Lam extends

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Lam extends

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors confirm Adrian Lam is to remain at the Club until the end of the 2020 season.

Lam has guided the Warriors to fourth in the Betfred Super League table this season.

48-year old Head Coach ‘honoured’ to extend deal with the Club.

Adrian Lam has penned a one-year contract extension to remain as Wigan Warriors Head Coach for the 2020 season.

Lam, who’s current deal was due to expire at the end of the 2019 season, has steered the Warriors into fourth position in the Betfred Super League having won 11 games this season.

Lam, who boasts an impressive coaching CV from spells at St George-Illawarra Dragons, Sydney Roosters and the Australian Kangaroos side, will remain with Wigan after he won the Challenge Cup in 2002 as a player in a memorable four-year spell with the Cherry and Whites.

Speaking about extending his stay, Lam said: “I am very honoured and privileged to remain on as Head Coach of the Wigan Warriors for the 2020 Season.

I have great memories as a player at our great Club and I look forward to creating more in the future as Coach.

“As Coach, I am most looking forward to developing and bringing through the next generation of young Wigan players and help progress the style of play which we have built on for the 2019 season.

“I would personally like to thank our Wigan fans and the Club for your support through the 2019 season.

Wigan Warriors Executive Director, Kris Radlinski, said: “With many off-field distractions, Adrian has done well to steady the ship and climb the Betfred Super League table.

“Throughout the season, Adrian has known exactly where he stands. An interim Head Coach was not an ideal position, but he dealt with what was a very difficult situation well with integrity and class.

“With this announcement out of the way, he can concentrate on a strong end to the season and put plans in place for next season. We’re happy to have Adrian with us for 2019 and beyond.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... 6tElkj7.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Lam extends

Post by fozzieskem »

Thought it would have been at least a two year deal?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam to coach Wigan Warriors in 2020

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/adrian ... -1-9864958
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
moto748

Post by moto748 »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:15 pm Thought it would have been at least a two year deal?
Seems a bit odd to me too. Some way short of a resounding vote of confidence?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:58 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:15 pm Thought it would have been at least a two year deal?
Maybe he doesn't want a longer deal himself?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Perfect!

More, like 3 years, would be an over-reaction to a decent spell against bottom half teams.

The alternative would be to assess things later in the season, but that makes it difficult for him to plan his future. This way he stays, and contract can always be extended, even during closed season.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Or he returns to Australia the same time as Hastings??
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

'Why Adrian Lam was the right choice to stay as Wigan Warriors coach' - comment

Adrian Lam won one trophy during his playing career at Wigan. The former halfback will now get a chance to beat that feat after signing on to coach Wigan in 2020.

It was the right choice.

After a rocky start - in part, surely, due to the overhaul in the off-season - he has put Wigan on course to give their title defence a real crack.

Five straight wins have propelled them up the ladder to fourth and, as they showed in the 52-10 demolition of Hull KR last Friday, they are beginning to play with the attacking flair he promised to deliver.

And he has navigated the side against a backdrop of off-field drama and negativity.

It's impossible to gauge what impact Shaun Edwards' public, drawn-out U-turn had on the team, and there were more serious issues to deal with, such as Gabe Hamlin's UKAD suspension and Craig Mullen's drink-driving conviction.

When Taulima Tautai was later charged with the same criminal offence, the coach faced fresh questions about the culture of the club under his watch; as if it was somehow Lam's fault that a 31-year-old decided to get behind the wheel of a car at 4am while twice over the limit!

At times, it's been hard not to feel a little sorry for Lam, who was thrust into a position he didn't sign up for but has yet handled it with diplomacy.

He is personable with fans and the media, his love for the club is obvious from the emotion he often displays.

He has always been respectful of his predecessor Shaun Wane, while admitting he wanted to put his own fingerprints on the playing style.

Like Wane, though, he has been keen to promote from within, giving debuts to four academy-products and pinning his faith in young forwards Morgan Smithies and Ollie Partington.

Ian Lenagan has a good track record with coaches, both in choosing them and being patient in tough times - he has never sacked a coach, not at Wigan or at previous club London.

And when Wigan were in the bottom half of the ladder, he still said Lam was the favourite to continue.

And Lam was happy to admit he wanted to continue. Last week, he said he was ready to start talking about a deal and a contract has now been agreed.

Now the ink has dried on a one-year extension, it allows him, and Wigan, to crack on with their play-offs push knowing there will be stability in place when the season finishes.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/why-ad ... -1-9865044
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I am surprised Lenagan found a pen 🖊
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:38 pm
moto748 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:58 pm
Maybe he doesn't want a longer deal himself?
Wayne was only on a one year rolling contract.