George Williams (Tell an Aussie)

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ausbaz

George Williams (Tell an Aussie)

Post by ausbaz »

Hey all, I’m a Raiders fan here in Canberra. I just wanted to get Wigan fans info on Williams. Over here we hear from reporters that he’s coming, but the Raiders have denied it and are not announcing anything. What are you hearing there?

Also what is he like? I try to watch as much as I can of the Super league but it is nothing like you guys watching weekly. Is he an organising 7? Or more like a running/ ball playing 6?
josie andrews

Re: George Williams (Tell an Aussie)

Post by josie andrews »

I was told last August that he was going to you guys, then heard about him actually signing earlier this year 😟 I just wish it wasn’t true.

George has a lot of talent that may suit the Aussie style of play. He’s a bit hit & miss sometimes but I think that’s because he tries to do too much on his own.

Hope this helps 😊

I just wish you Aussies would stop calling our competition though, because you keep coming stealing our players so we must be doing something right! 😊🏉🍒⚪️ #WiganAlways
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ausbaz

Post by ausbaz »

The English forwards have always been really tough and suited to the NRL. Only the backs are hit and miss in our Comp normally. I hope if George does come over he ends up as good as Widdop has.

I feel for you guys losing the talent you have recently. Losing talent is normal for us Raiders fans haha.
markill

Post by markill »

Williams is an incredibly talented player with all the skills, creates a lot even though he has some flaws still he's a game-changer. He's much more of a running/ball playing type than an organiser. mostly excellent short kicking game, even if he does go to it a little quickly sometimes, strong offloader, good range of passing, speedy support runner. He can play both sides of the ruck but does most of his damage on the left side. Having a good line runner like Whitehead or Tapine outside him and a quick winger like Cotric and you'll see great things.

He's also one of the strongest tackling halves I've ever seen, not that defence is a reason to sign a half.

He lacks a little in terms of decision making and organising. I've often said if he made the right decision twice as much as he does already then he would be the best player in our comp by a mile.

We're going to miss him massively.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

He reminds me a lot of Widdop, when I watch an Aussie game with him in it, he doesn't always stand out, but you know he's playing well as those around him are benefiting.

I think Williams will be a big hit in Australia, I just hope when he does sign, he doesn't say my Second rower, Centre and Winger are also really good and all fancy either another go or a chance over there.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

He’s full of both talent and flaws and if we Wigan fans are being honest in need of a move,will he succeed down under I don’t know to be honest
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

He's primarily a running half, very fast but doesn't make too many of his own breaks. Give him opportunities to support and run and he should be good. But if you expect him to organise an attack I think he'll come up short. He has learned a short kick and a cut out pass over the last few seasons and to me they don't look like natural skills, but he made them effective. My main problem is that he doesn't always take the right option.

IMO he's just the sort of UK player with deficiencies in his game that will be exploited in the NRL and its likely he won't be a success. He's just the sort of player that the NRL doesn't like. The opposite of a Bateman who was solid in all aspects. But I'm probably totally wrong because he's clearly got a lot of potential, so maybe his move to the NRL will make him the player he could be.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

He has taken a lot of stick over here as he tends to drift in and out of a game, unless he has a good pack taking him forward he goes into his shell rather than taking the game buy the horns . He is a good tackler put has poor organising skills unlike a Hastings or Widdop have.

Hope he does well but Sam Tomkins didnt make it at the Warriors in the NRL and he was a better player than George.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Ausbaz, George will be a huge loss for us. I think, with the correct coaching he will be better than Widdop. Please send him back after one or two seasons provided that he's not injured.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

ausbaz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:36 am
Also what is he like? I try to watch as much as I can of the Super league but it is nothing like you guys watching weekly. Is he an organising 7? Or more like a running/ ball playing 6?
Very much the latter. Why did you guys get rid of Blake Austin? He is a similar kind of player.

But the NRL can improve players. You mention Widdop; for me, he is twice the player now that he was two or three years ago. And look at Josh Dugan! I remember when he played for the Raiders, I could watch him and he could go a full 80 without ever making a pass! OK, he's not exactly Cooper Cronk, but he has learnt a bit!