Wigan Warriors Women’s RL - Wilkinson previews Tigers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors Women’s RL - Wilkinson previews Tigers

Post by josie andrews »

Warriors Women’s Head Coach previews Sunday’s Women’s Super League fixture vs Castleford Tigers Women

Head Coach looking forward to tough challenge against the Tigers”

Wilkinson stresses that her side are as prepared as they can be ahead of tie

The Warriors Women host Castleford Tigers Women in their second game of the 2019 Season, with the Warriors taking to the field at Orrell St James’ ARLFC rather than their usual home of Robin Park Arena (K.O 2pm).

Wigan Warriors Women face the Tigers in their second outing of the season this Sunday, as the Cherry & White Women look to make amends after their closely contested defeat on the opening day.

Looking back on last week’s season opener, Wilkinson said: “I think we let ourselves down last week a little bit when we had the ball in hand, we just need to make sure we go in this week having done some good preparation and with a good attitude.”

It wasn’t the worst start to the season, it was a tight game on the day and it really could’ve gone either way. I think it’s the best time of the season to get that kind of frustrating result, as we know we can improve as we get back into the swing of it.”

With the Castleford fixture drawing in, the Head Coach said: “It’s about us going into the game and doing the things that we know we’re good at.

“Castleford have recruited really well, they were a handful last year and they’re a well-drilled side. They’re strong, fast and physical, so it’s going to be a real challenge for us this weekend. We’ve got to go out and be at our absolute best to put up a fight against a side like Cas’.”

She added: “We have worked this week on the positives, we did some good things last week and there isn’t much good in dwelling on the negatives. There were times in the game against Saints where we looked really good. We’ve just got to be a bit more consistent and a bit more clinical.”

Castleford were the only team not to lose a game to the Warriors last year, something which Wigan Women will be looking to overturn this season: “Both teams are great teams, but are very different. Castleford come off the back of a big win, whereas we come of the back of a tough, physically demanding game. I think that has helped up is in our preparations this week, I do think it’ll be a tougher challenge but we’re as best prepared as we can be going into it.”

Earlier in the week, Five Warriors Women were announced in the England National Performance Squad. [Learn more about it HERE]

On her players selection, Wilkinson said: “All five of the girls fully deserve that place on the Performance Squad, it’s a great opportunity for them and I’d like to think a couple more of our girls will get their chance, and get picked up along the way. The five that have been picked are worthy of it and as a club we’ll take that on board too, when they’re part of something like that it’s good for them too as they’ll be exposed to some different types of training to what we do in-house which is great for them as individuals, and great for Wigan too.”

Tickets will be available on the day for the between Wigan Women and Castleford Tigers Women at Orrell St James’ on Sunday 14th April, 2pm Kick-off.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... 0jlJ0vY.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Warriors Women’s RL - Wilkinson previews Tigers

Post by josie andrews »

FT | Wigan Women 14-36 Castleford Women.‬

‪The Warriors fall to second defeat after a dominant display from the visitors. Michelle Davis opened the scoring with a penalty goal before Alison Burrows got the first of Wigan’s tries, and Gemma Walsh added two but it wasn’t enough on the day‬.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
doc

Re: Wigan Warriors Women’s RL - Wilkinson previews Tigers

Post by doc »

Lost to a much bigger and better drilled team. Now where have I seen that before?