The Club's Philophosy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jobo

Re: The Club's Philophosy

Post by jobo »

pedro wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:41 am
pedro wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:50 am

I did at the start of the thread and so did ddtftf
DaveO was quoting Ted’s post no one else’s!
yeah I know, and Ted was replying to me and ddtftf
So why didn't DaveO reply to either you or ddtftf rather than Ted?
pedro

Post by pedro »

because he was agreeing with us and was arguing the point ted made after...you can just read back and see it if you want eh
jobo

Post by jobo »

pedro wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:09 pm because he was agreeing with us and was arguing the point ted made after...you can just read back and see it if you want eh
Doesn't read like that to me but heyho.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:08 pm DaveO, I said we'd won more than Saints and Wire this past ten years. I didn't mention Leeds for the reasons you have stated which we all know anyway . As for our experienced players being past it. Any number of our experienced players are not past it. You may consider some past it and we have a very good idea who you are thinking of.
You may as well have said we'd won more than Wakey and Cas. If we aren't as successful as the most successful side if we are looking at recent history I am not sure what the point is.

This current crisis is not entirely unexpected is it and if a team decides to let it's best players go and doesn't replace them it doesn't really matter how much we won in the last ten years if the result is we end up in a relegation fight.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

ddtftf wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:20 pm Warrington / Saints / Leeds / etc etc
they've got the brains and more importantly the willingness to get round the cap ,we don't, lenegans quite happy to hide behind it.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Whilst on one side of the fence I am curious as to how Leeds, Wire and Saints can afford all of these overseas players when comparing to our squads over the last couple of years.

But a large part of me thinks the clubs ethos of promoting from within, favoring local lads, re-singing ex players and project players could be the reason we are up to the cap with no room. Time and time again over the years the quote has been "Whilst a top earner XXX has left the club, the additional salary cap space has been used to give improved contracts to X, Y and Z."

What I cannot fathom is how we are up to the cap the year after letting Joel Tomkins, Sam Tomkins, Batemen, Sutton go, whilst replacing them with Greenwood, Hardaker, Bullock, Sammut.

Doesn't add up to me.

One of the below is true however:

1 - Either we are up to the cap, meaning the squad are paid over the odds and it has been mismanaged.
2 - We are not up to the cap, and we either cannot afford to buy a player or have the belief that better players than we have are not available.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:37 pm One of the below is true however:

1 - Either we are up to the cap, meaning the squad are paid over the odds and it has been mismanaged.
2 - We are not up to the cap, and we either cannot afford to buy a player or have the belief that better players than we have are not available.
I posted about all the Wigan players helping the championship with over ten players (at least) on loan and was informed that because they were not in the top 25 that they didn't count on our cap (although we MUST be paying them something)

Correct or not it did get me thinking that there is another option.

Wigan might have a playing cost of £2m across the board/levels NOT at the cap as keeps being mentioned as realistically numbers appear to not add up. So we are well under the cap BUT IL is not prepared to spend more on wages whilst the club struggles to draw fans and sponsors back to the club

Is this a possibility?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
pedro

Post by pedro »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:46 pm

I posted about all the Wigan players helping the championship with over ten players (at least) on loan and was informed that because they were not in the top 25 that they didn't count on our cap (although we MUST be paying them something)

Wigan might have a playing cost of £2m across the board/levels NOT at the cap as keeps being mentioned as realistically numbers appear to not add up. So we are well under the cap BUT IL is not prepared to spend more on wages whilst the club struggles to draw fans and sponsors back to the club

Is this a possibility?
Thats what I think is happening, book balancing now
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:46 pm

Is this a possibility?
No.
Read the rules. Section 3.1.1.
https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/ ... html#p=272
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

IL is not prepared to spend big money that is obvious and has not been for a long time, yes he is trying to get his money back and we are not up to the cap.Comment on this post and criticise if you wish but It will not change my mind ever.