Bevan French

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
medlocke

Re: Bevan French

Post by medlocke »

What if he is actually coming in to replace Manfredi
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:39 pm What if he is actually coming in to replace Manfredi
Then why sign Jake Bibby?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:59 pm
medlocke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:39 pm What if he is actually coming in to replace Manfredi
I was under the impression that Bibby was signed to replace Sarge.

Could be to replace Manfredi and/or Burgess (after next year).
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

PGH1449 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:32 pm
If we need a stand off then bloody sign one. Don't buy a winger and then claim it is going to be a masterstroke playing him where he has no experience
This is all well and good but we turned Andy Platt from a good second row to a brilliant prop. We turned Ellery Hanley from a cracking centre to one of the best loose forwards in the world. We turned Sam Tomkins from a good stand off in his first stint at the club to one of the best full backs in the world. Souths turned Greg Inglis from a top centre to an unstoppable full back.

Players have skills and it’s for the coach to determine how to use those skills to get the best out of the players.
Now you are talking about three players, two of which are before the salary cap era when you could have a huge squad and sign pretty much who you wanted

Andy Platt was a brilliant player before we signed him GB international and all. The fact we moved him to prop in my opinion took away his strongest aspect - his pace. Still if you think signing an international back row and moving him to prop is the same as signing a reserve Aussie who's career has gone down the pan over the last two years and him becoming the next Trent Barrett it would explain everything you know about the game and the tenuous links you like to make

Ellery Hanley, yet another GB international at the time we signed him. A freakish almost unplayable player that even the Aussies respected but yet again you claim gives this current Wigan set up the excuse to sign players willy nilly and play them wherever they want because..... well it's Wigan and we don't make dud signings and they can all play wherever we want them to fit in

Lastly Sam, was he yet another reserve grade player who we decided could play full back? Like the others. He fitted in a reasonably well drilled and balanced side that did not rely on signing wingers to play half back because of a couple of out of date youtube videos.
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Woody1989 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:02 pm

To be fair no one can explain why we signed Bibby. The fact we appear to be compounding the issue by supposedly being interested in more wingers when the spine and the pack need strengthening is crazy
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:17 pm
Woody1989 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:02 pm

To be fair no one can explain why we signed Bibby. The fact we appear to be compounding the issue by supposedly being interested in more wingers when the spine and the pack need strengthening is crazy
True, in my opinion the pack is the most pressing issue. Don't see why we're looking to waste money on a winger/fullback that could be spent on a prop or back rower.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:11 pm
ddtftf wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm French has 1 quality that all the training in the world will not produce, and thats electric pace , so no matter where they play him he will have 2 markers leaving a gap in the defence .
Teams always use two markers...

Pace is only useful if you can create the space to utilize it.

For arguments sake, who do we think have been the fastest players in Super League in the last 10 years?
Teams do not always use two markers, especially when defending within ten metres of their own try line. (But I don't think ddtftf meant markers in this sense, I think he meant that French's pace will attract an extra defender/tackler as his pace would be able to get him at the outside shoulder of the first defender.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Because IL and Rads haven't got a clue?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Or perhaps they are getting the feeling that Gildart may want to try his luck down under too and have signed Bibby as a stand by/reserve in that event.
We have had a terrible season for injuries in all but a couple of positions. Any measures and signings the club make are ok by me if it is to make the loss of players a lot less significant bearing in mind that those not in the 17 will play for the reserves.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

The booze hound wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:28 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:11 pm
ddtftf wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm French has 1 quality that all the training in the world will not produce, and thats electric pace , so no matter where they play him he will have 2 markers leaving a gap in the defence .
Teams always use two markers...

Pace is only useful if you can create the space to utilize it.

For arguments sake, who do we think have been the fastest players in Super League in the last 10 years?
Teams do not always use two markers, especially when defending within ten metres of their own try line. (But I don't think ddtftf meant markers in this sense, I think he meant that French's pace will attract an extra defender/tackler as his pace would be able to get him at the outside shoulder of the first defender.

Exactly what i meant, and Rich Myler was a very dangerous player when he was younger and had pace sadly lost it over the years.