Official Statement - Edwards opts out of Wigan move

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Official Statement - Edwards opts out of Wigan move

Post by Southern Softy »

I don't have any unpleasant feelings for SE - it's been badly handled on all sides but the need is to concentrate on the future now very, very quickly.
Interesting to see that SE said that Wigan need "a more experienced Head Coach."
Time to decide ASAP on next season...…………. or possibly before.
stanthemanc

Post by stanthemanc »

It is time for IL to grow some balls and reply to Edwards letter with one of his own saying something along the lines of.

Dear Mr Edwards .

I am sorry you have decided not to become the head coach of wigan warriors ,i was looking forward to working with you .I do not understand your reasons ,but what is done is done .As the chairman and owner of this great club i have to listen to the fans and the people of wigan,and it is with a heavy heart that i must inform you that you are no longer welcome at this great club . As your decision has damaged not only your reputaion in wigan and the rugby leauge community but also you have damaged the reputaion of the wigan rugby leauge club .I wish you all the best for your future in rugby union.

yours sincerly ian lenagan.

I think we have to look forward now and look at teams around the world at how there coaching set up is , i believe we need a head coach ,a defense coach and an attacking coach as it has proven in the past that one persone cannot do three jobs ,wane was great at defense but crap at attack lam seems to be crap across the board we were great when we had wane incharge but had harris and decon as his assistans .It time to go back also to the person who said give lam 2 more months that is to late 10 games 3 wins is very poor ,we have the players we need the right sort of coach to bring the best out of them and i dont think that is lam .if you look across all sports the right coach can make an average player become a great player,they know how to talk to them and encourge them to become better by telling them there not good enough is not the right way to go . being told week in and week out that your not up to it and your crap ,and the only reason your being picked is due to injuries is not going to encourage them to play out of the skin for the team or the coach.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I don't get why people say our attack was great when deacon was here it was that season that the Waneball comments grew massivley.

Wane and Harris made a very good team and our attack slipped when he left.

From the few things you saw in interviews and behind the scene clips harris did alot of research on the opposition and how best to counter it.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

SE has burned his bridges with Wigan. No longer a "man of his word" it would appear.

IL has behaved like a rank amateur. No signed contract? Laughable.

The only positive *could* be that SE would never have made a good RL coach and that now we will get a half decent one.

The above doesn't excuse SE and IL, both of whom have lost the respect of me, and I suspect, many others
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Has anywhere in world sport seen someone want a job and then say “actually I’m not good enough for it”

Although his statement is pure lies and a bit of a story to smooth it over with spin, coaches do not whatever sport say that.

People would understand if we had Edwards with 2019 form it takes time.

Ah well
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
yonmon

Post by yonmon »

One big publicity stunt........TYPO?????????
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

yonmon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:20 pm One big publicity stunt........TYPO?????????
Don't be daft.

No-one has come out of this with credit.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I'm glad it's all over, now we need to move on. I hope they wait for another month or so if they're seriously thinking of giving Lammy the job for the future. I'm also relieved that Trent Barrett appears to have another job option too. I think whoever takes over next season has a huge job on their hands. Just imagine this squad without George or Budgie (likely to leave?) and probably Dom, Lockers and Tommy. Yes, we have plenty of promising youngsters but is the boss prepared to spend enough to add some quality to a squad which looks far inferior to the one which won the Grand Final last season? I'd be happy with a 'long-term plan' so long as the situation was explained to us but continued cost cutting will not see us progress.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Would there be any point in investing in the team this year for a 1 year coach.

The next coach might have different plans for the team. Thats exactly how we got Greenwood. New coach didnt want him.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

No, but some season long loans would be nice