Maloney still open to Super League switch with Leeds and Catalans interested

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Maloney still open to Super League switch with Leeds and Catalans interested

Post by josie andrews »

Penrith half-back James Maloney is keeping his options open after his world class performance in Origin II.

The 33-year-old earned a surprise recall for New South Wales last week and produced a masterclass to help his state level the series.

Despite this, the veteran half-back is still open to offers from Super League for next season with Leeds and Catalans reported to be interested.

Maloney, who is backing himself to play until he’s 36, has a deal with the Panthers until the end of 2020 but could move early if a longer deal is offered elsewhere.

“It’s nice to be back with the Blues and playing, but it doesn’t change my overall outlook with what I do moving forward,” he told The Sydney Morning Herald.

“I’m not actively looking, but I’d be silly not to look at something if it popped up. I’ve only got 12 months left at Penrith. I always felt my time over here [in the NRL] would be done after that.

“You have to wonder if those [Super League] options will be available next year. I wouldn’t do a one-year deal over there. It would have to be two or three. My body would be fine over there.”

Leeds Rhinos have been linked with Maloney, however they are unlikely to make a move until they guarantee Super League status for next season.

The other leading candidates are Catalans and reports suggest Maloney could be attracted to the warmer climate in France, with the Dragons general manager Alex Chan saying they would “definitely be interested.”

“It would be silly not to show interest in a player like him,” said Chan. “He’s a proven winner, as everyone says, and he’s a bloody good player.

“We’re on the Mediterranean, we’ve got the lifestyle, the love of the game and chance to experience another culture.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/maloney- ... ted-21045/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Maloney still open to Super League switch with Leeds and Catalans interested

Post by Caboosegg »

My body would be fine over there????

How many other NRL player have been that arrogant and been brought to earth.

Rugby is still rugby and just because we arnt NRL standard doesnt mean its easy.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
kevbrown1980

Re: Maloney still open to Super League switch with Leeds and Catalans interested

Post by kevbrown1980 »

Is there anyone Leeds aren't linked with?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

kevbrown1980 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:07 pm Is there anyone Leeds aren't linked with?
Yea lolohea( until he hits form) 😭😭
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:49 am My body would be fine over there????

How many other NRL player have been that arrogant and been brought to earth.

Rugby is still rugby and just because we arnt NRL standard doesnt mean its easy.
It's long been regarded that the harder Aussie grounds do more damage to knees and joints. Nothing new. Has he actually claimed that playing the game in SL will be easier?
“You have to wonder if those [Super League] options will be available next year. I wouldn’t do a one-year deal over there. It would have to be two or three. My body would be fine over there.”
So from that it sounds like he is looking for a longer term deal rather than a club using him as some sort of stop-gap signing because of salary cap constraints

He like anyone can't predict picking up a serious injury but it is obvious from the quotes that he is looking for a move sooner rather than later
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: