New Signings Are On The Way

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: New Signings Are On The Way

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:13 pm I am pleased that Clubb may stay, as he gives the team some aggression. He’s no Dowling, but he makes the side better. If I understand the article correctly, Leuluai and Burgess are staying. That’s fine by me (as long as we are not paying over the odds for a winger):

- no deal for Tautai. Good;

- no deal for Hamlin. Good;

- no deal for Sarginson. Only good if we can improve on him. Given that he played on through mourning his brother’s death, and has contributed towards a couple of Grand Final wins, I would not be upset to see him go, nor would I be heart broken if he stays;

- no deal for loads or youngsters. The only one that caught my eye was Paisley, as I think he is good. I don’t know, but I am guessing we won’t be saving much money on that lot; and

- no deal yet for Lockers. After all he has done for us, and he was really good yesterday, I would err on the side of keeping him.

The question then is whether that releases enough space to sign all the players we need...
T isn’t off contact.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:51 pm Paisley is the big surprise for me. He looked like he was on the fringe of 1st team, maybe 12 months off.

Does anyone have any info or insight into this? SEFC???
Not heard anything about Paisley. We need to give him more time in my view. Likewise with some of the other youngsters given that we will have a reserve team next season. However, the club need to be ruthless regarding the older players.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:53 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:51 pm Paisley is the big surprise for me. He looked like he was on the fringe of 1st team, maybe 12 months off.

Not heard anything about Paisley. We need to give him more time in my view. Likewise with some of the other youngsters given that we will have a reserve team next season. However, the club need to be ruthless regarding the older players.
i agree with this...... dont go overboard with the youngsters until next season at least
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

No surprise that Field and Forsyth are going, but I can't understand why they've made a decision that Joe Brown isn't getting a new contract but Worthington is still 'not yet determined'. Unless Brown was offered one but turned it down. Brown has the potential to be better than both Marshall and Davies, and while we have quite a few good wingers in the U19's I would still have liked to see him get a chance.

Of the others not yet determined, O'Loughlin will either retire or decide to stay and the club will agree to it. I can't envisage a situation where Lockers would want to play on and the club decide not to keep him.

I'd keep Barnes, Kibula and Kilner. Barnes has always seemed to be a pretty decent player, is comfortable playing in the back row or prop and I think he's got potential, although it's hard to judge his progress when he's been out on loan for the last 3 years. Kibula and Kilner I'd keep simply because depth in the forwards is important, and also because I'd rather the club use the reserves to take a risk on players who may have an outside chance of becoming something we don't have, rather than just keeping players who are a clones of what we already have (such as Field). I do think both will end up leaving though.

Wouldn't be too disappointed if Sarginson, Worthington and Paisley go. Sarge because he's just not consistent enough and I long for a centre with the consistency of the likes of Carmont or Goulding. I can't see Worthington or Paisley being good enough.

Mullen will probably leave too but I'm not sure about him. He never seems to have a bad game and is versatile. If we were to sacrifice an outside back or two to free up some money to sign a forward he might be worth keeping for utility value alone given he's unlikely to be on a big contract.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Only two surprises in that list for me

1. Callum Field looked good initially but after a number of years now looks like a championship player
2. Liam Forsyth was a Wane protegee. Left for Bath and was resigned without ever being fast or skillful enough for SL
3. Joe Brown. Never played first team and someone argued he should be kept on once before because he was promising. Signed from the Bulls, the club must think they have better coming through now
4. Dan Sarginson. Bloody worker but full of mistakes and not a good centre. If he is the best we can get then something is wrong
5. Sean O'Loughlin At 37 how much longer do we or he keep putting this off?
6. Caine Barnes. Never played first team (for us)
7. Samy Kibula. Highly rated by those who saw in him his junior days. Some want more aggression from him. We are getting rid of a penalty machine in Tautai - work that one out!
8. Ben Kilner. Never played first team (for us)
9. Craig Mullen. Looked very lively in his appearances in the first team. Is he paying the penalty for his misdemeanor? Will be a great pick-up for another club
10. Liam Paisley. Strange one. Gets into the first team. First one to get dropped (when others have been worse) and now to move on. Another good pick-up for a rival
11. James Worthington. Scored two great tries against Wakey. Then they brought Fifita on and we fell apart. Never got another chance and not sure he was big enough for a SL first team
12. Thomas Leuluai - Retiring,
13. Tony Clubb. Vast improvement needed if re-signed on
14. Joe Burgess. Apparently re-signed
15. Talima Tautaui. Being released.
16. Josh Ganson. Released
17. George Williams. Signed for Canberra (despite the denials and non-announcements)

If we are still struggling under the salary cap after that then someone needs to be sacked

As I said initially I think Paisley and Mullen are surprise releases and will make good signings for rival teams. The rest have plenty to prove playing at other clubs
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks for that.

Hopefully it's not a final decision and the club will continue to assess these players, Paisley in particular, over the rest of the season.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Lenegan leaked it
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:41 pm Leeds didn’t want him,any number of their many coaches didn’t seem to rate Lilley
And look where Leeds are, shows what they know.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

old hooker wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:45 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:41 pm Leeds didn’t want him,any number of their many coaches didn’t seem to rate Lilley
And look where Leeds are, shows what they know.
I agree but with Lilley I think they got it right
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Shortage of talented kids isn't Leeds' problem; they have a few. What they need is experienced direction on the park. And off it too, by the look of things.