Halifax v Bradford - Spoilers

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Halifax v Bradford - Spoilers

Post by josie andrews »

Halifax are through to their first Challenge Cup semi-final since 1988 after overcoming Bradford 20-16 in a dramatic all-Championship quarter-final at Odsal.

The Bulls led 6-0 at half-time but the lead changed hands five times in a pulsating second half before Halifax were able to celebrate a famous victory.

It is 32 years since Halifax enjoyed the last of their five Challenge Cup final triumphs but coach Simon Grix has guided them to within 80 minutes of a Wembley trip in only his fifth game in charge.

Centre Steve Tyrer scored 12 of his side's points on his 200th appearance as Halifax set up a semi-final meeting with St Helens at the University of Bolton Stadium on July 27.

Grix's older brother Scott was among the tryscorers, while fellow veteran half-back Scott Murrell was at the heart of their hard-fought victory, and he will get the chance to play in a first semi-final at the age of 33 after cruelly missing out through injury when Hull KR got there in 2006.

The action-packed match included a biting allegation which was placed on report by referee Scott Mikalauskas - but nothing can take away the glory from Halifax.

The only try of the first half came in the 10th minute when centre Ross Oakes got David Foggin-Johnston racing down the wing and stand-off Rowan Milnes was in support to cross at the corner, too far out for Elliot Minchella to convert.

Minchella was also wide with a penalty attempt as Halifax defended stoutly while down to 12 men, with forward Adam Tangata in the sin bin for a late tackle on Jordan Lilley.

Halifax, who lost back rower Ed Barber early in the game with a head injury, had their moments and should have made more of a 40-20 kick from Grix.

Murrell and replacement forward Dan Fleming were both held up on the line while Bradford hooker George Flanagan, on as a replacement for an injured Milnes, got over the line only to be held up and the only other score before half-time came from a penalty by Lilley.

The game changed dramatically six minutes into the second half when Tyrer leapt above Jake Webster to collect Murrell's high kick but was tackled in mid-air.

Video referee Chris Kendall awarded a penalty try and Tyrer kicked a penalty as well as the conversion to turn a 6-0 deficit into an 8-0 lead in the blink of a eye.

Webster then made amends in the 53rd minute by pouncing on a blunder by Grix, who dropped the ball from Matty Wildie's high kick, and Lilley converted the try to make it 12-8.

It was then Grix's turn to make amends as he supported a clean break by full-back Quentin Laulu-Togaga'e to score Halifax's second try, but the lead changed hands again when Halifax forward Kevin Larroyer lost the ball in the tackle and Wildie picked up to race 40 metres for an opportunistic try.

That made it 16-14, but there was still time for one more twist as substitute James Woodburn-Hall cut through the first line of Bradford's defence and dummied his way over for the match-winning try.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... port/51861
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Halifax beat Bradford to set up Challenge Cup semi-final with St Helens

Post by josie andrews »

Well done Halifax & Good Luck in the semis 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
SJ

Post by SJ »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:26 pm Well done Halifax & Good Luck in the semis 😊
Saints aren't Wigan so Halifax have no chancejust like A Joshua
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

SJ wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:34 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:26 pm Well done Halifax & Good Luck in the semis 😊
I know! I was being sarcastic.

We said yesterday that Saints & Wire would be kept apart for the semis! The RFL need big crowd at Wembley for the final to make up for the losses last year!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Spoilers. :cry:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
SJ

Post by SJ »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:39 pm
SJ wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:34 pm
I know! I was being sarcastic.

We said yesterday that Saints & Wire would be kept apart for the semis! The RFL need big crowd at Wembley for the final to make up for the losses last year!
Sorry Josie but this illustrates what I've been saying in other posts Because I Don't know you I don't know when you are being sarcastic and when your not. I always take you literally because I think your a honest person whereas say Meds he's a canny bloke He's an honest chap who I like with a rascal type character I sometimes can't decide if he's being canny or literal. Medium coverage can't convey intonation unfortunately 👍
medlocke

Re: Halifax v Bradford - Spoilers

Post by medlocke »

Surprise surprise Saints and Warrington kept apart again, And they say the sport isn't fixed :o
wildbeast

Post by wildbeast »

How on earth can you say it's fixed?
SJ

Post by SJ »

wildbeast wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:41 pm How on earth can you say it's fixed?
He just has or more accurately he said "how can(people)say it's not fixed ? Which is a question which is not answered by your question. ie a question isn't answered by a question So answer it ? 👿
Welcome to the forum👍
wildbeast

Post by wildbeast »

Actually said and they think the sport isn't fixed-er who are they?