made mistakes and they are trying to rectify them ,they have listened to the fans and they understand there frustration . I believe that they players leaving at the end of the season should be told they can go now and give the youngsters a chance . If the club doesn't act now then we will get relegated and we will never come back up we will just keep on going down .
Out of interest, which players do you think should be told now and who should replace them exactly.

What would your starting 13 and subs be for saints based on the above and don’t forget injuries.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Get rid of Dan S and Powell for a start then players who can't but two games together due to injures part of the problem is we never have a stable team
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

pearsy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:17 am Get rid of Dan S and Powell for a start then players who can't but two games together due to injures part of the problem is we never have a stable team
Who would you play instead of Dan/Sam out of interest?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
stanthemanc

Post by stanthemanc »

this is my team for saint probably not win but if told to go out there and have fun and do there best just might surprise a few people.
Hardaker
Davies
Hankinson
Gildart
Burgess
Greenwood
Worthington / Paisley
Isa
Jake Shorrocks
Escare
Navarrete
Ganson
Bullock

subs
Woods
Sammut
Kibula
Partington

I would be happy to see this team play to be honest with ourselves we are not going to win the challenge cup we aint goin to win the super league and definitely not going to old Trafford so why not give the youngsters a go