Halfback pairing 2020 concern

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Halfback pairing 2020 concern

Post by nathan_rugby »

Assuming the rumor re Hastings is correct, who will be his halfback partner for 2020?

If it is Tommy then do we have any concerns about the impact Hastings will have?

Reading an article on Skysports where he talks about playing with Lui and now forming a partnership with Lolohea, he said the following:

"I think the way I got Robbie playing and got him on the ball running and using his ability, I think that is what I got Tui doing last week."

That to me indicates he is a first receiver / scrum-half. Now if we keep Tommy, will Tommy become our 6 ? A position we all know he isn't capable of playing or will we move Hasting's to second receiver/6 potentially moving him from his best position and reducing his impact?

I for one will be very disappointed if we play him outside of his favored position just to accommodate Tommy in the side.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Re: Halfback pairing 2020 concern

Post by Caboosegg »

we have 2 young half backs that haven't been let go.
Smith and Wood, now smith is still young but Wood should be playing with us next year.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

If as is believed weve offered hastings a step to the NRL for a year then its important for me tommy is not in our plans unless its strictly at hooker. We cant have a situation were in 1 year we have no halfbacks, giving shorrocks or another 1 year to play along side a proven genuine half will hopefully bring them on enough to be at least first choice material - then we can have some consistency the following year
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

A cheeky offer to Tony Gigot maybe?
pedro

Post by pedro »

Sammut as he still has a year left after this
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Most teams have long since abandoned traditional roles and play split halves. Even if Salford do use more traditional roles they seem to play split halves for long periods of the game so it shouldn't be a huge issue. Hastings generally plays on the left edge just like Williams. Both Leuluai and Sammut can play a more direct game if needed. If someone like Woods or Smith forces their way into the team then Hastings might end up having to play a more direct game than he's used to but he seems capable of that.

Ultimately though any half should be able to play as 1st receiver and be able to take the line on. If they can't then hopefully the coaches will work on getting them there.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

A bit left field, but would it be worth trying to put Gildart as a running #6, a position he played quite a bit as a youngster.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

More of a concern for me is Hastings brings player on to the ball ,have we got enough players with the guys and energy to run into em.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

More of a concern for me is Hastings brings players on to the ball ,have we got enough players with the guts and energy to run into em.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:42 pm A bit left field, but would it be worth trying to put Gildart as a running #6, a position he played quite a bit as a youngster.
Was Gildart any good at 6?