19-man squad vs Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: 19-man squad vs Wakefield

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 pm A fair assessment is that we lost the game in 4 mins up to half time. I'm very disappointed with the result and the performance, but . . .
we scored 4 tries and conceded 5 against a good team (possibly underrated as they're not one of the "big" clubs).

Looking for encouraging signs, Escaré looked ok, George made plenty telling tackles as well as looking dangerous with ball in hand. The young forwards have gained valuable experience - though I couldn't see who missed most of the tackles. Jake Shorrocks is growing into his role.

None of this is to deny that we were poor, but trying to add some perspective.
Perspective? Give over.
Were you at the match DaveO, can you give us your view? Morleys post reads like he was. I only listened to it on the radio tonight (and a yorkshire one at that) so my opinion is off what i listened. Will be intresting to see what what people who went have to say.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Been to the match Fafita is a monster and can run Wigan lost the game in the last 5 mins of the 1st half For the last try before half time he was running down the touchline like a winger nobody could stop him he did a 50 yard break before offloading .Hicks gave some dubious penalty to Wakey .Cant knock the young players they tackled Wakey's big forwards well Wigan were actually looking good the last 20 mins we were 30 -4 down at one time Escare was under the sticks but brought back for a dubious forward pass score ..Wakeys first try came off a knock on not seen by the ref.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Bit of a kick off from chestet about the tackling from wigan and outrage on twitter.

I cant see anything wrong with the tackle they are on about. Its in the direction the knee bends.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
doc

Post by doc »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:07 am Bit of a kick off from chestet about the tackling from wigan and outrage on twitter.

I cant see anything wrong with the tackle they are on about. Its in the direction the knee bends.
We'll just have to see who the RFL ban on another trumped up charge like the Tautai one.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

doc wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:27 am
Caboosegg wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:07 am Bit of a kick off from chestet about the tackling from wigan and outrage on twitter.

We'll just have to see who the RFL ban on another trumped up charge like the Tautai one.
Regardless of if a ban is picked up the fact that fafita has posted it on his twitter is unproffesional and slanderous. Its created a ffa vs wigan as a team and if nothing comes of it (aka it was legal) he deserves a fine the same way coaches are for making comments about refs.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:45 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 pm A fair assessment is that we lost the game in 4 mins up to half time. I'm very disappointed with the result and the performance, but . . .
we scored 4 tries and conceded 5 against a good team (possibly underrated as they're not one of the "big" clubs).

Looking for encouraging signs, Escaré looked ok, George made plenty telling tackles as well as looking dangerous with ball in hand. The young forwards have gained valuable experience - though I couldn't see who missed most of the tackles. Jake Shorrocks is growing into his role.

None of this is to deny that we were poor, but trying to add some perspective.
Perspective? Give over.
Were you at the match DaveO, can you give us your view? Morleys post reads like he was. I only listened to it on the radio tonight (and a yorkshire one at that) so my opinion is off what i listened. Will be intresting to see what what people who went have to say.
I was at the match, Caboose: two in a row is a relatively rare treat for me these days. I think the difference between me and Dave is a cup half full or half empty.

I accept it was a poor performance but, given that had been well covered by others, thought I'd try to look for a few positives. Currently we're clearly not a great team and unlikely to challenge for 1st or 2nd. Imo we're better than Leeds, London, Salford, Hull KR and in a group with Cas, Wakey, Huddersfield, Hull, and Cats.

Unlike some of those teams, we have potential to improve as players come back, young lads gain experience, and, hopefully, Lammy's coaching gets embedded.

I'm just giving an optimist's pov to try to keep some balance or perspective on here, otherwise it gets depressing reading the constant moaning, like working with Marvin the paranoid android.

Have a nice day :D
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

A golden memory for those who enjoy wallowing in misery:

2nd September 1979. Thatcher recently elected.

Wakefield Trinity 22 Wigan 6

1. Foy (1T)
2. Greenall
3. Butler
4. Davies
5. Hornby
6. Keiron O'Loughlin (1T)
7. Bolton
8. O'Neill
9. T Karalius
10. Boyd
11. Hollingsworth
12. Clough
13. Rennox (sub: Coyle)

On 23rd Dec that year, we lost 17-15 to Blackpool Borough away, the 4th loss in a run of 5.

What joy!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Once again we went into a game with a pack that on paper should have been beaten quite convincingly but in the end managed to keep the scoreline respectable.

We seem to be defending pretty impressively to start, but falling apart once a try gets scored. It's almost as if the team puts so much effort into preventing a try and dealing with a good pack of forwards that once the line is breached their heads drop.

Wakefield's injuries probably helped to keep us in the game a little bit but with such a huge difference in size, and with a quality player like Fifita in their side, it was always going to be an uphill struggle.

The forwards have pretty much always been the ones who determine who wins, and what we're currently trying to do is win games without really using our props because they can't win the battle down the middle. Our backs, particularly our left edge, is keeping us competitive but if we keep going into games with a weakened forward pack the results are going to get worse. We desperately need some forwards back and soon.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Fifita must have a very short memory...... hes been accused ov allsorts in aus if memory serves me correctly
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:01 pm Fifita must have a very short memory...... hes been accused ov allsorts in aus if memory serves me correctly
It's also nonsense.

If the tackle is over, then fair enough, but is he honestly saying he wouldn't have slipped the ball away if he was able to?