Kiwi league great Quentin Pongia dies

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Kiwi league great Quentin Pongia dies

Post by josie andrews »

Former Kiwis captain Quentin Pongia has died after a battle with cancer. He was 48.
The former New Zealand test front-rower underwent surgery in November last to remove a bowel tumour, following which he told nine.com.au: "I'm on the mend now and pray I can overcome this moving forward."

However, New Zealand Rugby League chief executive Greg Peters confirmed to the New Zealand Herald they received the news of his death today.

"He's had cancer for sometime, as most people would know, and it's just finally, unfortunately taken him," Peters said.

"He was an icon of the game, a great bloke and a fearless player. He had a huge identity in the game during his playing career and it's just really tragic to see cancer take another great man way too early."

The relentless prop, who hailed from the West Coast, played 137 NRL games and 35 tests for the Kiwis during a 13-year career in which he forged a reputation as one of the game's most feared players.

Arriving in the NRL in 1993 as part of a star-studded Canberra Raiders outfit, he quickly made a name for himself with his style of play.
After making his debut with a star-studded Raiders side in 1993, he went on the win the premiership with the club a year later, before stints with the Warriors, Roosters, Dragons and Wigan.

Pongia returned home to New Zealand to join the Warriors in 1998, playing 18 matches before leaving to join the Tri-Colours the following season.

The Warriors recently announced they would be hosting a luncheon to support Pongia in his ongoing battle, with league fans, Pongia's former teammates and other celebrities set to gather for the event at the Ellerslie Event Centre on June 7.

The Warriors aren't the only club in the NRL who have raised funds to help Pongia.

Earlier in the year, they joined the Sea Eagles and Raiders in donating items to an auction held to help support Pongia and his family.

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/league/kiwi ... ongia-dies
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ian.birchall

Re: Kiwi league great Quentin Pongia dies

Post by ian.birchall »

That is a sad bit of news, always enjoyed watching him at Wigan, a fully professional player never giving less than 100%, I wonder what Luke Robinson and Andy Farrell are thinking this mornning?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

ian.birchall wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:11 am That is a sad bit of news, always enjoyed watching him at Wigan, a fully professional player never giving less than 100%, I wonder what Luke Robinson and Andy Farrell are thinking this mornning?
Don’t understand the Farrell Robinson bit?

RIP big man
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:34 am
ian.birchall wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:11 am That is a sad bit of news, always enjoyed watching him at Wigan, a fully professional player never giving less than 100%, I wonder what Luke Robinson and Andy Farrell are thinking this mornning?

RIP big man
You need to be in your late 40's I think. Lets see you admits to being a grand age 😀
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

ian.birchall wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:17 am

RIP big man
You need to be in your late 40's I think. Lets see you admits to being a grand age 😀
34 years young but I remember Robinson in particular breaking through although without the benefit of internet etc back then I certainly wasn’t as close to the behind doors of the club as I am now

Was it pongia who was found to be playing when he had something that could be transmitted through blood? I have a vague memory around that
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 am

RIP big man
34 years young but I remember Robinson in particular breaking through although without the benefit of internet etc back then I certainly wasn’t as close to the behind doors of the club as I am now

Was it pongia who was found to be playing when he had something that could be transmitted through blood? I have a vague memory around that
Yes, R.I.P Quentin, Fantastic player back in the day
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

R I P Quentin, Condolences to his family.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 am

RIP big man
You need to be in your late 40's I think. Lets see who admits to being a grand age 😀

Thats it. Apparently Pongia had the serious form of hepetitis and after Robinson broke the news in the press and other players began to worry Captain Farrell went to the Board and said Robinson could not play again for Wigan and he was quickly moved on to Salford (I think).

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Formidable pairing with Craig Smith. Don't remember the Robinson/Farrell thing, thought he just retired because of hepatitis

Great player, RIP.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam's emotional tribute to former Wigan Warriors team-mate Quentin Pongia

Adrian Lam has added his tribute to his former team-mate Quentin Pongia following his death aged 48.

The former Kiwi prop had been battling cancer.

Lam played with Pongia at the Sydney Roosters and later at Wigan between 2003-04 and described him as the toughest team-mate he'd ever had.

"He was respected by all and a player everyone loved playing with," said Lam, in Barcelona to prepare for today's historic game with Catalans.

"He was old school, an enforcer on the field and a great person off it.

"I was fortunate enough to play with him at both my clubs, the Sydney Roosters where we played together in the 2000 Grand Final, and at Wigan and he was the toughest player I ever played with.

We will all miss him so much."

The Warriors will wear black armbands today in tribute to Pongia.

Former St Helens and GB star Paul Sculthorpe tweeted: "So sad to hear about the passing of Quentin Pongia...always said and always will, by far the toughest competitor I had the misfortune to play against...but what a gent off the field. RIP big man

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/adrian ... -1-9776418
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan