Disappointing

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Disappointing

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:45 pm Am I alone in not being ecstatic about the performance? This was as good as we have seen from Lam’s team, and it wasn’t nearly as good as it should have been. Sure, we came close, but it is yet another loss - we have lost every significant game this year. If, as seems likely, we lose Williams for at least a couple of months, we will be looking at this loss as the high point of the season by the time he is back.

I was staggered to hear Lam suggest we would be really good in another 6 weeks time. We have 5 games away from home in the meantime. With less structure and judging by our season as a whole, by the time we finally see the team play well the top 5 will be gone.

The players’ efforts cannot be faulted, but I have seen nothing at all from Lam to suggest we will have anything to play for by the time he thinks we might be playing well.
Yes! 😠 if you cannot see a massive improvement in that display, you must have been watching something else!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:45 pm Am I alone in not being ecstatic about the performance? This was as good as we have seen from Lam’s team, and it wasn’t nearly as good as it should have been. Sure, we came close, but it is yet another loss - we have lost every significant game this year. If, as seems likely, we lose Williams for at least a couple of months, we will be looking at this loss as the high point of the season by the time he is back.

I was staggered to hear Lam suggest we would be really good in another 6 weeks time. We have 5 games away from home in the meantime. With less structure and judging by our season as a whole, by the time we finally see the team play well the top 5 will be gone.

The players’ efforts cannot be faulted, but I have seen nothing at all from Lam to suggest we will have anything to play for by the time he thinks we might be playing well.
whilst most of that maybe true as I keep saying it's hardly lams fault ,its lenegan running wigan like a championship club .
Wane has kept the heat off lenegan these last few years ,albeit at the expense of entertaining rugby,
this season has seen one slash to many together with halfarsed recruitment, if lams such a bad coach then what does that say about wires coach after yesterday.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:29 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:16 am

If some of our other guys put as much effort in as Sarginson we would be in a better position. Now, I am not saying he is a top centre but unfortunately he is miles better than anyone in the squad bar Gildart. Our forwards played a lot better today but we desperately need to replace Clubb, Navarette, Tautai and Isa if we are to compete for trophies. Their yardage is very poor.
I wouldnt sayi he is miles better, i think Hankinson offers more in some areas less in others but overall id still have hankinson there myself

Sarge is rubbish, again he is one of those players though who every 10 games will score a great try or two but be absolutely crap the rest of the time, why we didnt sign keinhorst is beyond me he may not be a world beater but he is a good solid centre.

I agree Sarge puts effort in but i reckon he runs more meters sideways than he does forward
I have not seen anything in Hankinson that tells me he is SL class but I am willing to give him time.
Fair but he's more consistent than sarge who isn't superleague level either IMO
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Yes! 😠 if you cannot see a massive improvement in that display, you must have been watching something else!
[/quote]

I am not saying it wasn’t an improvement, my point is that this was the high point of the year, and it was a loss. With a strong team, in a big match. Given the dross we have seen thus far all year, that Williams looks like he is gone for a long time, and that by Lam’s admission, we will only have got the hang of it in 6 weeks time, then I think I will leave my party dress in the cupboard.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:04 pm Yes! 😠 if you cannot see a massive improvement in that display, you must have been watching something else!
I am not saying it wasn’t an improvement, my point is that this was the high point of the year, and it was a loss. With a strong team, in a big match. Given the dross we have seen thus far all year, that Williams looks like he is gone for a long time, and that by Lam’s admission, we will only have got the hang of it in 6 weeks time, then I think I will leave my party dress in the cupboard.
Its a fair point

I remember during the 2006 season, we seemed to always play good enough to just get beat - so week to week we would be better and worse but seemed to be always coming up short.

Fact is Wire were far from on form yesterday and we had the chance to put them away (and salvage possibly our only chance of silverware) and didnt

I sort of agree with Exiled here - we were better no doubt but it was hardly a turning point moment for me, we competed but still looked very lost
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well we could rein in the language for a start. Is anyone really "ecstatic"? How can you be ecstatic about a loss? Seems to me that most posters, quite reasonably, saw it as an improvement (certainly on the dire last couple of games). But a loss is still a loss. And pop went our best chance of silverware this season.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:04 pm Yes! 😠 if you cannot see a massive improvement in that display, you must have been watching something else!
[/quote]
So if that's the "high point" of the year, the team as well not bother with playing for the rest of the season eh?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

It will be interesting to see how wigan play without george in the team
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Firestarter wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:58 pm It will be interesting to see how wigan play without george in the team
It will, but of course it entirely depends on who replaces him (from outside). If no-one , it's hard to be optimistic.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Well isn't this the opportunity for Harry Smith to show he can make the SL grade?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: