Hankinson

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EagleEyePie

Re: Hankinson

Post by EagleEyePie »

DaveO wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:07 pm Better player than Marshall? Now you are being silly. Sarge is one of the most bang average players we have ever had.

And how many kick returns is he going to do?

He’s also no more likely to pass when charging down the wing as he is at centre. Can you imagine him having the vision to pass the ball inside? How good is he at actually playing as winger for most of the game going forward?

The idea we can just play musical chairs with players is nuts. He’s a centre or a full back. If he’s not chosen in either of those positions then he shouldn’t play.
I'm not the biggest Sarginson fan but he's nowhere near as bad as people make out. Players being versatile or being tried in different positions isn't crazy idea. Players switching between the backline positions is a regular occurrence in the NRL. Sarge was always a stand off until he played centre. He wasn't a fullback until he started playing fullback. Moving players into different positions happens all the time.

Not saying it's a guaranteed success or an instant game changer, but Sarge is one of our more versatile players so I'd like to see him given a go on the wing. I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen. I don't dislike Marshall and he's improved. I do think it's worth consideration though. I think Sarginson's work rate is incredibly useful to the side right now and if there's a way of keeping Hardaker, Hankinson and Sarginson in the team it's worth considering. It's fine if you don't.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:15 pm
old hooker wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:01 pm He defends well and can kick goals but please lets start thinking hes a top class centre, he is average all round and is not going to win us games with special plays.
Yet he won us that game last night and who knows how many games we would have won with his kicking if he had played, Remember how many on here wanted Richards gone after a year, I know he's nowhere near Richards standard in attack but maybe his kicking is

I remember Matty Smith winning us a couple of games with drop goals but it didnt make him a good player.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

old hooker wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:25 am
old hooker wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:01 pm He defends well and can kick goals but please lets start thinking hes a top class centre, he is average all round and is not going to win us games with special plays.
Yet he won us that game last night and who knows how many games we would have won with his kicking if he had played, Remember how many on here wanted Richards gone after a year, I know he's nowhere near Richards standard in attack but maybe his kicking is

I remember Matty Smith winning us a couple of games with drop goals but it didnt make him a good player.
More than a couple and was nowhere near as bad for us as people made out.
Is also the type of player we have been missing.

More amusingly i see he attacks the line at Catalan so either hes changed his style or it was coaching that stopped him doing it at wigan.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I watched Hankinson again all through the match, and he was impressive in his defence and his kicking was impeccable. I would be interested to see what weight / height he is as Cas have made this type of player into effective second rowers or loose forwards.
When Pat Richards first came the first year we would have sent him home and look how that turned out, I have also got to hold my hand up and say Clubb had a better game lets hope he keeps up the work rate
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

old hooker wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:25 am

And look how we struggled when he left and we didn't have his organisational skills
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

ddtftf wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:44 am I watched Hankinson again all through the match, and he was impressive in his defence and his kicking was impeccable. I would be interested to see what weight / height he is as Cas have made this type of player into effective second rowers or loose forwards.
When Pat Richards first came the first year we would have sent him home and look how that turned out, I have also got to hold my hand up and say Clubb had a better game lets hope he keeps up the work rate
Six one and fourteen eleven.
Bigger than Farrell and Isa.
25 years old.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

Wandering Warrior wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:03 am
ddtftf wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:44 am I watched Hankinson again all through the match, and he was impressive in his defence and his kicking was impeccable. I would be interested to see what weight / height he is as Cas have made this type of player into effective second rowers or loose forwards.
25 years old.
But does not hit as hard, going forward, as either.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Height and weight irrelevant if you don’t have the right speed, strength and power.

Look at the size of Clubb.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Farrell and Isa are career long full time professionals. Hankinson is in his first full time season.
He was very good Friday night and if he kicks goals like that on a regular basis he simply has to play. His goal kicking kept us in the game and in front. For a team lacking in confidence that is very important. What he did prove is that a team conceding a penalty in their half will concede points. To see the scoreboard moving along on a regular basis will give a team a lot of confidence. Hankinson can do that.

How Lam copes with his team selection is down to him. Mind you given it is Lam selecting for Hudds I can see him dropping Hankinson from the 19 altogether.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Levrier wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:44 am
Wandering Warrior wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:03 am
25 years old.
But does not hit as hard, going forward, as either.
had better technique than both