Hankinson

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wes

Hankinson

Post by Wes »

Brilliant defensively and the boy can kick! He needs a good run of games in that right centre spot, he had Hurrell in his pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
old hooker

Re: Hankinson

Post by old hooker »

He defends well and can kick goals but please lets start thinking hes a top class centre, he is average all round and is not going to win us games with special plays.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

old hooker wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:01 pm He defends well and can kick goals but please lets start thinking hes a top class centre, he is average all round and is not going to win us games with special plays.
Yet he won us that game last night and who knows how many games we would have won with his kicking if he had played, Remember how many on here wanted Richards gone after a year, I know he's nowhere near Richards standard in attack but maybe his kicking is
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I must admit i was really impressed with his kicking....... every goal kick bang in centre....... i always think zak is gonna miss the hard kicks........ give him a few games at right centre and lets see....... if hes not good enough then at least we will know........ great defensive display by him friday and my mom........ by the way who got sky sports mom anybody? I missed the after match stuff
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

With Hardaker out Lam has indicated he was picked for his goal kicking and if so Lam made the right call.

Doesn’t Hardaker have a hamstring injury? If so I’d expect Hankinson to get a bit of a run.

When all three of Sarge, Hankinson and Hardaker are fit, the question then becomes which out of Sarge and Hanksinson does Lam consider the better player?

The goal kicking could possibly sway it Hankinson’s way. Even though Hardaker is also a goal kicker if Hankinson is knocking them over for fun it could be enough for him to keep his place.

However winning a centre spot v Sarge is not that great an achievement so as to him being good enough long term the question then becomes is he as good as the centres of our rivals? Would he make the Saints team for example? If the answer is “no” then he’s just another player we need to move on.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Saw it suggested on another forum but Sarginson on the wing instead of Marshall would be fine by me. Gives Hankinson a run of games at centre to see what he can do. Allows Hardaker to remain at fullback where he's been one of our better players this year and keeps Sarginson in the side in a position where he can make good kick returns and strong carries - which is pretty important given our weak front row.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

EagleEyePie wrote:Saw it suggested on another forum but Sarginson on the wing instead of Marshall would be fine by me. Gives Hankinson a run of games at centre to see what he can do. Allows Hardaker to remain at fullback where he's been one of our better players this year and keeps Sarginson in the side in a position where he can make good kick returns and strong carries - which is pretty important given our weak front row.
That would be completely bonkers, Sarge isn’t as good a winger as Marshall. Not as fast and not as good a finisher. He’s not good enough to be played out of position just to get him the side.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Sarginson is one of the fastest players we have. Always has been. Whether he's actually quicker is pretty much irrelevant because he's certainly fast enough. Davies and Manfredi aren't as quick as Marshall either but they are better wingers.

As for not being as good a finisher he's good enough. Marshall has only scored 3 tries in Super League this year so it's hardly a case of leaving someone out who has scored tries that no one else is capable of.

What Sarginson is better at is kick returns, making strong carries and he's also a much bigger threat in the air. Whether he's got the positional sense and discipline to defend there remains to be seen, but I disagree that he isn't good enough to play out of position. He's a better player than Marshall.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:58 pm Sarginson is one of the fastest players we have. Always has been. Whether he's actually quicker is pretty much irrelevant because he's certainly fast enough. Davies and Manfredi aren't as quick as Marshall either but they are better wingers.

As for not being as good a finisher he's good enough. Marshall has only scored 3 tries in Super League this year so it's hardly a case of leaving someone out who has scored tries that no one else is capable of.

What Sarginson is better at is kick returns, making strong carries and he's also a much bigger threat in the air. Whether he's got the positional sense and discipline to defend there remains to be seen, but I disagree that he isn't good enough to play out of position. He's a better player than Marshall.
Most would say thats due to playing outside Sarg for most of the season though :lol:
DaveO

Hankinson

Post by DaveO »

EagleEyePie wrote:Sarginson is one of the fastest players we have. Always has been. Whether he's actually quicker is pretty much irrelevant because he's certainly fast enough. Davies and Manfredi aren't as quick as Marshall either but they are better wingers.

Better player than Marshall? Now you are being silly. Sarge is one of the most bang average players we have ever had.

And how many kick returns is he going to do?

He’s also no more likely to pass when charging down the wing as he is at centre. Can you imagine him having the vision to pass the ball inside? How good is he at actually playing as winger for most of the game going forward?

The idea we can just play musical chairs with players is nuts. He’s a centre or a full back. If he’s not chosen in either of those positions then he shouldn’t play.