Wigan Warriors ace George Williams facing new competition for a Great Britain spot

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors ace George Williams facing new competition for a Great Britain spot

Post by josie andrews »

George Williams looks set to face fresh competition for his place in the Great Britain side this autumn.

The revived Lions, who haven’t played a match since 2007, will play New Zealand, Tonga and Papua New Guinea later this year.

And England coach Wayne Bennett, who will lead the Lions, has thrown the door open to Australian-born Jackson Hastings and Blake Austin by saying he is open to selecting non English-born players for it.

The pair qualify through having a British grandparent each, and could press Canberra-bound Williams, who started for England in each of their three tests against New Zealand last season, for his place.

Bennett spoke of his enthusiasm for the GB set-upat a press conference in St Helens.

“The England part was a bit foreign to me to be honest, I’m very happy to see Great Britain back,” Bennett said.

“In Australia it’s a household name, it’s such a great brand.

“International football is in the best place it’s been for a long time.”

Bennett met the England players included in the elite performance squad on Monday night and says players from Wales, Ireland and Scotland will also be considered for the tour.

“I’m going to pick the best team I possibly can,” he said. “If they are eligible they will tell me. I just want the best players on the tour.

“Some names have been thrown at me and there’s a few we need to find eligibility for.”

The national coach says he will consider Warrington’s Australia-born stand-off Austin, the front-runner for the Man of Steel award who has a British grandmother.

Blake seems to be enjoying his footy here,” Bennett said. “He hasn’t always lived up to his talent. Anyone who is eligible and wants to come, they will be part of the mix.”

Bennett, who met up with his NRL-based England players recently, will hold interviews for the vacant Great Britain assistant role during his whistle-stop trip to the UK.

It was confirmed that St Helens assistant coach Paul Wellens will not be part of the national backroom staff this year.

Bennett, 69, is out of contract at the end of the tour but dropped a strong hint that he will extend his stay.

“In my own mind, I’d like to be here for the World Cup in 2021,” he said.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9828765
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Wigan Warriors ace George Williams facing new competition for a Great Britain spot

Post by medlocke »

No Australian or NZ player should ever play for GB/England unless they where born here, Bollox to grandparent/parent rule, If we carry on like this GB/England will be nothing more than the Australian B team
Firestarter

Re: Wigan Warriors ace George Williams facing new competition for a Great Britain spot

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:55 pm No Australian or NZ player should ever play for GB/England unless they where born here, Bollox to grandparent/parent rule, If we carry on like this GB/England will be nothing more than the Australian B team
I agree meds we will end up as bad as queensland
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It's not a great look, but we see it in RU, cricket... and it's hardly a new thing is league either; Rangi Chase?

And it's not going to go away.
bertina

Post by bertina »

moto748 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:12 pm It's not a great look, but we see it in RU, cricket... and it's hardly a new thing is league either; Rangi Chase?

Based on his form this season he’s lucky to be in the Wigan team, let alone GB.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

bertina wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:42 pm
moto748 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:12 pm It's not a great look, but we see it in RU, cricket... and it's hardly a new thing is league either; Rangi Chase?

Based on his form this season he’s lucky to be in the Wigan team, let alone GB.
Zing! Burn! Etc etc😀
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

If I was a good coach I would not pick George Williams, I wouldn’t even put him in the squad, He is shockingly bad.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

ancientnloyal wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:26 pm If I was a good coach I would not pick George Williams, I wouldn’t even put him in the squad, He is shockingly bad.
Brilliant !!
So shockingly bad Wayne Bennett had him at 6 with England beating the Kiwis, who themselves had 2 All Star NRL halves.
I think actually, I'll possibly go with the coaches' pick, but he's probably "shockingly bad" also, as well as Ricky Stuart who obviously, as his track record shows, has no idea on who and how to recruit top talent !!
Some people on here said the same goes for Ryan Sutton, was not NRL standard and would be back here in a few months !
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't mind saying I didn't think Sutton would be able to step up to the NRL, but it looks like he has, and fair play to him. Goes to show, amongst other factors, how much the NRL environment can improve players.

As for Williams, of course he is not a bad player. In Canberra terms, though, he is Wighton-type player, I agree.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Petero Civoniceva and others played for Aus team and many others not born in Australia :roll: :roll: