Reports – Wane interested in Leeds job

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Reports – Wane interested in Leeds job

Post by josie andrews »

The Guardian are reporting that Shaun Wane is interested in succeeding Dave Furner as Leeds head coach.

The Rhinos this morning sacked Furner just 14 games into his three-year deal, placing Richard Agar in temporary charge.

And just seven months after guiding his beloved Wigan to the Super League title, reporter Aaron Bower claims Wane is keen to speak to Leeds about the vacancy.

Wane departed rugby league in October to take up a coaching role with Scotland RU, but a return is potentially on the cards with the club he had a three-year playing stint at in the 1990s.

Cronulla Sharks former Premiership winning coach Shane Flanagan has already been linked with the role and is among a growing list of candidates.

Super League sponsors Betfred make Wane, interim coach Agar and ex-Halifax boss Richard Marshall joint 5/1 favourites to take charge at the Rhinos.

Flanagan is next in the running with Castleford’s Daryl Powell and London’s Danny Ward, who are both former Leeds players, priced 8/1 and 10/1 respectively.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/reports- ... job-20486/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: Reports – Wane interested in Leeds job

Post by morley pie eater »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... gby-league

It's just paper talk at the moment based on SW saying he'd return to RL and the fact he played for Leeds.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yeah, just paper talk I imagine.

Bookies' favourite, thoughbut.

You can get 50/1 on Shaun Edwards! :lol:
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If Leeds need anything right now its a defence minded coach.
How would Waney feel about Hetherington deciding who they sign and release?
They need a new coach alright but not as much as new players.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:17 pm
Deja vu? :D
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

moto748 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:48 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:17 pm
Deja vu? :D
hurhur :twisted:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane says he hasn't ruled anything out after being named as one of the bookies' front-runners for the vacant Leeds coaching position.

Wane, who left Wigan at the end of last season, is 5/1 second-favourite with Super League sponsors Betfred to take over from sacked Dave Furner.

"I have not had any contact with Leeds," said Wane. "I've always said I'd like to work in rugby league again at some point and I've not ruled anything out.

"But at the same time I'm very happy with my role with Scotland RU, as well as my keynote speaking and business interests."

Wane resigned from Wigan at the end of last season with a haul including three Grand Final wins, a Challenge Cup triumph and an historic World Club Challenge victory.

Ex-Warriors forward Furner was today axed just 14 games into a three-year deal. Australia's Daily Telegraph reports he is planning legal action.

Assistant Richard Agar is in temporary charge and Leeds' director of rugby Kevin Sinfield says there is no need to rush into making a permanent successor.

Ex-Halifax coach Richard Marshall is the narrow favourite, at 4/1, with Agar also 5/1 with Wane.

Castleford's Daryl Powell (8/1), London's Danny Ward (10/1) and overseas coach Shane Flanagan (10/1), Anthony Griffin (10/1), Adam O'Brien (12/1) and Jason Demetriou (12/1) are also in the mix.

Sinfield, Wakefield boss Chris Chester, ex-Leeds and Warrington boss Tony Smith and Hull KR's Tim Sheens are all 16/1.

Brian McDermott is 20/1 to return while the outsiders include York's James Ford, Leeds assistant Rob Burrow and Salford boss Ian Watson are all 25/1.

Those wanting a more adventurous wager could opt for Shaun Edwards at 50/1, while outspoken Leeds great Garry Schofield is 100/1.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/ex-wig ... -1-9753909
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan