Hankinson contract extended

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Hankinson contract extended

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:47 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:05 pm Wigan have exercised one-year option to extend Chris Hankinson’s stay at the Club.

Kris Radlinksi: “He is centre by trade but has shown his versatility already this season by playing in a number of positions and having someone of Chris’ ability is extremely important to the wider squad.”

Chris Hankinson: “It’s a great moment for me in my career. My family are proud and so am I to stay with my hometown club.”

Wigan Warriors have exercised their one-year option to extend Chris Hankinson’s stay at the DW Stadium for another season until the end of 2020.

Hankinson, 25, who has made ten appearances so far for the Cherry and Whites since arriving at the Club mid-season in 2018, has featured eight times this season for Adrian Lam’s side showing his versatility slotting in at centre, wing and loose forward during the 2019 campaign.

On extending his stay with the Warriors, Executive Director Kris Radlinski said: “Chris has slotted into our environment extremely well since arriving from Swinton Lions last summer.

“He is centre by trade but has shown his versatility already this season by playing in a number of positions and having someone of Chris’ ability is extremely important to the wider squad. We’re happy to extend his stay.”

Hankinson said: “It’s a great moment for me in my career. My family are proud and so am I to stay with my hometown club. I’m really happy to extend an extra season and hopefully I can work on top of that and keep pushing forward.

“I’m aiming to put some more performances together to help the team and I’m grateful that I get that chance to do it for another year. I’ve had a good opportunity this year and I’ve taken it with both hands. I’m grateful to the coaches for giving me the game time and I just want to keep learning and stay within that 17-man squad for every game.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... 1qsT65Q.99
the way rads has wirtten his statements im surprised Hankinson didnt get compared to Greg Inglis!
How did he manage to restrain himself?

This is another signing like Clubb where if the club wanted to show some ambition they would have let him leave and put the money towards a better player. The squad needs thinning out of players of this standard.
And who do we have as back up center, Willie Isa?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: the way rads has wirtten his statements im surprised Hankinson didnt get compared to Greg Inglis!

This is another signing like Clubb where if the club wanted to show some ambition they would have let him leave and put the money towards a better player. The squad needs thinning out of players of this standard.
Presumably one of the junior players off our epic production line. It’s not like Hankinson will get a game if the two first team centres are fit is it?
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

DaveO wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:19 pm
medlocke wrote:

Presumably one of the junior players off our epic production line. It’s not like Hankinson will get a game if the two first team centres are fit is it?
I don't disagree with your point DaveO. We should be recruiting fewer BUT better players than we do. Although I think Sarginson will leave - hence the signing of Jake Bibby

This re-signing is at total odds. Extends contract and promptly dropped. Utterly bizarre
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

medlocke wrote:

Who are they and if they are ready for SL why haven't they appeared yet
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:
medlocke wrote: And who do we have as back up center, Willie Isa?
Who are they and if they are ready for SL why haven't they appeared yet
Whoever are the current centres outside the first team. The point I am making is we have too many squad level players. You mentioned Isa before as a potential alternative. Does Hankinson offer more than him as a centre (Isa’s original position) or does Hankinson offer more in the back more than Isa given Hankinson being able to play there is mentioned by the club as a reason to give him a deal?

We seem to have two players in Isa and Hankinson who have the same job, cover back row and centre. Why do we need two if we have our production line? Neither of these two will play if the first choices are fit and it’s a luxury to have two squad players like them. The money for one of them should go toward better first choice players.
pedro

Post by pedro »

bingo Dave, plenty in the squad like that. They finally released Forsyth, how many game has he played since we resigned him?? A few squad players who are just eating cap space.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:31 pm
medlocke wrote:
I don't disagree with your point DaveO. We should be recruiting fewer BUT better players than we do. Although I think Sarginson will leave - hence the signing of Jake Bibby

This re-signing is at total odds. Extends contract and promptly dropped. Utterly bizarre
Our injury record these past 3/4 years would suggest recruiting fewer but better may not be best...
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Hankinson contract extended

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote:
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:31 pm

Our injury record these past 3/4 years would suggest recruiting fewer but better may not be best...
It’s a gamble forced by the fact the salary cap is so low. Have a load of average players and hope the teams with a few star players but less depth pick up injuries seems to our plan.

Even if that is the plan we still seem to have a squad of thirty odd players and out of that about twenty odd are the ones that get to play. As mentioned by Pedro, Forsyth never seen having been re signed from RU.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Forsyth out Hankinson in,deadwood for deadwood.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Still waiting for you to name these great young centers waiting in the wings Dave.

Anybody would think Hankinson had been given a marque place for 4 seasons the way your going on about