What has to happen for Lam to succeed?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

What has to happen for Lam to succeed?

Post by ancientnloyal »

The question is not about this year, as it is a write-off. The chances are Lam will be our coach next year so in order to keep the Lam Out Brigade (of which I am signed up to for now) what has to happen for him to succeed?

Club backing?
Correct transfers?
Change in coaching and approach?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: What has to happen for Lam to succeed?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I am not sure if he can succeed!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

ancientnloyal wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:40 pm The question is not about this year, as it is a write-off. The chances are Lam will be our coach next year so in order to keep the Lam Out Brigade (of which I am signed up to for now) what has to happen for him to succeed?

Club backing?
Correct transfers?
Change in coaching and approach?
I think for me the problem is its almost impossible to Judge lam as a coach with so many other factors. Recruitment has been criminally bad but the club have a tactic with everything that seems to be working on some fans which is wait until they are absolutely depressed give them a hint of good news and its that much of a break in the clouds it makes fans forget about other things. For example Hastings would be a great signing but if anyone things Hastings alone is enough to transform this recruitment drive recently from being poor then they really are kidding themselves we need 2 or 3 Hastings level signings at least.

They seem intent on turning mediocrity into acceptable and for some fans at least its working you can see it in the comments some fans have already given up on being the top club in the league and are accepting more and more being happy with teams cast offs. The club is treating fans like absolute idiots see "most destructive forward in the league" comment for an example.

So for me in the very first instance we need to sort out our future identity - are we a Wigan team who want to win every trophy or one that wants to compete in the middle zone. Lam may not be a top coach but without a top team or backroom staff theres little to no point having a top coach

Id rather Radlinski was the first name on the leavers list
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
AHH100

Post by AHH100 »

Don’t blame Rads. He has no say whatsoever in who leaves or who stays. He just does what he is told. I’m sure that if he could find something else with similar rewards he would be off. He may pass on an opinion but that’s as far as it goes. All real decisions come from IL.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He can’t. He won’t. He has shown nothing. We would be better off with no coach. Last week end was an away win in Yorkshire, however ugly, which is possibly our result of the year. He wasn’t here for most of the preparation, and we improved instantly.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Rads does exactly what he is told, IL is not the sort of person to let others do what they wish particularly with his money.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:46 pm He can’t. He won’t. He has shown nothing. We would be better off with no coach. Last week end was an away win in Yorkshire, however ugly, which is possibly our result of the year. He wasn’t here for most of the preparation, and we improved instantly.
We improved?,are you serious, we were awful and only beat the joint worst team in SL.Lam may not be the answer but with the rubbish he has to pick from he can not be blamed.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He inherited the squad of the current SL champions, so yes he can be blamed for giving us no structure or plan after 20 games.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:42 pm He inherited the squad of the current SL champions, so yes he can be blamed for giving us no structure or plan after 20 games.
For goodness sake, don’t start talking sense on here, you will get slated.
There is not a coach in the world that could have done much better with the situation Lam has had this season.
As I have said before on here, you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Whatever the deficiencies of the squad, injuries and the strange situation of being a 'stand in' for Shaun Edwards, you have to ask the question - have we progressed as a team this season? I'm sure that everyone will make up their own mind.