Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Powell

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I have been a critic of Sam in the past but his last couple of performances have been outstanding.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Re: Powell

Post by DaveO »

Stop confusing less crap with brilliant ;)

Wasn’t quick enough to finish off that break for the line he made through the gap was he?

His improvement is welcomed but a lot of it must go down to Lam who has obviously told him not just him but others play a different game such as the props driving it in.

So has Powell been held back by Wane’s tactics? Looks that way but that doesn’t mean he’s up there the top hookers in the league. We should still look to do better for a nine.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Stop confusing unbiased assessment for having an agenda Dave. ;)

I've been a critic of Sam's but recent performances have been a revelation. Maybe not Roby/Clark good but certainly the equal of anyone else in Superleague. Parcel was his opposite number tonight, someone many were advocating as a possible replacement. There was simply no comparison tonight. Powell by plenty.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Flash wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:55 am Stop confusing unbiased assessment for having an agenda Dave. ;)

I've been a critic of Sam's but recent performances have been a revelation. Maybe not Roby/Clark good but certainly the equal of anyone else in Superleague. Parcel was his opposite number tonight, someone many were advocating as a possible replacement. There was simply no comparison tonight. Powell by plenty.
agreed spot on.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Powell always seemed to be solid defensively but robotic and predictable in attack. It's bound to frustrate fans when they see Roby and Clark doing so much damage.

I don't think it's a surprise that this upturn in form came after Lam suggested some of the established players needed to produce more. He's also playing better now that he's willing to run from dummy half and actually get out from behind the ruck before passing.

No, he's not in the same mould as Roby or Clark and he'll never be able to mimic the way they play, so he'll always have to do things differently. There's a misconception that people suggesting Powell needs to run from dummy half more is saying he needs to be a hooker who always runs at the line.

I've seen the argument that Cameron Smith doesn't run from dummy half and he's the best in the world so running from dummy half is overrated. Anyone who watches Smith will know that he does run from dummy half. In fact he averages around 50m per game this year but has made 70-80+ metres in some games. He takes the ball into contact too.

Hooker is similar to playing halfback. There may be some halves who pass before the line regularly and are quite effective but generally the best and most effective are those who take the ball to the line and draw in defenders. Hooker is the same. If you just stand at the ruck and pass the ball on you're not engaging the attention of the defence. If you step out from dummy half and make yourself an option to run the ball, as well as pass, at least one defender has to be drawn to you. It's pretty much the basis of rugby league - creating a numbers advantage. I don't see why anyone would suggest that running from dummy half is overrated or unnecessary.

Now that Powell has shown a willingness to get out from dummy half he won't necessarily have to do it as often. Just by showing that it's an option will force defenders to focus more closely on who is behind the ruck.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I have always liked Sam but I have also been critical of his lack of creative play and any running game from 9.
It's a massive plus offering the threat from the play the ball. It keeps the middles tight and gives your forwards more chance of yards on short balls and more space out the back for your halves and edges. No surprise that since he started this our right side looks as dangerous as our left. Second half late on Zak was more or less on the left edge and William's took the middle and right more than I have ever seen. I think this broke our rhythm but shows Lam is working on developing players and the way we play. While I enjoyed the wins of the last few GF's for me last night was "entertaining!" I hope we see more.
Powel will do for me if he keeps working on his go forward no need for another 9 a 80 minute 40+ tackles and leader who seems a good guy which with the off field stuff is important.
Last edited by lucky 13 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

He’s got better and better each week,he will never be a world beater,he will only play to his strengths and what the coach asks of him.

Time to stop droning on about other players,accept the coaches view that he’s good enough and get off his back,I’ll say this it wouldn’t surprise me if Powell stays at Wigan for his whole career.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:02 am He’s got better and better each week,he will never be a world beater,he will only play to his strengths and what the coach asks of him.

Time to stop droning on about other players,accept the coaches view that he’s good enough and get off his back,I’ll say this it wouldn’t surprise me if Powell stays at Wigan for his whole career.
i have no problem with sam at hooker...... if tommy stays next season i would like him to cover hooker/half back....... and hopefully get another half to partner hastings...... that would mean us possibly releasing sammut or possibly give young smith a chance( who i havent seen yet)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:09 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:02 am He’s got better and better each week,he will never be a world beater,he will only play to his strengths and what the coach asks of him.

i have no problem with sam at hooker...... if tommy stays next season i would like him to cover hooker/half back....... and hopefully get another half to partner hastings...... that would mean us possibly releasing sammut or possibly give young smith a chance( who i havent seen yet)
Tommy will be playing next year.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Flash wrote:Stop confusing unbiased assessment for having an agenda Dave. ;)

As good as anyone else in the league? Not in my opinion. Just because we are all pleasantly surprised he’s actually running from acting half back these days doesn’t mean he’s developed an extra yard of pace.

There are players who are average SL players and there are those who are a cut above. He’s still in the former category and I don’t think his basic skills will ever let him leave it.