Who’d you have as next coach?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.

Next coach?

Poll ended at Sun May 12, 2019 1:37 pm

Adrian Lam
28%
Trent Barrett
2%
Paul Deacon
4%
Shaun Wane
15%
Chris Chester
9%
José Mourinho
6%
Tony Smith
4%
Current NRL coach/ast
30%
Current SL coach
No votes
Ex-Wigan player
2%

Total votes: 47

medlocke

Re: Who’d you have as next coach?

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:34 am Gone for the NRL or assistant NRL coach.

Regardless of whether Lam can secure results going forward and despite the fact he's been dealt a poor hand with injuries and loss of key players I don't think he is the man for the job.

We need a coach who will instill the same sort of ethos throughout the club like Madge did and a coach who will stand up to IL and Rads. Not a yes man which is how I feel Lam will be. I just think he will accept whatever he is given and isn't someone to impose himself on the club off field. We need a coach who will drop poor players, tell IL to get rid of the dross and say what the squad needs.
We need a coach with no past ties to the club then
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:56 am
We need a coach with no past ties to the club then
I would say so. That said I think Lam has been away long enough so he ought to be able to function as someone like that but I don't think he can. There can't be many players besides Lockers who were knocking around in the club back in 2004 when Lam was here and neither Rads nor IL were in charge then. I just think Lam is in a weak position because basically he needs the job. It's not like an NRL coach who Wigan were trying to persuade to come here who if they didn't get what they wanted would be quite likely to walk away.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

If we got an NRL coach, realistically it wouldn't be a successful one or they'd get a job in the NRL. So it's a former successful coach whose methods are out of date (eg Tim Sheens or Monie Mark 2), a failed coach, or an up-and-coming assistant coach (eg Madge or Lammy).

The problem with the last option is finding the Madge and avoiding the Lam.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:53 pm If we got an NRL coach, realistically it wouldn't be a successful one or they'd get a job in the NRL. So it's a former successful coach whose methods are out of date (eg Tim Sheens or Monie Mark 2), a failed coach, or an up-and-coming assistant coach (eg Madge or Lammy).

Well yes but that is IL and Rads job. There is a huge difference between Madge and Lam's pre head coach CV's.

Madge was assistant coach for the Raiders' reserve grade then assistant coach of the first team under Elliott. He went to the Storm in 2004 as assistant to Craig Bellamy and took control of the first team when Bellamy was doing State of Origin. So six years at Melbourne doing that before coming here.

Lam on the other hand had a couple of years at the Roosters , one at the Dragons as assistant before dropping down to junior team coach at the Dragons for a couple of years and that was back in 2010/11 so that was his last involvement at club level. Since 2007 he has coached PNG of and on though he left in 2009 being reappointed in 2012. Nothing since 2012 other than PNG which is part time.

So if I were looking for an NRL assistant as potential Wigan coach I'd be looking for one with a CV similar to Madge's, not Lams.

Saints found one with a similar background to Madge in Holbrook so it is not unrealistic to think we can do the same.

I'd go as far as to say Lam's CV has nothing to recommend him as a head coach. An assistant maybe and perhaps that was a possibility with Edwards had that worked out if Lam decided he was up for a job for longer than a year but Lam's CV has "stop gap" written all over it.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:19 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:53 pm If we got an NRL coach, realistically it wouldn't be a successful one or they'd get a job in the NRL. So it's a former successful coach whose methods are out of date (eg Tim Sheens or Monie Mark 2), a failed coach, or an up-and-coming assistant coach (eg Madge or Lammy).

Well yes but that is IL and Rads job. There is a huge difference between Madge and Lam's pre head coach CV's.

Madge was assistant coach for the Raiders' reserve grade then assistant coach of the first team under Elliott. He went to the Storm in 2004 as assistant to Craig Bellamy and took control of the first team when Bellamy was doing State of Origin. So six years at Melbourne doing that before coming here.

Lam on the other hand had a couple of years at the Roosters , one at the Dragons as assistant before dropping down to junior team coach at the Dragons for a couple of years and that was back in 2010/11 so that was his last involvement at club level. Since 2007 he has coached PNG of and on though he left in 2009 being reappointed in 2012. Nothing since 2012 other than PNG which is part time.

So if I were looking for an NRL assistant as potential Wigan coach I'd be looking for one with a CV similar to Madge's, not Lams.

Saints found one with a similar background to Madge in Holbrook so it is not unrealistic to think we can do the same.

