Brace myself for a slagging dropping crowd

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ddtftf

Brace myself for a slagging dropping crowd

Post by ddtftf »

I honestly think the crowds have dropped because our game has been watered down to almost tick and pass, its like 2 boxers being told you cannot hit each other. A lot of the big shoulder charges / fights between opposing players and the aggression has gone from the game .

I await the slagging :o :o :o :o :o :o
medlocke

Re: Brace myself for a slagging dropping crowd

Post by medlocke »

Your not wrong there the idiots that are the RFL have over sanitized the game to make it family friendly, Hasn't it always been family friendly
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

ddtftf wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:11 am I honestly think the crowds have dropped because our game has been watered down to almost tick and pass, its like 2 boxers being told you cannot hit each other. A lot of the big shoulder charges / fights between opposing players and the aggression has gone from the game .

I think you're right in some ways to be honest

Ive said on another thread though i think the fact the regular season has so little meaning now has just taken all the intensity out of the game the season is just a glorified pre-season now. What is the point really in a season ticket now the games that matter are in the play offs and 70% of the regular season teams are fielding teams decimated with "injuries" but always seem to shape up toward the end of the season.

Whats the intensive to get to a Thursday match to watch a B team play a game that will have little to no bearing on the title
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Agree you want aggression hard hits and passion. We lack that
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ddtftf wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:11 am I honestly think the crowds have dropped because our game has been watered down to almost tick and pass, its like 2 boxers being told you cannot hit each other. A lot of the big shoulder charges / fights between opposing players and the aggression has gone from the game .

Totally agree! More injuries from high & grapple tackles than from a shoulder charge long as they are not aimed at the head.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:24 am

Ive said on another thread though i think the fact the regular season has so little meaning now has just taken all the intensity out of the game the season is just a glorified pre-season now. What is the point really in a season ticket now the games that matter are in the play offs and 70% of the regular season teams are fielding teams decimated with "injuries" but always seem to shape up toward the end of the season.

Whats the intensive to get to a Thursday match to watch a B team play a game that will have little to no bearing on the title
Playing certain teams so often also ruins it. The fact we play some teams 3 times and other teams twice is mind boggling.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:57 am

Playing certain teams so often also ruins it. The fact we play some teams 3 times and other teams twice is mind boggling.
As does the TV coverage.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i agree with the original post.

i think the desire for a faster game (which is not necessarily better) has removed a lot of the physical contact that made the game exciting to watch.

IMO you cant beat a big shoulder charge or a 26 man brawl to get the players and crowd going.

i dont watch a lot of games on sky, but they have consistently said they dont want to see brawls etc. i am pretty sure if you asked fans of every club, that a good majority would say they wanted to see some Biff
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

Sorry to adopt a “when I were a lad” attitude but in prehistoric times before Superleague we had the County Cups, and the John Player Trophy in addition to the Challenge Cup all of which kept the “pot boiling” throughout the season. If you got knocked out of one, there was another round the corner and crowd interest was maintained throughout.

Now I know that overplaying players is a constant fear among coaches (and players themselves) but at a time when the likes of Ian Lenagan are crying out for a reserves competition why can’t we reinstate these competitions and utilize young players currently on loan to other clubs. I realise that adjustments to the salary cap would have to be made but crowds would no longer ‘turn off’ during the season.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Just watched some old wigan v saints and wigan v warrington all aggression and fighting but complete sell out crowds, sorry but great to watch for excitement and no injuries in any of the matches, truth is we watch boxing and want someone we hate to be floored same as we watch rugby to see a dick head on the other team get smashed