Tony Smith issues warning over Hull KR recruitment as he hits out at Super League structure

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Tony Smith issues warning over Hull KR recruitment as he hits out at Super League structure

Post by josie andrews »

The Australian believes the system punishes struggling sides regardless of whether they are relegated

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/t ... ue-3078560
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Tony Smith issues warning over Hull KR recruitment as he hits out at Super League structure

Post by josie andrews »

I agree with him. If we got rid of P & R, increased SL to 14 or even 16 teams it would stop the yo-yoing up & down we have at present.

Plus we could then have a home & away fixture list instead of playing some of the teams 3,4, times in a season IMO

Okay, you could say that some teams aren't good enough for SL, but how will they ever get good enough if they never get the chance to play against bigger clubs.

I would also reduced oversea signings whether they are South Sea Islanders or exempt on the quota for one reason or another or not!

Just look at Hull for instance. Their combined academy is collapsing
because who would want to play for a team that has no chance of being promoted to the first team when that team/s is full of oversea players
That last statement was said to me by a site member last week as we watched our U19's thrash a City of Hull Academy 82 - 0!

This is one reason why we are losing young players to our game ☹️
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
jobo

Re: Tony Smith issues warning over Hull KR recruitment as he hits out at Super League structure

Post by jobo »

He's got a point. Think HKR probably will survive this year but with Toronto coming into the mix next year, any half decent player would be very hesitant in risking their livelihood by signing for them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The RFL aren't bothered if HKR get relegated, they already have a dam in Hull!

They would prefer for London to stay up as it pays t have a SL team in the capital.

I would like both to stay up! Stop P&R
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I think KR will be fine this season mainly because of London,I like P and R,sport should have jepody it all gets a little cosy when teams know there’s no chance of being bounced out of the SL,but I fully understand the view of getting rid of it.

I agree the league should be increased to a minimum of 14 teams the loop fixtures are already hurting the game,how many derbies do you need in a season,at one point I think those that saw the plethora of Salford games felt like they where stuck in Groundhog Day I know did,it’s ridiculous,the super 8s weren’t brilliant but that being said at least it jumbled things up a little,but surely the increase should come and soon.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Always agreed that we should have a 14/16 team SL.
Home and away without loop games or P & R.
Clubs should be promoted on what they would bring to SL. Quality squad & good stadium for starters.
Although at present there is a worry about a lack of quality players I do think that the reserve grade from next year will see an increase in junior and younger age players making it through to SL.

Make the magic weekend a last 16 Challenge Cup weekend.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:51 pm Always agreed that we should have a 14/16 team SL.
Home and away without loop games or P & R.
Clubs should be promoted on what they would bring to SL. Quality squad & good stadium for starters.
Although at present there is a worry about a lack of quality players I do think that the reserve grade from next year will see an increase in junior and younger age players making it through to SL.

Make the magic weekend a last 16 Challenge Cup weekend.
How much notice would it give fans / organisers following the previous round to prepare?

Never going to happen anyway, so maybe not worth responding. Its a pipe dream.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The new SL board are slowly getting to grips with the League's problems.
There have been hints that we could go to to 14 teams, whether this will be 2020 or for the new tv deal time will tell. That's if it happens at all.

As for the Magic being a last 16 C Cup comp. It would make sense to me. Eight games over two days fully televised. First, it would get the odd game out of Super League cleaning up that aspect of the comp.
Second, last 16 would give four games each of the two days. It would also bring Championship clubs to the event which would new spectators.

Third, the gap between rounds has always been a cause of discontent. The current three weeks then nine weeks gap has been agreed to ditch. I've always suggested the C Cup be played on the first weekend of the month. Most people are paid towards the end of the month, the C Cup is pay again for us season ticket holders so have it when we have money in our pockets, purses and wallets.

It can be done whether it will I, like you, doubt it.
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:30 pm The new SL board are slowly getting to grips with the League's problems.

As for the Magic being a last 16 C Cup comp. It would make sense to me. Eight games over two days fully televised. First, it would get the odd game out of Super League cleaning up that aspect of the comp.
Second, last 16 would give four games each of the two days. It would also bring Championship clubs to the event which would new spectators.
Good to think the SL board is getting to grips with the League's problems,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,

Magic is a Super League (and Sky) event, neither of whom will relinquish a TV special day to the RFL as a Challenge Cup (BBC) day
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The magic weekend is going nowhere,won’t be a sevens tournament it will remain as it is it’s clearly a money spinner for the sport so why change ?