Big Announcement on Thursday ... apparently

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Big Announcement on Thursday ... apparently

Post by medlocke »

Just seen this on rlfans

My mate is works at the RFL. Just told me Hastings is a done deal with Tautai going the other way.
Lam doing one more year. He also said Watkins going to Hull. Burgess was offered a year by Wigan and turned down 3 year deal at Hull to stay at Wigan and fight for a longer contract after next season and desperate to win something at Wigan. Lockers & Tommy playing on for one more season, Sarginson going.
I’d be made up if true!!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:45 pm Just seen this on rlfans

My mate is works at the RFL. Just told me Hastings is a done deal with Tautai going the other way.
Lam doing one more year. He also said Watkins going to Hull. Burgess was offered a year by Wigan and turned down 3 year deal at Hull to stay at Wigan and fight for a longer contract after next season and desperate to win something at Wigan. Lockers & Tommy playing on for one more season, Sarginson going.
I’d be made up if true!!
Thats a lot of information from someone who doesn't even work at the club?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I’d be made up if true!!
What I can’t get my head round is why we gave Clubb a two year deal, thereby rewarding his poor performances this season yet we only offer Budgie 12 months with a view to him earning another deal. I am struggling to understand the clubs mentality. Personally, I would have released Clubb he looks to have gone. Budgie on the other hand, even though he still has plenty to prove should have been given a longer contract even if one year was at the clubs discretion.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

The only reason he has a 12 month deal is that the NRL don’t want him in 2020 else he’d have signed there when the out of contract player list was swilling around. So signed for us to play the same game again next year.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:32 am The only reason he has a 12 month deal is that the NRL don’t want him in 2020 else he’d have signed there when the out of contract player list was swilling around. So signed for us to play the same game again next year.
His form simply hasn’t warranted a top line NRL club to come back in for him,for me he’s had his chance over there and I doubt he will get another one,his own fault he should have waited for a couple of more years before heading over there
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:11 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:32 am The only reason he has a 12 month deal is that the NRL don’t want him in 2020 else he’d have signed there when the out of contract player list was swilling around. So signed for us to play the same game again next year.
His form simply hasn’t warranted a top line NRL club to come back in for him,for me he’s had his chance over there and I doubt he will get another one,his own fault he should have waited for a couple of more years before heading over there
Did the Roosters already have the two quality wingers when he signed ?

I hope he gets back to his best form, sadly it feels a bit like Tomkins all over again in which a long run at his best form is stretched back years. That being said, he has shown glimpses, it’s just injuries in the 3 years he’s been back. Is it 3 years? Wow that’s a long time.

On his day though he is world class. Height, speed, power, good in the air, great finisher and is probably the closest winger we have had who can match the athletic beasts the Aussies produce on the wing.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:43 am

I’d be made up if true!!
What I can’t get my head round is why we gave Clubb a two year deal, thereby rewarding his poor performances this season yet we only offer Budgie 12 months with a view to him earning another deal. I am struggling to understand the clubs mentality. Personally, I would have released Clubb he looks to have gone. Budgie on the other hand, even though he still has plenty to prove should have been given a longer contract even if one year was at the clubs discretion.
Clubb re-signing could be down to more than his playing ability on the pitch. I.e leadership, the way he trains, how the youngsters perceive him etc

Don’t get me wrong, he’s been dreadful the last two years and barely looks like he can walk this year but there is often more to it than just performances on the pitch.

Although a mass cull is required, no top
Club has ever done one successfully in one go. You have to have a blend of keeping the old, bringing the new and promoting youngsters. It would be too much of a culture change to get rid of say Clubb, Lockers, Tommy all at once.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:53 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:43 am

I’d be made up if true!!
Clubb re-signing could be down to more than his playing ability on the pitch. I.e leadership, the way he trains, how the youngsters perceive him etc

Don’t get me wrong, he’s been dreadful the last two years and barely looks like he can walk this year but there is often more to it than just performances on the pitch.

Although a mass cull is required, no top
Club has ever done one successfully in one go. You have to have a blend of keeping the old, bringing the new and promoting youngsters. It would be too much of a culture change to get rid of say Clubb, Lockers, Tommy all at once.
Good point maybe the other two are not staying and it was felt Clubb was needed in that respect.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:50 am
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:11 am
Did the Roosters already have the two quality wingers when he signed ?

I hope he gets back to his best form, sadly it feels a bit like Tomkins all over again in which a long run at his best form is stretched back years. That being said, he has shown glimpses, it’s just injuries in the 3 years he’s been back. Is it 3 years? Wow that’s a long time.

On his day though he is world class. Height, speed, power, good in the air, great finisher and is probably the closest winger we have had who can match the athletic beasts the Aussies produce on the wing.
I honestly think he was the victim of the dreaded “highlight reel”the roosters expected the finished article what they got was a young lad with bags of potential but a wee bit raw.

I said when he went it was too soon and I’ve not changed my mind since truth is though he shows flashes of the devastating early form only sporadically now,and let us be fair he seems to say quite often he wants another chance in Aus,which doesn’t endear him to me
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

For 2020 though I cannot see anywhere where we are building a foundation going forward to replace the likes of bateman, oloughlin, mcilorum, Leuluai, Farrell et al.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame