Wigan Warriors' Dan Sarginson exploring his future options

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' Dan Sarginson exploring his future options

Post by josie andrews »

Dan Sarginson admits his future may lie away from Wigan.

He is out of contract at the end of this season - and the Warriors are thought to be closing in on Salford centre Jake Bibby for 2020.

Sarginson, who returned to Wigan last year after one season in the NRL with Gold Coast Titans, has not ruled out staying at the club.

But he admits he may look to move closer to his southern-based family as they come to terms with the death of his younger brother Adam last year.

“I’m not sure yet. I’m speaking to Wigan and looking at some options,” he said, when asked about his future.

“I need to sum a few things up personally, I still grieve quite a bit for my brother, and it’s tough being away from my family, so I don’t know what direction I’ll be going in.

“At the moment my focus is playing well and getting some clubs interested.”

Bibby, 22, and his Salford team-mate Jackson Hastings are both wanted for next season, while Cas prop Mitch Clark is thought to have signed a deal.

Sarginson, meanwhile, was less upbeat than many of his team-mates after their 26-14 defeat to Warrington at the Magic Weekend.

“There were things we can take, but we don’t want to be the team that competes, we want to be winning,” he said.

“Our standards are high, we’re used to winning these games or at least losing by two points.

“I think you make your own luck in this game and there were areas we let ourselves down.

When we were winning competitions, we’d be on top for 80 minutes and we wouldn’t give sides a sniff. Now, we’re dropping off and momentum goes.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9796575
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pearsy

Re: Wigan Warriors' Dan Sarginson exploring his future options

Post by pearsy »

At last some good news keeping my fingers crossed
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Makes sense for him to look closer to home. A return to the Broncos would be a good fit. He went through a lot to play on during the family tragedy last year, and was superb in our 2015 (iirc) grand final win. Never gives less than his best, just never quite compensated for not having been brought up in a proper league area.

Good luck, Dan.
Great grandad Harry ball

Post by Great grandad Harry ball »

Agree, good luck.
Being extremely blinkered, and having watched/supported Wigan since the 60's and having gone through (some) bad times, but also (mostly) good/excellent times I want us right back up there at the top, and players like Dan (and a number of others) are not 'Wigan' standard.
How that is achieved is what was done in the past, the best of local/British and a smattering of overseas. The salary cap is an influencing matter, but how on earth are we up to the limit with what we currently have, when at other clubs they currently seem to be able to get far better value????
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Good luck to the lad as it seems from that article he is on his way, we shall see.
Dev

Post by Dev »

Good luck to him, I don’t think he’s Wigan standard of a player but to be fair he always gives 100% when he’s on that pitch.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

London is probably a good fit for Sarge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure