Toronto Wolfpack owner David Argyle "fires himself" over racism storm

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Toronto Wolfpack owner David Argyle "fires himself" over racism storm

Post by josie andrews »

Argyle was accused of racist abuse by Swinton forward Jose Kenga and the pair have since spoken

Toronto Wolfpack majority owner David Argyle has “fired himself” following allegations of racist abuse by Swinton forward Jose Kenga.

The Lions prop posted a tweet on Thursday night outlining an incident after the April Championship match in Canada.

In it, Kenga said that Argyle asked him “Do they allow black people in Swinton?”, and added “I have never felt so little in my life”.

Argyle responded with an unreserved apology, and followed that up speaking to Kenga on FaceTime on Friday, with the RFL launching an investigation into the matter.

Now Argyle has decided to step down both as chief executive and chairman of the Wolfpack in an open letter.

Argyle wrote: “I was incredibly careless with my words when speaking to Swinton Lions player Jose Kenga after our game at Lamport Stadium on 28th April 2019. I understand the unwitting racist connotations of what I said and the distress caused to Jose.

Jose was gracious to take a video call with me today, I apologised and we discussed the matter in depth.I also fully support Jose’s decision to go on social media. I called Swinton RFLC, which I respect and admire as a club.

If any other member of our Wolfpack family had made that comment I made, on balance, regardless context and environment, I would have fired them. Therefore that also applies to me, so I am firing myself as chairman and CEO.

“We have begun a process to find the correct person(s) to achieve the founding objectives of the club in the role of chairman and CEO. Interim duties will be picked up by our long standing executive team on both sides of the Atlantic.

“My financial obligations and commitments to the club, players, employees, sponsors, suppliers and broadcast partners will be met so that our objective to deliver the best club rugby in the world in Toronto, UK and France remain. I have not had the opportunity to speak with all stakeholders, I will over the next couple of days.

“The Wolfpack and our new chairman and CEO will remain firmly behind the core values and beliefs that make up the foundation of this organisation – the world is a better place with more rugby balls in kids’ hands, we aspire to create a global centre for rugby excellence in Toronto, we actively promote opportunities for transatlantic trade and we support local family run businesses in Ontario.

"I am very proud of what the entire Wolfpack organisation has achieved in the last two and a half years. I leave with a heavy heart as I have disgraced rugby and my family which I love.

“I can’t tell you how much we value our relationships with rugby players, our fans, sponsors and partners, and how much your support drives us to be better each and every day. The Wolfpack will do everything in our power to repair that special bond and make things right.

“I was wrong. I will respond personally to anyone that would like to discuss directly, please allow a few days for reply.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... e-16479583
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Toronto Wolfpack owner David Argyle "fires himself" over racism storm

Post by josie andrews »

RFL fines Toronto Wolfpack owner £7,500

The Rugby Football League has fined David Argyle £7,500 for his use of unacceptable language in his role as Chairman of Toronto Wolfpack after their Betfred Championship fixture against Swinton Lions on 28th April.

Following a compliance investigation, Argyle was found to have breached four of the RFL’s Operational Rules.

He was reported to have used the following words to Swinton player Jose Kenga after the game: “”Do they allow black people in Swinton?”

The RFL, in a statement issued today, has declared that it takes a “zero-tolerance approach” to the use of any unacceptable language based on someone’s race.

“The sanction reflects this and the relevant mitigating factors relating to this matter. These include that Mr Argyle admitted the charge, has apologised publicly to the Swinton player Jose Kenga, has made strong statements denouncing the language and has stepped down from his roles as Chairman and CEO,” said the RFL statement.

“The RFL is fully committed to ensuring that Rugby League is an inclusive sport accessible and enjoyed by all. As such it will ringfence a proportion of the imposed fine for the Enjoy the Game Campaign, specifically regarding the inclusion of BAME individuals in Rugby League. The RFL will work with Swinton Lions and/or Jose Kenga on how the funds can best be utilised for this.”

http://www.totalrl.com/rfl-fines-toront ... wner-7500/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan