Wigan Warriors target New Zealand prop for 2020

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors target New Zealand prop for 2020

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan are tracking Kiwi prop Mitch Clark.

The 26-year-old has pinged on their radar as a possible target for 2020.

Clark is out of contract with Castleford at the end of this season.

And the Warriors are thought to want him on board to strengthen their front-row options.

Clark was born in the UK while his dad, Trevor, was playing at Bradford. He represented the Junior Kiwis in 2013 and moved to England before playing in the NRL, working his way up the ranks from Doncaster to Bradford and then Hull KR, before joining the Tigers on a two-year deal.

Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan revealed last week they were working hard to secure “some new arrivals” for next season.

Australian halfback Jackson Hastings is again thought to be a target, having missed out on him last autumn.

Hastings, who has been hugely influential for Salford, has not signed anywhere and said last week he is in “no rush” to make a decision.

After ex-Manly player Hastings rejected Wigan, they signed Aussie Jarrod Sammut, who is currently sidelined by injury. Academy-product Jake Shorrocks is currently starting at halfback while Harry Smith and Josh Woods are on loan in the Championship.

But with George Williams expected to move to Canberra in 2020, joining Ryan Sutton and John Bateman at the Green Machine, there is an opening for a star signing.

Coach Adrian Lam, favourite to stay on at the Warriors next term, is a big admirer of Hastings.

The salary cap limit rises to £2.1m next year and Wigan would also have the option of recruiting two marquee players – meaning a chunk of their wages don’t count on the cap – if Williams departs.

Warriors have several players off-contract this year – including Joe Burgess, Tony Clubb, Dan Sarginson, Sean O’Loughlin and Thomas Leuluai – and have been working through renewals.

Meanwhile, Matty Peet has returned to Wigan to bolster their backroom staff

He left his role as head of youth at the end of last season to join Sale Sharks but is back at the Warriors. With Mick Cassidy in his old role, Peet will assist with the first-team.

Lam already has John Winder as an assistant while Darrell Goulding also has some first-team duties.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9751703
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mickw

Re: Wigan Warriors target New Zealand prop for 2020

Post by Mickw »

One word ,.cheap
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Ambition has left the club
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Mitch Clarke might be seen as a cheap signing but he's also a beast of a forward who runs the ball in like a prop forward should. A forward like we haven't got at the moment.

I'm happy with this potential signing as he's effective and won't cost a lot.

Matt
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

adiddy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:39 am Mitch Clarke might be seen as a cheap signing but he's also a beast of a forward who runs the ball in like a prop forward should. A forward like we haven't got at the moment.

Matt
I agree with this.

I've seen him a few times and hes cut from the same cloth as Bullock who was also considered cheap.
Also, check out cas fans reactions to this news. They aren't happy one bit.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I stopped reading after “out of contract with Castleford this year”

Ffs
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Meanwhile Catalans are interested in SBW!

We are wigan ffs we should be linked to names like that
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:18 pm
adiddy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:39 am Mitch Clarke might be seen as a cheap signing but he's also a beast of a forward who runs the ball in like a prop forward should. A forward like we haven't got at the moment.

Matt
I agree with this.

I've seen him a few times and hes cut from the same cloth as Bullock who was also considered cheap.
Also, check out cas fans reactions to this news. They aren't happy one bit.
Welcome to the middle of the pack mentality

I get that fans want to remain positive but the two posts above just sum up where Wigan are now.

On Bullock i feel we are getting the Sam Powell syndrome here, because he's better than most people thought he'd be he's being mistaken for very good which im sorry he isnt. He is ok, thats it, hes a filler prop a work horse you have in your team in the acceptance that you cant have superstars across the board. He isnt a pack leader nor does he bring anything but hard work. Im not trying to put him down as he is doing a good job for us but lets not use him as the yard stick for good props.

He is basically the same as a mossop or crosby - two props deemed not good enough for Wigan a few years ago - just because he came from the championship it skews expectation.

Again im not trying to sound negative but fans seem to accept that this is the Wigan standard of player, its just like when we were signing all the dross we signed years ago like Wilkes, Botham, James, Withers, Mcavoy, Millard etc - yeah some of them did better than expected but dont confuse performing slightly over a low expectation to performing
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
moto748

Post by moto748 »

ancientnloyal wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:42 pm I stopped reading after “out of contract with Castleford this year”

Ffs
Cas are a better side than Wigan right now all across the park. Almost any of their players (with one or two exceptions), parachuted into the current Wigan side, would improve it.

You may resent that, but it's where we are.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

moto748 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:46 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:42 pm I stopped reading after “out of contract with Castleford this year”

Ffs
Cas are a better side than Wigan right now all across the park. Almost any of their players (with one or two exceptions), parachuted into the current Wigan side, would improve it.

You may resent that, but it's where we are.
And how are we going to change that by taking their cast offs? if you accept they have a better team then taking players they deem not good enough is hardly going to change that is it? put it this way do you think Cas fans would rather us take Clark or Watts?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure