Leeds fail in incredible move to try re-sign Danny McGuire

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leeds fail in incredible move to try re-sign Danny McGuire

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos have tried and failed with a sensational bid to bring Danny McGuire back to the club for the final months of his playing career.

McGuire has already confirmed that this season will be his last as a player, but League Express can reveal that the Rhinos enquired with Hull Kingston Rovers about a sensational switch for the 36-year-old for the remainder of this season..

http://www.totalrl.com/premium-leeds-fa ... y-mcguire/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Leeds fail in incredible move to try re-sign Danny McGuire

Post by fozzieskem »

Dear me they really are utterly desperate aren't they?

Perhaps though they should have thought about this before releasing him in the first place?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

So they have more room on the cap do they? Dont tell me, pre season, they only used half the cap...... even after signing lolohea, hurrell and merrin? What a load of s%%%e
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Oh and i forgot they signed another player a few weeks ago( forget his name)....... when is the points reduction coming???
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Firestarter wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:55 pm Oh and i forgot they signed another player a few weeks ago( forget his name)....... when is the points reduction coming???

Ava Seumanufagai. You should know by now only Wigan have to play by the rules.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:03 am
Firestarter wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:55 pm Oh and i forgot they signed another player a few weeks ago( forget his name)....... when is the points reduction coming???

Ava Seumanufagai. You should know by now only Wigan have to play by the rules.
And they got Wellington Albert a few week back as well, But when you pay players so little you can afford to bring another 12 in under the cap :o
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

We should not laught too much. It's pretty obvious in the McGuire, Burrow and Sinfield era Leeds managed to keep hold of these and a few other very good SL standard players not losing them to the NRL or RU unlike the disruption we saw.

But it is now also obvious they had as much idea as to how to replace them when they retired as we do with Lockers and TL, i.e. none.

We ourselves have gone running back to re-sign ex players taking the easy option and I'd argue the only one who worked out was S Tomkins and some people don't even think he was a brilliant re-acquisition. Burgess has yet to prove he was worth it and the rest didn't do much at all. Our panic re-signing of Sarge when Gelling left was pretty pathetic.

OK, we were not panicking to the extent this indicates Leeds are but we clearly could not see beyond former players of ours who became available. We need to be careful and these new signings IL has promised need to be good players who can be moulded into a team (which implies a good coach not just taking Lam as the easy option) or we will be following in Leeds footsteps.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane - I’d talk to Leeds Rhinos over coaching role

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... -1-9765157
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:08 pm We should not laught too much. It's pretty obvious in the McGuire, Burrow and Sinfield era Leeds managed to keep hold of these and a few other very good SL standard players not losing them to the NRL or RU unlike the disruption we saw.

But it is now also obvious they had as much idea as to how to replace them when they retired as we do with Lockers and TL, i.e. none.

We ourselves have gone running back to re-sign ex players taking the easy option and I'd argue the only one who worked out was S Tomkins and some people don't even think he was a brilliant re-acquisition. Burgess has yet to prove he was worth it and the rest didn't do much at all. Our panic re-signing of Sarge when Gelling left was pretty pathetic.

OK, we were not panicking to the extent this indicates Leeds are but we clearly could not see beyond former players of ours who became available. We need to be careful and these new signings IL has promised need to be good players who can be moulded into a team (which implies a good coach not just taking Lam as the easy option) or we will be following in Leeds footsteps.
I know it doesnt fit with the narrative DaveO but there is a big difference between resigning ex players still in their prime vs a ex player who is at the end of his career and his hanging up his boots.

If we had signed back richards on his superleague return youd have a point but many of these playes we didnt want to let go.

We picked up Greenwood, probably the best buy in recent seasons and to play devil advocate, when tomkins returned to SL and we needed another fullback due ti Bowens age/retirement who would you have rather we had? On paper to me Tomkins was the best available fullback its just a shame he had been treated for the wrong injury.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:08 pm We should not laught too much. It's pretty obvious in the McGuire, Burrow and Sinfield era Leeds managed to keep hold of these and a few other very good SL standard players not losing them to the NRL or RU unlike the disruption we saw.

I know it doesnt fit with the narrative DaveO but there is a big difference between resigning ex players still in their prime vs a ex player who is at the end of his career and his hanging up his boots.

If we had signed back richards on his superleague return youd have a point but many of these playes we didnt want to let go.

We picked up Greenwood, probably the best buy in recent seasons and to play devil advocate, when tomkins returned to SL and we needed another fullback due ti Bowens age/retirement who would you have rather we had? On paper to me Tomkins was the best available fullback its just a shame he had been treated for the wrong injury.
Are you replying to anything I have written there?

The point I am making is we might laugh at Leeds chasing a former player of his age but we rush to resign former players and also seemingly want a player a year older than the one they are chasing to go around again. Greenwood’s signing has nothing to do with it.

Lenegan could not wait to resign the first players who wanted to head back to prove his point about letting them go regardless of whether we needed them or seeing if better was available. As to S Tomkins I said he was the one that worked out so why are you even asking who I would have rather had? I didn’t want him to leave either but I bet if I looked I’d find you agreed with IL on that as well.