Wigan v Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Wigan v Hull KR

Post by Firestarter »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:32 am
Firestarter wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:06 pm If clubb is injured we seriously need get clark in asap
Why?
because we are light in the front row then(club,tautai,hamlin,flower).... also getting clark here early can only do him ,and the club good........ oh and we got space on the cap
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ben Flower reckons another two weeks before he is back 😐
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:36 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:34 pm MOM was Faz by a country mile for me.

Good attack, alot less errors than previous weeks, defence still needs work both kr tries were off the set on the back of our errors.
I thought Faz had a great game. Look so much better on the left.

I also thought Hardaker played well at FB.

What was most pleasing about the performance was the enthusiasm. Everyone was up for it. OK maybe it's easy to be when you are battering the other team but when players like Bulluck came on he really went for it.

The defence just before the end of the first half when Narette was in the sin bin was also epic. Included and absolute bell ringer of tackle off Tommy. Left their player staggering a bit.
Our general defence was great, but the fact that we just seemed to lose it when we made an error is scary, if KR has had repeat sets on our line i could take it but both times it was Wigan make an error and then hull kr are over first set.

Im maybe just worried about it due to saints next week. Overall i enjoyed the game it was great to watch and in my opinion the poor performance from KR was down to us preventing them getting in the game, we just didnt let up on the pressure.

Was also great to hear so much singing and chanting by fans, if that is Lams style and we see it consistently i eat humble pie on and admit my view on him was wrong.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

No weak links - everyone did well. Pleased at Powell's improvement and just need to persuade him that trying to burrow over the line at every opportunity is not a good option.
Farrell was immense and our first try was one of the best of the season.
Now to a real test next Friday. I'd like to win but I won't be downhearted as long as we put in a really good performance as that would show just how far we have come.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have always rated Lam, and thought it was just a matter of time. :D
Great win, great style and high tempo.
If we can win next week, then things will look very different. 10th time lucky or back down to earth with a bump?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:21 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:32 am
Firestarter wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:06 pm If clubb is injured we seriously need get clark in asap
Why?
because we are light in the front row then(club,tautai,hamlin,flower).... also getting clark here early can only do him ,and the club good........ oh and we got space on the cap
Why would Cas let a player leave early?

Wigan are in direct competition with Cas I’d be amazed if he came early if I’m honest
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:36 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:34 pm MOM was Faz by a country mile for me.

Good attack, alot less errors than previous weeks, defence still needs work both kr tries were off the set on the back of our errors.
I thought Faz had a great game. Look so much better on the left.

I also thought Hardaker played well at FB.

What was most pleasing about the performance was the enthusiasm. Everyone was up for it. OK maybe it's easy to be when you are battering the other team but when players like Bulluck came on he really went for it.

The defence just before the end of the first half when Narette was in the sin bin was also epic. Included and absolute bell ringer of tackle off Tommy. Left their player staggering a bit.
Our general defence was great, but the fact that we just seemed to lose it when we made an error is scary, if KR has had repeat sets on our line i could take it but both times it was Wigan make an error and then hull kr are over first set.

Im maybe just worried about it due to saints next week. Overall i enjoyed the game it was great to watch and in my opinion the poor performance from KR was down to us preventing them getting in the game, we just didnt let up on the pressure.

Was also great to hear so much singing and chanting by fans, if that is Lams style and we see it consistently i eat humble pie on and admit my view on him was wrong.
We have had a tendency to be caught out with set moves fairly easily often after a period of attack. Their first try was their first attack and it was too easy for them to score.

Although that defence before half time was epic and got the crowd going there was was some panic at the end even when we got the ball back. We were not composed and turned it over deep in our own territory. We defended it again but you’d expect a team like Saints to have scored during that period of play so mistakes like that can’t be afforded next week.

As someone mentioned elsewhere Sarge kept shooting out of the line in defence and it came off every time but against Saints I doubt it would. I’d play Hankinson next week at centre as for me he’s already proved he’s more positionally award than Sarge and he won’t do that. I expect Lam to pick Sarge though as the more experienced player but if he does and Sarge tries that it could be very costly.

Overall though v HKR these are the only issues we had. I was listening to Radio Manchester on the way out of the ground and they were asking how do you coach a side the week after that because normally coaches can easily identify things to improve on and they were in awe of the performance.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

We were far from perfect, Tommy got away with a poor kick when Livett pushed him in the back ,we were also caught in possession on the last in the first half ,lack of game awareness from certain players.
We were playing a much improved side in recent weeks but mainly improved at home .
I don't see us winning next week even though saints are massively overrated and so much in love with themselves despite winning bugger all up to this point. They're far more polished than we are at this moment.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I don't think I've ever seen a perfect performance. There was relatively little wrong and a whole lot right. I think it's wrong to concentrate on a couple errors when there was so much that was good.

Whilst I get your points, the upward trajectory of how we're playing is great to see. We may well not beat Saints but we're going into the game with expectations of putting on a good performance and at least the chance of getting the win. Who would have said that a month ago?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Flash wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:32 pm I don't think I've ever seen a perfect performance. There was relatively little wrong and a whole lot right. I think it's wrong to concentrate on a couple errors when there was so much that was good.

Whilst I get your points, the upward trajectory of how we're playing is great to see. We may well not beat Saints but we're going into the game with expectations of putting on a good performance and at least the chance of getting the win. Who would have said that a month ago?
👏🏼👏🏼 Well said Flash 😊🏉🍒⚪️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan