Sarge goes

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Re: Sarge goes

Post by First Try Tickle »

So who's the best centre between Sarge, Hankinson, Gelling or Bibby, who I assume we signed as a centre and not another winger.

Maybe the club are thinking if Williams settles he'll want Gildart and Budgie to join him.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Sarge out of that lot ,hankinson hasn't done enough yet ,don't know Bibby and I'm glad Gelling left and don't want him back so sarge out of them at this moment in time.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

First Try Tickle wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:43 pm So who's the best centre between Sarge, Hankinson, Gelling or Bibby, who I assume we signed as a centre and not another winger.

Maybe the club are thinking if Williams settles he'll want Gildart and Budgie to join him.
I’ll say again I think Burgess blew his bolt by going over far to early to the NRL,not sure given his patchy form and fitness why anyone would take a chance on him.

Gildart though I suspect will be under close scrutiny now
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:I reckon this forum must be about equally split between those who think Sarge is a bit better than Gelling, and those who think he's a bit worse.

Myself, I was always in the 'prefer Gelling' group. But that's not the same thing as saying chasing him now would be the right thing to do.,
It’s always been six of one and half a dozen of the other with me for these two.

I suppose the most disappointing was Gelling because he never eradicated the tendency for his brain fart moments. When he came he had the size and pace to be made to play centre but he’s just a likely to cost you a game as win you one. He’s still a project player and I think he’s 28 now.

Both can look good against poor teams but rarely do it against the best. Both also lack a “RL brain” in that Sarge never seems to know where his winger is (I have seen him pass plenty of times without actually looking) and both are liable to shoot out of the line defensively.

Watching Hankinson so far he’s better than either in terms of team play positionally but whether he has their physical attributes in particular pace is open to debate. He looks like he was brought up playing the game where those two don’t.