Origin bombshell as Wayne Bennett prepared to make Maroons return

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Origin bombshell as Wayne Bennett prepared to make Maroons return

Post by josie andrews »

Wayne Bennett could make a spectacular return as Queensland coach as early as next year.

The Australian has reported the Queensland Rugby League has pinpointed the veteran supercoach as a replacement if Kevin Walters lands an NRL job for 2020.

Walters is gunning for the Gold Coast coaching job if Garth Brennan is punted from the role.

Bennett coached the Maroons for 21 games - his last in 2003 - and won 11 of them.

The South Sydney coach told the Sydney Morning Herald he would be open to answering a call from the QRL.

“If they feel there is a part for me to play and I feel I can do that, I will do that. It’s as simple as that for me,” Bennett said.

“It’s about Queensland. I’ve done so much coaching up there, nothing has changed for me.

“At this point there has been no approach, so that’s the first part I want to make clear.

“I have always been committed to rugby league in Queensland since I got into coaching. Besides coaching Origin, I’ve done a lot of stuff in regards to Queensland Academy of Sport programs, a lot of stuff prior to that, I’ve coached Queensland under-18s.

“My commitment has been total to Queensland. That’s important to me.

“To cut a long story short, the bottom line is if they thought I was the best and Kevin moved on and wasn’t able to do it, I’d certainly look at it.”

Walters is contracted for the 2020 State of Origin series but would step away from the job if he landed the Titans role.

No matter the result of Wednesday’s series decider the QRL has guaranteed Walters will see out his contract unless he decides to step away.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state- ... 1562394997
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan