Joe Burgess says one-year deal with Wigan Warriors 'not a sign of NRL plan'

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Joe Burgess says one-year deal with Wigan Warriors 'not a sign of NRL plan'

Post by josie andrews »

Joe Burgess insists he may extend his stay at Wigan next year despite only signing a one-year extension.

The prolific winger has never shied away from the fact he would like to have another crack at the NRL, following a year with Sydney Roosters and then Souths in 2016. Wigan last week confirmed he had signed a new contract – as predicted in the Wigan Observer more than a month ago.

But the deal is only for one additional year, and many have taken that as a sign the 24-year-old already has eyes on following mates John Bateman and Ryan Sutton, and Canberra-bound George Williams, Down Under.

Burgess, though, insists he has not yet thought that far ahead.

“Just because it’s one year, it doesn’t necessarily mean I’ll be going to the NRL,” he said.

“I don’t know where I’ll be at, I just wanted another year and then look at my options.

“I’m not saying I’m going to the NRL – I’m really happy here, I’m buzzing to have signed a new deal, and in a year’s time I may decide I want to stay longer at Wigan.

“I just thought I’d keep my options open.”

Burgess has averaged around a try a match since bursting into the Warriors side and crossed in the 19-18 win at Hull KR on Sunday – having led 14-6 at half-time.

“We won the game twice, we didn’t play badly in the first half but we went away from that – if we’d carried on doing that we could have put 30 points on them,” said Burgess.

“It was almost deja vu from other losses this year, but we got the win and now we’ve got a big four games coming up to try and break into the top five.

“If we get these four wins we’re right up there, we’ll be fighting for a top three or top four. We just need a bit of consistency.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/joe-bu ... -1-9816698
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Re: Joe Burgess says one-year deal with Wigan Warriors 'not a sign of NRL plan'

Post by ancientnloyal »

Why mention it if not true.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Re: Joe Burgess says one-year deal with Wigan Warriors 'not a sign of NRL plan'

Post by josie andrews »

ancientnloyal wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:11 pm Why mention it if not true.
Because that's what all the fans are saying to him.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan