Official Statement - Edwards opts out of Wigan move

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Official Statement - Edwards opts out of Wigan move

Post by josie andrews »

Joint statement from Wigan Warriors and Shaun Edwards

Wigan Warriors can today confirm that Shaun Edwards will not take up the Head Coach position next year.

Edwards, who initially agreed to take on the role in August 2018, confirmed his intentions to Wigan Chairman and Owner, Ian Lenagan on Sunday afternoon.

Shaun Edwards said: ”After much thought and deliberation, I wish to clarify my situation. I will not be taking up the Head Coaching role at Wigan, the reason being my lack of preparation. World Cup preparations have been brought forward a month and, as a result, I will be unable to spend eight weeks in Australia as planned on rugby league. I feel Wigan need a more experienced rugby league Head Coach than myself, to give the club and the people of Wigan the best team possible.

“The Wigan deal I recently received is very favourable to all other offers I have had so far. For me, this is not about money, this is about Wigan Warriors getting the best man for the job which, at the moment, I feel is not me.”

Wigan Warriors Chairman, Ian Lenagan, said: ”I have been conversing with Shaun for a number of weeks since the completion of the Six Nations and, yesterday, Shaun revealed to me that he thought a combination of circumstances meant he would be under-prepared to take on the Wigan Head Coach job in November 2019. He clearly feels that he is not the best man to take the team forward currently and I have to respect and accept this. Like every Wiganer, I wanted Shaun to lead the team and this very honest admission has taken me by surprise.

“I have always admired Shaun and I wish him well with whatever he does next’.

“For us now our next steps are to confirm the coaching structure for 2020 and beyond and draw a line under the last few months and give our loyal fans the clarity they deserve. I’d like to thank our supporters for their patience and understanding in what has proven to be a very difficult situation to navigate and now we can concentrate on building more strong foundations to drive this wonderful club forward. We will announce our plans in due course.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... 2spqUKp.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Edwards opts out of Wigan move

Post by josie andrews »

Confirmed “Sunday afternoon!” Only after it was in all the Sunday MORNING papers 😡😡
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
fozzieskem

Re: Official Statement - Edwards opts out of Wigan move

Post by fozzieskem »

He was always going to underprepared 8 weeks is buggar all,coaches spend years before getting a crack at a top job and don’t give me this nonsense about how successful he is in union,it’s a completely different sport and it should never have been allowed to get this far,Lenegan has to take the blame for the fantasy that has unfolded over the last few months.

Wigan should wait for no one simple as that
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Bet they've been working weeks together to pen that statement :shock:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

What’s the eight weeks in Australia all about??
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

By The Mole
| 7 hours ago

The Mole: Trent Barrett closing in on Dragons coaching role

Trent Barrett is close to returning ‘home’ to the Dragons in an assistant coach role in the coming months.

Wide World of Sports has learned that the Dragons are close to signing Barrett once Manly stop paying his contract mid-year.

Barrett is a favourite son of the Big Red V, having played three seasons and 45 games for Illawarra from 1996 to 1998 before a further 11 years and 193 games for the merged St George Illawarra.

The former New South Wales and Kangaroos five-eighth then finished his playing career with stints at Wigan and Cronulla before embarking on his disastrous three year coaching stint at Manly.

The Sea Eagles brought in Des Hasler to replace Barrett this season and only weeks ago, Barrett was linked to the Wigan job for 2020.

But he now appears set to join Ben Hornby and Dean Young as Paul McGregor’s assistants at the improving Dragons.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

S Edwards from big head to dick head in one day , just held the club to ransom & upped his status at the clubs expense
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Pathetic. Spin, even Malcolm Tucker couldn’t put spin on that!

Grow up Wigan ffs.

Edwards not welcome. We are a small town with long memories. Omnishambles.

Let’s move on finally and get someone who wants to coach Wigan RLFC
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Tarnished his rep at Wigan for me like.
My favourite player to ever play for Wigan but how he’s handled this situation is nothing short of abysmal.
He’s made a mockery of our club and it shouldn’t of been allowed, IL needs a big kick up the arse!!
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Of all the possible excuses, not enough time to prepare - 15 months - is the most unlikely. so we have an interim coach leading up to .................??? You couldn't make it up! I look forward to the "MORE strong foundations for our wonderful club."