19-man squad vs Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

19-man squad vs Leeds

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Head Coach names 19-man squad to face Leeds Rhinos

Hardaker and Flower miss out due to injury

Leeds Rhinos vs Wigan Warriors, Betfred Super League, Emerald Headingley, Friday 14th June, K.O. 7:45pm

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Adrian Lam has named the 19-man squad to face Leeds Rhinos this Friday in the Betfred Super League.

The sides will meet for the second time this season on Friday evening. Their first clash came in February at the DW Stadium where the Warriors came out 34-16 victors thanks to tries from Sarginson, Flower, Greenwood, Bullock, Williams and Farrell.

Injury news

Hardaker misses out of the 19 due to a hamstring injury sustained last week vs Hull KR. Ben Flower also misses out due to a back injury picked up in the same game.

Tom Davies (ankle) and Dom Manfredi (knee) remain the only two players out with long-term injuries.

19-man squad to face Leeds Rhinos

image: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/admin/res ... nos-19.jpg

Joe Bullock, Joe Burgess, Liam Byrne, Tony Clubb, Morgan Escare, Liam Farrell, Oliver Gildart, Chris Hankinson, Willie Isa, Tommy Leuluai, Liam Marshall, Romain Navarrete, Sean O’Loughlin, Oliver Partington, Sam Powell, Jarrod Sammut, Dan Sarginson, Morgan Smithies, George Williams.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... iLuJZP2.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: 19-man squad vs Leeds

Post by josie andrews »

Taulima Tautai left out of Wigan Warriors squad after court appearance for drink-driving

Taulima Tautai has been left out of Wigan's squad to face Leeds on Friday following his court appearance for drink-driving.

The prop is not in Adrian Lam's 19-man squad for the Sky-televised showdown at Headingley.

Tautai appeared in court in Wigan late this morning to face a charge of drink-driving in Pemberton, at 4.10am on Sunday May 26 - hours after his appearance for Wigan in their Magic Weekend loss to Warrington (a court report will appear on this website shortly).

He retained his place in the side for Sunday's 19-18 win at Hull KR. It is unclear if his omission is a punishment or due to form or injury, but Lam will take his weekly press conference this afternoon.

Elsewhere, Joe Greenwood (ribs) is still out and Ben Flower and Zak Hardaker are ruled out as they nurse back and hamstring injuries respectively. Jake Shorrocks has been left out.

Chris Hankinson, Ollie Partington, Romain Navarrete and Jarrod Sammut - who didn't face the Robins - are in the provisional squad which will be cut to 17 on Friday.

Wigan's 19-man squad: Joe Bullock, Joe Burgess, Liam Byrne, Tony Clubb, Morgan Escare, Liam Farrell, Oliver Gildart, Chris Hankinson, Willie Isa, Tommy Leuluai, Liam Marshall, Romain Navarrete, Sean O’Loughlin, Oliver Partington, Sam Powell, Jarrod Sammut, Dan Sarginson, Morgan Smithies, George Williams.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/taulim ... -1-9817942
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

T didn’t deserve a place in the squad based on form alone but Shorrocks did in my opinion. I am finding it very difficult to understand Lam’s selection policy especially given his statement a few weeks ago when he stated that the forwards needed to perform or they would be dropped. Jobs for the boys continually springs to mind!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:37 pm T didn’t deserve a place in the squad based on form alone but Shorrocks did in my opinion. I am finding it very difficult to understand Lam’s selection policy especially given his statement a few weeks ago when he stated that the forwards needed to perform or they would be dropped. Jobs for the boys continually springs to mind!
I commented on Sunday when we were down to two interchanges that Lammy, or his coaching staff, have no idea how to utilise the bench in those situations!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Squad for Friday

Leeds’ 19-man squad: Jack Walker, Tom Briscoe, Kallum Watkins, Konrad Hurrell, Ash Handley, Tui Lolohea, Richie Myler, Adam Cuthbertson, Brad Singleton, Trent Merrin, Brad Dwyer, Liam Sutcliffe, Brett Ferres, Mikolaj Oledzki, Cameron Smith, James Donaldson, Harry Newman, Wellington Albert, Ava Seumanufagai.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I wish we would name the squad in playing order instead of alphabetically 🙁
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

There’s no point in even naming Escaré is there, poor kid.
I’d have Tautai, Mullen and Hamlin in the squad
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:37 pm T didn’t deserve a place in the squad based on form alone but Shorrocks did in my opinion. I am finding it very difficult to understand Lam’s selection policy especially given his statement a few weeks ago when he stated that the forwards needed to perform or they would be dropped. Jobs for the boys continually springs to mind!
Who was included who you don't think should have been based on the above?

Who could they have been replaced with?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

To be fair Tautai had (up until Hull KR) had a couple of improved games and since we're weak in the forwards he probably made his position a little safer by being one of our more effective forwards into contact. Without him we would be relying too heavily on Bullock for that. He was still short of being good enough but there were improved signs from him. Unfortunately that didn't carry over into the Hull KR game. On form he was probably doing better than Clubb (who conversely had one of his better games at the weekend).

As for Shorrocks, I don't blame Lam on that one. He really seems to struggle in defence when playing hooker and was given a torrid time by Wire. I think he was only on the bench out of necessity. Sammut is better in the halves and with him coming back into the side where would Shorrocks play? Sammut to 7, Tommy back to 9 and Powell should keep his place because despite his drawbacks he played well against Hull KR.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Who else would you suggest he bring into the squad in the pack.?
He's got Partington, Byrne and Smithies in there.
As for Shorrocks, IF !! Sammutt is fit I think he should play. Tommy and Powell to share the hooking role.
Sarge to FB, Hankinson to centre. Escare and 3 forwards on the bench.
Simples.!!