New Signings Are On The Way

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Woody1989

Re: New Signings Are On The Way

Post by Woody1989 »

Owen Farrell would be a risk so, despite the salary cap dispensation for RU players, it probably wouldn't be worth paying him Union wages (presuming that we could afford that). Plus I believe RU players don't count on the cap for the first season but after that 50% of their salary counts? If that's the case then when his second season comes around he would be taking a sizeable chunk of the cap (even at just 50%).

Having said that, he is the kind of national name that would generate interest and maybe put some bums on seats.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We never know how the finances are at Cas.
They have said they are in a good position but with their new ground progressing it will take funds to run the preparation. Last home att was 5.3k which won't put money in the bank.

If Wigan (or any club) were to offer a sizeable six figure fee for McMeekin then the Cas BoD might be tempted.
He's a very good player and Wigan's decision then is who would they play at 13 between McMeekin, Farrell and Greenwood when Lockers decides to retire from playing.
Cracking rumour, hope we can sign him.
6742hitch

Post by 6742hitch »

Just seen that Hull FC are already approaching the NRL, speaking to George Burgess, Bronco’s Alex Glenn, Kane Evans, all big, direct running forwards who never look tired after 15mins! Wonder if KR has spoken to any of these?
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

6742hitch wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:41 am Just seen that Hull FC are already approaching the NRL, speaking to George Burgess, Bronco’s Alex Glenn, Kane Evans, all big, direct running forwards who never look tired after 15mins! Wonder if KR has spoken to any of these?
I've heard a rumour that we're looking at George Burgess but we're unlikely to get him as Leeds are in for him and he was a Leeds fan growing up.

Not sure how much truth there is in it though, we'll be getting linked to most big names as we have a marquee place free (soon to become 2 marquee places once Williams is gone).
moto748

Post by moto748 »

6742hitch wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:41 am Just seen that Hull FC are already approaching the NRL, speaking to George Burgess, Bronco’s Alex Glenn, Kane Evans, all big, direct running forwards who never look tired after 15mins! Wonder if KR has spoken to any of these?
That's something that really bugs me. Why do Wigan front-rowers (and most other SL clubs, to be fair) have to be spelled after 20 minutes, when in the tougher comp of the NRL, Sam Burgess and the 37 year old Paul Gallen can manage a full 80, with the likes of JWH and Fifita not far behind?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:32 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:20 pm Sorry but I buy the Owen Farrell story,in a year of cost cutting we are expected to believe Wigan could afford the wages he would be on?
Im sorry but bar one comment made last year when we did lose alot of staff and players at the end of it. this cost cutting is just hearsay and opinion by fans!!

That isnt saying i believe the rumour though.
IL asking Sam T to take a pay cut is not hearsay and opinion by fans. It's a fact. So is the loss Wigan are making and players and staff leaving from Micky Mac to Bitcon with them not being replaced. Also facts. If you can't see that this is cost cutting you aren't looking very hard.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Again, I don’t want to cut across an opinion, stated as an assertion of the truth, but:

- it was reasonable to ask Sam to stay for reduced wages, given everything we paid him and how little we got in return;

- we will need to wait and see what the overall wage bill is, but aren’t we now running more teams and have more staff than ever.

To cite 2 isolated examples, and extrapolate those into infinity is fine, without needing to put down others who are less certain.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:16 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:20 pm Sorry but I buy the Owen Farrell story,in a year of cost cutting we are expected to believe Wigan could afford the wages he would be on?
Im sorry but bar one comment made last year when we did lose alot of staff and players at the end of it. this cost cutting is just hearsay and opinion by fans!!

IL asking Sam T to take a pay cut is not hearsay and opinion by fans. It's a fact. So is the loss Wigan are making and players and staff leaving from Micky Mac to Bitcon with them not being replaced. Also facts. If you can't see that this is cost cutting you aren't looking very hard.
Is it fact link me some proof DaveO?

Tomkins said the deal he was offered was very high but hed made he choice by then.

If im wrong i will hold my hands up but without evidence its again just hearsay.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Regardless of the Tomkins situation you only need to look at

Players left vs arrived
Staff left vs arrived

To devise that the club are clearly cost cutting.

If they’re not cost cutting and they think the current squad and set up is good enough then IL and KR have got to go.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:03 pm
DaveO wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Is it fact link me some proof DaveO?

Tomkins said the deal he was offered was very high but hed made he choice by then.

If im wrong i will hold my hands up but without evidence its again just hearsay.
IFL said it at the AGM.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards