Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Flash

Re: Powell

Post by Flash »

It's all about opinions, Dave, but on current form I can't think of another hooker outside the two mentioned who offers more. Leeming is better in attack but not as good in defense (hence him not being staring 9 at Huddersfield) and Houghton offers similar in both departments (although Powell's recent attack has been better than Houghton's). You could argue Mickey Mac is better but I'm taking into account the amount of time he's out injured these days. Lussick has been poor recently, Parcell was miles behind on last night's evidence, Dwyer is a headless chicken, McShane's form appears to have dropped off a cliff and there's no one else worth mentioning.

Equal (at least) of the above? Absolutely. In fact, on current form he's better than all of them. I do, however, realise a few games doesn't make a season and the challenge for him now is to maintain this improvement.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:58 am Powell always seemed to be solid defensively but robotic and predictable in attack. It's bound to frustrate fans when they see Roby and Clark doing so much damage.

I don't think it's a surprise that this upturn in form came after Lam suggested some of the established players needed to produce more. He's also playing better now that he's willing to run from dummy half and actually get out from behind the ruck before passing.

No, he's not in the same mould as Roby or Clark and he'll never be able to mimic the way they play, so he'll always have to do things differently. There's a misconception that people suggesting Powell needs to run from dummy half more is saying he needs to be a hooker who always runs at the line.

I've seen the argument that Cameron Smith doesn't run from dummy half and he's the best in the world so running from dummy half is overrated. Anyone who watches Smith will know that he does run from dummy half. In fact he averages around 50m per game this year but has made 70-80+ metres in some games. He takes the ball into contact too.

Hooker is similar to playing halfback. There may be some halves who pass before the line regularly and are quite effective but generally the best and most effective are those who take the ball to the line and draw in defenders. Hooker is the same. If you just stand at the ruck and pass the ball on you're not engaging the attention of the defence. If you step out from dummy half and make yourself an option to run the ball, as well as pass, at least one defender has to be drawn to you. It's pretty much the basis of rugby league - creating a numbers advantage. I don't see why anyone would suggest that running from dummy half is overrated or unnecessary.

Now that Powell has shown a willingness to get out from dummy half he won't necessarily have to do it as often. Just by showing that it's an option will force defenders to focus more closely on who is behind the ruck.
I agree.

Whilst Powell is (and in fairness never claimed to be) a Roby, he is a solid player for this salary capped team.

I have never understood the criticism of someone who is simply doing his best and doing it well enough imo.

Btw if running from dummy half was the be all and end all then Micky Higham would be in the hall of fame :shock:
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

My main criticism of him was just the quantity and type of penalties he continued to give away, not necessarily his skill set.
He's always given 100% and often tried too hard, which is perhaps one reason for his penalties concessions. Never been the best, nowhere near the worst, has won plenty of honours, and has improved both his discipline levels and his general play over the last few weeks. I put this down to Lam's recognition of detail because under Wane nothing seemed to alter with his game.
Still quite young so a continual improvement can only benefit.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:45 am
Btw if running from dummy half was the be all and end all then Micky Higham would be in the hall of fame :shock:
I wondered when his name would get brought up. Like it or not running from dummy half is a key facet of the no 9's game in modern day RL and the best at it have pace. The fact Powell is doing it more than he did it under Wane hasn't gifted him with a extra yard of pace.

Many of the posts in support of Powel are of the form "he's not be best but....". He occupies one of the key positions and along with 1,6,7 and 13 this is where your salary cap money should be spent. It's pretty hard to improve your team by spending a fortune on a winger useless he's an Offiah clone but there are certain positions where you can and one of them is 9. People are excited about the prospect of Hastings coming and I don't see why we should not look to improve another key position in the no 9 slot. It's what Wigan would have done a decade or so ago. Since when was "good enough", good enough for Wigan in a key position?
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Whilst I'm pleased that Powell is playing well, if I had to choose between Sam Powell in his best form and Mickey Higham in his best form - I know which one I'd choose every time.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

The best 9 in modern RL is Cam Smith hes not a massive runner of the ball but clocks over 60m most games and offers quality ball play. Other plus is hes got great D and plays 80 so Powell was half way there already :D
For me you just need to offer that threat. Powel said he and Lam had been working hard and it's made a big difference to us and you can not but fail to see that. Our right edge is now alive for example. I can only look at what's changed, from less than 30m a game to over 80m from our 9 is a big difference. That's not just scoots it's taking a few steps from the ruck to the line and passing asking markers to work and make decisions that every now and again they get wrong, I have said time and again we miss a trick not doing this under Wane the same with yards after contact. When Hamlin played his first game it was a huge downer to see such go forward knocked and while I admire what Wane achieved it was a frustration.
The middle young forwards if you remove Clubb made 130+ yard average. Again powell stepping out from 9 helps , these little change make a big difference. I was entertained Friday. Powell whatever went before is working on part of his game that I was critical of. I would go further and say I didnt even know if he could do it. At the moment allied with his D which as always been good his leadership when Lockers was injured early are all massive steps forward by him and for the team and the way we play.
He"s got to maintain that and improve it but I now have a reel feeling he may and if he does that negates the need to spend on that position. At the start of this run of games he dropped a goal at HKR from that point I have seen a steady improvement. It's what we wanted to see as fans more yards being made from our middles and a coach making players better. That looks to be happening even though its early days the signs are good. I'm.chuffed to bits to see our style changing players developing and for the first time in ages I feel a little bit of positivity about our club.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

I have always had a great deal of admiration for Powell. He has always done what has been asked of him. The idea that we could have world beaters in all of the spine positions is ridiculous in a salary capped sport. This season Powell has really come on as a player. He does the basics well and now he is putting the kind of doubt into the opposition's minds that allows the wide men that bit of extra space by pinning the defensive line for a fraction of a second. The important thing is that the men with the cheque books provide the players who can best make use of his talents. It is a bit like criticising my car for not being a Ferrari when in reality I need to take a wardrobe to the tip. If he was a more potent strike player but could not do all the other things that he does we would be looking for other players to fill in which in turn would affect us in other areas. A lot of other players have been suggested as a replacement but none of those who are available has really impressed me so much that I would swap.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Levrier wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:10 pm I have always had a great deal of admiration for Powell. He has always done what has been asked of him. The idea that we could have world beaters in all of the spine positions is ridiculous in a salary capped sport. This season Powell has really come on as a player. He does the basics well and now he is putting the kind of doubt into the opposition's minds that allows the wide men that bit of extra space by pinning the defensive line for a fraction of a second. The important thing is that the men with the cheque books provide the players who can best make use of his talents. It is a bit like criticising my car for not being a Ferrari when in reality I need to take a wardrobe to the tip. If he was a more potent strike player but could not do all the other things that he does we would be looking for other players to fill in which in turn would affect us in other areas. A lot of other players have been suggested as a replacement but none of those who are available has really impressed me so much that I would swap.
Spot on.

I truly believe that in 6 or 7 years time, when Sam is coming up to retirement, there'll be dozens of posters on here saying "How are we going to replace him?"
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