The Club's Philophosy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: The Club's Philophosy

Post by Wiganer Ted »

DaveO, I said we'd won more than Saints and Wire this past ten years. I didn't mention Leeds for the reasons you have stated which we all know anyway . As for our experienced players being past it. Any number of our experienced players are not past it. You may consider some past it and we have a very good idea who you are thinking of.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am really happy with how the club has gone in the IL era. As the accounts show, he puts his hand in the pocket to pay up to the cap and employ many other hard working professionals who contribute to the club and the town. It seems to me that the squad has become unbalanced but that we can fix it.

It seems to me that we need 4 big lads to replace Clubb, Hamlin, Tautai and Lockers (plus Tommy’s money), and to allow the likes of Partington and Smithies to develop. We need to use both the marquee spots for a half back to replace Williams and either a canny 9 or 13. Do that and I think we could see a fantastic side again. Lam pointed out way back when that we were a big lad short and that was before the Hamlin issue and Lockers, Flower and Clubb all getting injured at the same time. If we can’t get 4, I would be happy to see Clubb go round again. I think anyone who comes back early after having a kidney removed deserves the benefit of the doubt. I would also re-sign Sarginson (who was heroic after his brother died).

I see that Harry Smith is already shining on loan. In him, Smithies and Partington, we have some fantastic talent, they just need some big ugly lumps to play behind.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:44 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote:We've won more than Saints and Wire this past ten years.
No we have not. Leeds have five GF wins to our four an it is two CC’s each during the last ten years. Our last CC win was in 2013. The most successful side since SL started is Leeds with 8 GF wins to our five.
Where in Ted’s post did he mention Leeds? 🤔
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:45 am
No we have not. Leeds have five GF wins to our four an it is two CC’s each during the last ten years. Our last CC win was in 2013. The most successful side since SL started is Leeds with 8 GF wins to our five.
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story." Mark Twain. :lol:
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

I did at the start of the thread and so did ddtftf
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

pedro wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:50 am

DaveO was quoting Ted’s post no one else’s!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Comparing us to Warrington, Leeds and Saints is a bit complex.
Warrington still no GF win two CC sucsess mainly through signings no stable youth structure, more players have come through our youth structure to first team level at Wire than their own.
Saints similar structure to us plenty good youth(not as good as ours) lost best player in Graham to NRL Roby see Lockers anyone else up to it? One GF victory (which we should have won(shows we done it better?

Leeds for me are the most simmilar. They have been dealing last couple of years with what we are starting now to expierence.
They had a very dominant youth set up before we got ours back on track fully. It had Maguire, Burrows, JJB, Hall and Sinfield. It was boosted along the way with good signings but that accademy was the backbone.
It also fell at a better time in that at the start of that period SL, cap wise, was still better off and later level to NRL. They still lost Gareth Ellis at his very best to the NRL but I think that like Morley that was a lifestyle choice. With hindsight we would have been better keeping Lockers Robinson(reasons) Brown and Wild though not of the same class as Leeds with right players and coaches around them we may have nicked a odd trophy start of those 10 years. If you look at this like for like Tomkins/Maguire Hall/Burgess Williams/Burrows and so on is it not possible Leeds would struggle to keep such players going forwards under these conditions? Leeds also lost Walker and Smith to RU at points. Basically if your a top quality player in a team doing well the NRL and RU will come looking the difference for SL now is the gap money wise has doubled. You will always get a Sinfield or Lockers who will play out at one club but many more will chance a go for more cash/profile.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

RU salary cap currently £7 million v Superleague £2 million and the top RU international players can get many £000s more fo all their International appearances, not exactly doubled!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

I am unsure why people keep referring to what has happened in previous years, it is what is happening now.We are playing poor rugby,3rd from the bottom of SL and spending very little money.What we do spend we do so on championship players.Under IL we have lost ambition and he obviously allows our better players to leave without replacing them.I wish he would go asap although I am aware it will not be easy to find a buyer.
pedro

Post by pedro »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:41 am
pedro wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:50 am

DaveO was quoting Ted’s post no one else’s!
yeah I know, and Ted was replying to me and ddtftf