Wigan Warriors' attack watered down by DW Stadium sprinklers, says Oliver Gildart

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' attack watered down by DW Stadium sprinklers, says Oliver Gildart

Post by josie andrews »

Oliver Gildart says Wigan’s attack is being hosed down at home – because the pitch is being watered before kick-off.

The sprinklers were out again on Thursday night ahead of their 18-8 win against London.

And England centre Gildart, one of the side’s most potent strike weapons, says it is frustrating.

“It looked like it was ideal conditions but they watered the pitch... it’s pretty annoying,” said Gildart.

“The pitch was like it was rained on, it doesn’t help my game. From a fan’s point of view they must wonder why there’s so much dropped ball, but it’s as if it’s raining, the ball is a bar of soap.

“Against Catalans, we had a dry track and it suits us. As outside backs, we’re not the biggest but we have agility and on a dry track we'd like to think we can be dominant.

“But (watering the pitch) slows the game down, and it makes it hard work for us.”

Former coach Shaun Wane complained about the watering of the pitch last season. Wigan now have a seven week break from home to allow for any pitch maintenance work and he hopes the DW Stadium management look into the issue when they return.

“I’d like it if they looked into it,” he said. “Hopefully when we get back here they won’t water it as much.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9748019
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
endoman

Re: Wigan Warriors' attack watered down by DW Stadium sprinklers, says Oliver Gildart

Post by endoman »

As no one will be using it for ages now it makes no sense whatsover to water it pre match. I know they do it for soccer to help the ball be quicker off the surface, but it's time someone said a firm no when they water it before rugby, Gildart is spot on, it spoils the spectacle.
Caboosegg

Re: Wigan Warriors' attack watered down by DW Stadium sprinklers, says Oliver Gildart

Post by Caboosegg »

That pathetic excuse would only work if it wasnt just Wigan making the handling errors.

Apart from london (who are bottom of the league) its been embarassing how much ball we are dropping compared to our opponents.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

What a stupid excuse.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Against Catalan you had a Catalan side that seemed uninterested hence the score line as forwatering the pitch when something sounds like an excuse it generally is one.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

josie andrews wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:16 am Oliver Gildart says Wigan’s attack is being hosed down at home – because the pitch is being watered before kick-off.

The sprinklers were out again on Thursday night ahead of their 18-8 win against London.

And England centre Gildart, one of the side’s most potent strike weapons, says it is frustrating.

“It looked like it was ideal conditions but they watered the pitch... it’s pretty annoying,” said Gildart.

“The pitch was like it was rained on, it doesn’t help my game. From a fan’s point of view they must wonder why there’s so much dropped ball, but it’s as if it’s raining, the ball is a bar of soap.

“Against Catalans, we had a dry track and it suits us. As outside backs, we’re not the biggest but we have agility and on a dry track we'd like to think we can be dominant.

“But (watering the pitch) slows the game down, and it makes it hard work for us.”

Former coach Shaun Wane complained about the watering of the pitch last season. Wigan now have a seven week break from home to allow for any pitch maintenance work and he hopes the DW Stadium management look into the issue when they return.

“I’d like it if they looked into it,” he said. “Hopefully when we get back here they won’t water it as much.”

Are they relaying the pitch again? It looked very good on Thursday night and wondered why we are not at home for so long if it’s in good condition.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

This has been talked about for some years. Gildart isn't saying anything new.
Last year Wire visited on one of hottest days of the year. The sprinklers were on right until kick off.
The first 20 minutes were the proverbial knockonathon from both teams.
I brought this up at a meeting and was told,right or wrong, that it was part of the deal between the SMC and the providers/builders of the pitch and in with the maintenance deal.
The club are fully aware of the problem.
Like it or not, part of a deal or not the reason for all this watering of the pitch appears to be that the pitch has become more important than the rugby played on it.
Now that is a real problem!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Fujiman wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:56 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:16 am Oliver Gildart says Wigan’s attack is being hosed down at home – because the pitch is being watered before kick-off.

Are they relaying the pitch again? It looked very good on Thursday night and wondered why we are not at home for so long if it’s in good condition.
They are putting weed killer on the grass then reseeding it!

It looked very good on Thursday night and wondered why we are not at home for so long if it’s in good condition.

I said exactly the same thing!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

I commented to my mate Thursday the pitch is in a brilliant condition he replied to be fair theres been no rugby or football been played on it this season so far :lol: :lol:
moto748

Post by moto748 »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:12 pm I commented to my mate Thursday the pitch is in a brilliant condition he replied to be fair theres been no rugby or football been played on it this season so far :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: