BIG Announcement Verdict

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.

BIG Announcement Verdict

Poll ended at Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:55 pm

10/10 Can’t wait for 2020!!!!
2%
7-9/10 good news for the Club!
6%
5-6/10 ok news
24%
2-4/10 underwhelmed
43%
1 WTF
8%
0 omnishambles
16%

Total votes: 49

DaveO

Re: BIG Announcement Verdict

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Better than Hock, Hansen, Tomkins and Farrell?
Well, Hansen was a limited but well meaning plodder, Hock was a huge talent but squandered it, Tomkins was hit and miss and brought shame on the club. Faz has wrung every ounce out of his talent, and Smithies will need to show the same level of dedication to the cause. For mine, he has more potential if he works as hard. I also exclude true legends who wore 13 like Clarke, A Farrell and Lockers.[/quote]

Hansen was not a plodder. A very good player in his day better than Faz and miles better than Isa. He’d walk into this team today. In his first stint Tomkins was not hit and miss either but an excellent player. RU didn’t come after him because he was hit and miss.

If you can’t argue the current signings are better than they are without dissing former players you have lost the argument.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

If we sign anybody currently playing first grade NRL I'll be amazed. If it's not hastings which I don't think it will be then it'll be yet another underwhelming nonentity of a half back.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Radlinski has to say there is more to come because at the minute we have ZERO marquee signings for 2020 as we all know Williams is going to Aus to get injured and come back here in June 2020
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Mickw wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:40 pm If we sign anybody currently playing first grade NRL I'll be amazed. If it's not hastings which I don't think it will be then it'll be yet another underwhelming nonentity of a half back.
Who ever they turn out to be they can't be any worse than Clinch, Forimo, O'Neil or Moran

I was watching a video of Chris Atkin on youtube, He wasn't bad at all, Definitely looked better than those mentioned above though highlight videos can be misleading
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I wonder how long it will be before Harry Smith steps up. He looks all class from the little I have seen of him.
I haven’t paid that much attention to other clubs, but I think Wire have signed 2 NRL half backs, Roberts (? Who was rubbish) and Austin (who looks good), so it should be possible to find one. Blake Green is certainly first grade now. Dobson never quite made it in the NRL.
I think this could be the biggest challenge the club has faced in a while, but Hastings would be great. Failing that, we should be in the market for Maloney if he is genuinely available.
With this season pretty much over after the next 3 games, these are interesting times for our great club.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Never trust a highlight video..

As for today it was ok,still can’t get my head round Clubbs deal,a lovely bloke but he’s not been himself for a couple of years to be fair.

I’ll say it again I doubt Wigan will have a marquee player next season but we shall see
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

My take on it.

Well it was different and kept me looking to see if there was anything I wasn't already aware of

Mitch Clark. agent/player/whoever had already let this out of the bag so was no shock just confirmed the rumour
Jake Bibby. As above with Mitch Clark. Is being talked up as a centre so is obviously going to compete with another player I shall mention further down for Sarginson's spot
Joe Burgess. Obviously we have taken up the one year option and he was fine taking it. The real issue I have is if he does well he will go on a free to the NRL and we will be left running around for a replacement
Chris Hankinson. Another player we took the one year option up on. Obviously re-signed because there has been no decision long term where the club sees the players
Morgan Smithies. No problem with although contracts mean nothing to IL so if Canberra come calling will be off like the rest - sadly.
Oliver Partington. Decent tackler, Needs massive improvements when in possession otherwise he will find a future in the Championship soon enough
Jack Wells. Lifeline thrown. This bloke must be Noel Cleal in disguise or have something totally and utterly far superior to the likes of Samy Kibula or Liam Paisley who are being discarded despite not spending all their careers on the treatment table. I haven't seen it and further injuries and excuses are over for him. Time to deliver or go
Tony Clubb. I posted a while ago he was signing a new 2 year deal. I hope he's being paid peanuts because this was the worst part of the recruitment. Our forwards stink and when the ability to let them leave and use the salary cap on players who would improve the side, what do we do? Re-sign the utter sh7te because we are so damned lazy or pathetic in our scouting/recruitment

Now. what we have are two players in Burgess and Hankinson that are likely to leave after next season. An impact prop who was the last thing we needed as an addition to the pack. A centre cum winger that can't get into a rival team on a regular basis yet who the recruiting man @ Wigan thinks he will be first team quality for us. The juniors means nothing because anyone comes calling and IL will take the money and give the usual excuses as to why they left for pastures new (talking Smithies here). Wells and Partington are so far behind the ball game as first teamers for a SL it is frightening, I am hoping the coach will bring out their development. Tony Clubb was and is a massive mistake. I hope he makes me eat my words but somehow I doubt he will and in two years time we will all be holding parties when he finally leaves.

Radlinski mentions further announcements.

Without anything else. It is obvious that the "biggest" announcements would have been made in the first wave. With that in mind the news press from Australia must be correct stating Jackson Hastings has signed for an NRL team so WILL NOT be coming to us. Kallum Watkins - not a chance! We have signed Bibby and taken the option on Hankinson, we have not done that and then signed another centre to provide yet further competition when we haven't even bothered to get a half to replace George Williams. Burgess etc realistically, if all our recruitment is now down to pinching squad players from rival teams, actually paying and signing top line front players has not been an option this season despite promises of major changes last season.

The next wave of announcements will be:
1. Sean O'Loughlin signing a new one year deal
2. Chris Atkin from Hull KR when it is announce Hastings is going home
3. Adrian Lam two year deal with fingers crossed all the problems are down to the "interim" appointment and the injuries he has had to contend with
4. Having been linked with an NRL forward from one of the poorer teams, I think we will pick up at least one
5. Cameron King - Aussie hooker currently playing for Featherstone (depending if TL goes around again)

No idea about Thomas Leuluai but do you know? being honest I can see him signing a new deal also and us all as fans having to go through all this again next season
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:21 pm My take on it.

Well it was different and kept me looking to see if there was anything I wasn't already aware of

Mitch Clark. agent/player/whoever had already let this out of the bag so was no shock just confirmed the rumour
Jake Bibby. As above with Mitch Clark. Is being talked up as a centre so is obviously going to compete with another player I shall mention further down for Sarginson's spot
Joe Burgess. Obviously we have taken up the one year option and he was fine taking it. The real issue I have is if he does well he will go on a free to the NRL and we will be left running around for a replacement
Chris Hankinson. Another player we took the one year option up on. Obviously re-signed because there has been no decision long term where the club sees the players
Morgan Smithies. No problem with although contracts mean nothing to IL so if Canberra come calling will be off like the rest - sadly.
Oliver Partington. Decent tackler, Needs massive improvements when in possession otherwise he will find a future in the Championship soon enough
Jack Wells. Lifeline thrown. This bloke must be Noel Cleal in disguise or have something totally and utterly far superior to the likes of Samy Kibula or Liam Paisley who are being discarded despite not spending all their careers on the treatment table. I haven't seen it and further injuries and excuses are over for him. Time to deliver or go
Tony Clubb. I posted a while ago he was signing a new 2 year deal. I hope he's being paid peanuts because this was the worst part of the recruitment. Our forwards stink and when the ability to let them leave and use the salary cap on players who would improve the side, what do we do? Re-sign the utter sh7te because we are so damned lazy or pathetic in our scouting/recruitment

Now. what we have are two players in Burgess and Hankinson that are likely to leave after next season. An impact prop who was the last thing we needed as an addition to the pack. A centre cum winger that can't get into a rival team on a regular basis yet who the recruiting man @ Wigan thinks he will be first team quality for us. The juniors means nothing because anyone comes calling and IL will take the money and give the usual excuses as to why they left for pastures new (talking Smithies here). Wells and Partington are so far behind the ball game as first teamers for a SL it is frightening, I am hoping the coach will bring out their development. Tony Clubb was and is a massive mistake. I hope he makes me eat my words but somehow I doubt he will and in two years time we will all be holding parties when he finally leaves.

Radlinski mentions further announcements.

Without anything else. It is obvious that the "biggest" announcements would have been made in the first wave. With that in mind the news press from Australia must be correct stating Jackson Hastings has signed for an NRL team so WILL NOT be coming to us. Kallum Watkins - not a chance! We have signed Bibby and taken the option on Hankinson, we have not done that and then signed another centre to provide yet further competition when we haven't even bothered to get a half to replace George Williams. Burgess etc realistically, if all our recruitment is now down to pinching squad players from rival teams, actually paying and signing top line front players has not been an option this season despite promises of major changes last season.

The next wave of announcements will be:
1. Sean O'Loughlin signing a new one year deal
2. Chris Atkin from Hull KR when it is announce Hastings is going home
3. Adrian Lam two year deal with fingers crossed all the problems are down to the "interim" appointment and the injuries he has had to contend with
4. Having been linked with an NRL forward from one of the poorer teams, I think we will pick up at least one
5. Cameron King - Aussie hooker currently playing for Featherstone (depending if TL goes around again)

No idea about Thomas Leuluai but do you know? being honest I can see him signing a new deal also and us all as fans having to go through all this again next season
When talking about Burgess and Hankinson you mention an impact prop and a centre come winger.

Who are you referring to? Isn’t Hankinson a centre whose been played second row and once on the winger and Burgess an out and out winger his whole
Life who played a few games at centre to accommodate injuries ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:40 pm When talking about Burgess and Hankinson you mention an impact prop and a centre come winger.

Who are you referring to? Isn’t Hankinson a centre whose been played second row and once on the winger and Burgess an out and out winger his whole
Life who played a few games at centre to accommodate injuries ?
Well it was my surmise on the announcements
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:21 pm Now. what we have are two players in Burgess and Hankinson that are likely to leave after next season.
There's a full stop there. Both players have one year deals and could go. Obvious
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:21 pm An impact prop who was the last thing we needed as an addition to the pack.
I thought was obvious = Mitch Clark and we need props who can do big minutes of solid work not players who come on for 10 minutes a half. Bring back Feka if fans want that
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:21 pm A centre cum winger that can't get into a rival team on a regular basis yet who the recruiting man @ Wigan thinks he will be first team quality for us.
Again I thought was obvious=Jake Bibby Announced as a centre cum winger and as such shows what position someone sees him in. Obvious

As apart from giving new deals to players already at the club what else news-wise was there?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
pedro

Post by pedro »

I hope Lam doesnt get the job as her cant get these players up to standard and the new signings are of no improvement