I'd go as far as to say Lam's CV has nothing to recommend him as a head coach. An assistant maybe and perhaps that was a possibility with Edwards had that worked out if Lam decided he was up for a job for longer than a year but Lam's CV has "stop gap" written all over it.
Well explained, Dave.

Leneghan recently boasted about his success in appointing coaches. Since when his record has gone south . . . Maguire, Wane, Lam . . er . . Edwards? What confidence can we have in his ability to find a replacement for Lam given that, to any decent coach, the job must look much less attractive now than, say, when SW first announced he was going?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

MPE, I completely disagree. His track record is superb. McDermott was a fantastic choice for London, plucking McGuire out of the NRL to get the best out of the wonderful squad he had put together to replace Noble (whom he inherited) was genius. Wane won and won and won. In his own style, but we have enjoyed a decade of glorious success. Lam was deliberately a stop gap, and Edwards made a lot of sense.

I fail to see what more he could have done, and am sure he deserves the trust and backing of the fans who have so enjoyed these glory years.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:59 pm MPE, I completely disagree. His track record is superb. McDermott was a fantastic choice for London, plucking McGuire out of the NRL to get the best out of the wonderful squad he had put together to replace Noble (whom he inherited) was genius. Wane won and won and won. In his own style, but we have enjoyed a decade of glorious success. Lam was deliberately a stop gap, and Edwards made a lot of sense.

I fail to see what more he could have done, and am sure he deserves the trust and backing of the fans who have so enjoyed these glory years.
You are right he inherited Noble but IL's mistake was not getting shut quick enough. So he could have done that for a start.

He made the same mistake with Wane. That decade of success is one of underachievement in my book given the squad and ethos he inherited. The Challenge Cup record for Wane is poor. Wane was appointed without being assistant to anyone other than Madge. Madge and Holbrook at Saints served far longer apprenticeships in the NRL.

The appointment of Madge was genius in that it was unusual to appoint an assistant coach as a head coach but with his coaching CV you can see why he did it. Saints took a leaf right out of that book with Holbrook. He also had assistant coach experience for quite a few years of a first grade NRL team.

If you compare Lam, Madges and Holbrook's pre head coach CV's and those three were on your shortlist there is no way Lam makes the cut.

IL's one coaching appointment that was genius is Madge. It's not putting trust in IL if he appoints Lam, it's nothing but blind faith.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

There are 3 big coaching decisions he has made:

- McDermott was a fantastic decision;
- McGuire (until he disappeared to the beach once he had his NRL contract) was a great decision; and
- under Wane we won the big prize on multiple occasions (and would have won one more had Flower not played against Saints).

It may be fair to be dismissive about Lam’s CV relative to Holbrook’s but of course he was not chosen as a head coach. As far as interim coaches go, his was a more than useful CV.

We don’t know who will be the next coach, yet, but IL is 3 from 3 for mine. The outstanding candidate for my money is Flanagan, but, from what I have seen over the last decade plus, IL can rightly be proud of his track record.

I am sorry that this era has been a disappointment. Each to their own. I have enjoyed it far more than the one preceded it that’s for sure.
Wes

Post by Wes »

I’d have Lam if he had free reign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:There are 3 big coaching decisions he has made:

- McDermott was a fantastic decision;
- McGuire (until he disappeared to the beach once he had his NRL contract) was a great decision; and
- under Wane we won the big prize on multiple occasions (and would have won one more had Flower not played against Saints).

It may be fair to be dismissive about Lam’s CV relative to Holbrook’s but of course he was not chosen as a head coach. As far as interim coaches go, his was a more than useful CV.

We don’t know who will be the next coach, yet, but IL is 3 from 3 for mine. The outstanding candidate for my money is Flanagan, but, from what I have seen over the last decade plus, IL can rightly be proud of his track record.

I am sorry that this era has been a disappointment. Each to their own. I have enjoyed it far more than the one preceded it that’s for sure.
What do you mean Holbrook wasn’t chosen as head coach? For Wigan? Lam has never been head coach for an NRL side either if that is what you meant. What has any of that that got do do with Wigan’s next coach?

All I am doing is pointing out the difference between the CV’s and saying we should go and and look for similar to Madge and Holbrook in the NRL, not chose Lam.

IL has had three coaches. Noble who he kept too long, Madge who was brilliant and Wane who under achieved. There is no logic that says because he appointed Madge and Wane whatever your views on their success that says his appointment of Lam (if he does give him the job) is worth trusting IL for. It’s the cheap easy option and it is most definitely not based on his coaching record.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk