Lam extends

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Lam extends

Post by fozzieskem »

moto748 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:58 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:15 pm Thought it would have been at least a two year deal?
Seems a bit odd to me too. Some way short of a resounding vote of confidence?
Yea thats what I feel to, but we shall see.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Happy with this, covering our backsides by giving him the 1yr incase he turns out to not be the man for the job. Good decision in my book. Im far from a happy clapper but people will moan about anything on here. Youd still get people moaning if we signed sam burgess, maloney or bateman.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Good luck to him. I hope we win plenty while he is in charge. I don’t see the logic in announcing it this week, given that we can see exactly where we stand on Friday. Unless they are so concerned about yet another defeat I suppose. His record so far in games against the other top 5 teams and the WCC is played 9 lost 8. So we are certainly not appointing him based on any tangible achievement on the pitch.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

5-6 weeks ago I would have said no. But week on week there is improvement.

Seems we are heading in the right direction and hopefully will be getting even better.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

thegimble wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:09 am 5-6 weeks ago I would have said no. But week on week there is improvement.

Seems we are heading in the right direction and hopefully will be getting even better.
I am pleased to say I put myself in this camp too.

He hadn't a clue when he first started, but maybe he's a quick learner?

Let's hope so, and remember Alex Fergusson was a couple of weeks away from the sack when he first started at Man Utd.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Not surprised at Lammy getting the job but am surprised that it's just for a year. Having said that, I'm happy with the decision because I'm not convinced by Lammy yet. Our form has improved but against the poorer sides (Salford were better and we beat them too) and we'll know more on Friday. Announcing Lammy to stay after a heavy defeat on Friday would have been difficult and they may have had to delay until we won another couple of games. I don't really think that they have seriously considered anybody else for the job. Could it be that they were certain about Lammy and are now not so sure? The most important thing is that they now give him a squad good enough to challenge for honours and show us what his true abilities as a coach are. We don't want to be in the same position in twelve months time.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well they have given him Hastings on a marquee wage so it would be false economy to stop there with strengthening the squad.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Of course from Lam’s perspective, he has already been handed an extension on the basis of his failure to beat any decent sides in any important games, so I hope that his stress levels don’t rise as a result of being taught a lesson tonight. As this thread shows, he is clearly keeping everyone more than happy. Job’s a good un. To be honest it would be mean spirited to be disappointed given he has already shown us over and over again his ability in big matches.

Surely 1 year isn’t long enough for this colossus of the dug out.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:20 pm Of course from Lam’s perspective, he has already been handed an extension on the basis of his failure to beat any decent sides in any important games, so I hope that his stress levels don’t rise as a result of being taught a lesson tonight. As this thread shows, he is clearly keeping everyone more than happy. Job’s a good un. To be honest it would be mean spirited to be disappointed given he has already shown us over and over again his ability in big matches.

Surely 1 year isn’t long enough for this colossus of the dug out.
Get a bloody life for gods sake.
We have played saints with less than half our first choice pack.
Is that Lams fault .? Is it hell.
Tonight we got mullered in the forwards. Lam can only play what he has at his disposal.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I like that sense of perspective. It is after all just a game and let’s face it, it is really hard beating good teams.

Lam has inspired an extraordinary amount of loyalty and forgiveness among his many fans. Which is some skill. It is only a game after all, and we all follow the same team, so I appreciate different perspectives. I am staggered that no amount of defeats ever seems to be enough for anyone to doubt him, but if everyone else is happy that’s a good thing in the scheme of things.