George Burgess

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Wiganer Ted

Re: George Burgess

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Burgess being linked with us in the SMH is very telling. He's in trouble, leaving Souths and doesn't want to play against his brothers all of which points to him returning to the UK.
I don't think Wigan would have mentioned it via both Lam and Phil W so publicly if he wasn't someway down the path of joining us.
Would be an incredible signing as he's one of the best props in world rl.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:53 pm I think this would be a game changing signing for us. Great to see how widely this has been reported, and that even the coach has commented on it. Bring it on. As ever with recruitment, it is only when you have the full picture that you know if we are in credit or not.

If we end up with...

INs - Hastings Burgess Clark Bibby French

OUTs - Williams Tautai Hamlin Sarg various young lads

Plus, the emergence as stars of the very near future of Smithies, Partington, Byrne and Havard.

I would be delighted with that as a proposition.
Maybe another for lockers and would be interesting if we could tempt another half if we released shorrocks and sammut....... im just getting greedy now
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
bertina

Post by bertina »

southportcdm wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:43 pm Great to see us actually making a serious effort to make such a singing. The type of signing we used to make years ago, well done to all concerned. If we get George he'll be a real season ticket booster and he's a real monster of a player.
You’re absolutely right, but there will probably still be some on here calling IL a tight arse saying we should have got Sam Burgess instead.
If this comes off it’s job well done for me. Signed the best half back currently in SL, and a world class prop.
Fingers crossed.!!!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

And obviously a player that won't go shooting off back to the NRL after, say, the first year of a new contract.
That should give us some much needed consistency in a vital position we've struggled in recent times.

Just one cautionary note, he does have some discipline issues and is currently suspended on a biting charge, a similar offence that caused him to miss the third Test Match against the Kiwis.
Hopefully these issues can be sorted, so more fingers crossed !
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

He’d be a great signing given his ability but let’s not kid ourselves the only reason he may be available is he is on the way out from Oz is due to his discipline issues.

They aren’t on the same level as those that made Hardaker available but if he is available, it’s not necessary his choice to be so.

That said there will be a queue to sign him and so if IL can pull off signing him that would go a long way to satisfying my and others scepticism over recruitment.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why George Burgess would be a bigger signing for Wigan Warriors than you may think - comment

What a signing he would be,” wrote one fan, in reply to our story about Wigan’s interest in George Burgess yesterday.

“I will actually self combust if this comes off,” wrote another.

“Imagine the scenes if Wigan manage to actually pull this off.”

And on they went.

Some swore.

Some prayed. Not one thought he would be a bad signing.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported Burgess was "likely" to join Wigan, though Adrian Lam was keen to point out most, if not all, Super League clubs would want Burgess on board for 2020.

Still, the very fact they have contacted the prop’s agent and made a move for him was enough to excite supporters.

And so it should.

Burgess is 27.

He is a current international, a current NRL star.

If rugby league can even claim to have any household names, then he’s one of them.

Few doubt he would give Wigan’s middle the physical presence and drive they have lacked.

The fact they have targeted him also goes against their trend on props.

Previously, under Ian Lenagan’s ownership at least, Wigan have favoured recruiting props from lower-ranked clubs and developing them. Think Tony Clubb, Ben Flower, Joe Bullock, Taulima Tautai, Gabe Hamlin, Romain Navarrete, Gil Dudson, Andy Coley. And many have served them well.

The last ‘star’ front row signing they had was Frank-Paul the Wrecking Ball, who didn’t really wreck much, and was on the outer at Canberra. And they only got Jeff Lima because Melbourne were desperate to strip players for salary cap reasons.

Which is not to say Wigan haven’t had good props, you understand.

Clubb and Flower still do a fine job, the youngsters coming through are exciting, and Lam made the good point Burgess’ age would make him a good bridge between those two ends of the spectrum.

In a salary cap era, it's impossible to recruit or retain stars in every area - and Wigan's policy, if it is that, has certainly served them well over the last 10 years.

If you were to look at Wigan’s squads during that time and pick out the current internationals, you’ll see them dotted around Wigan’s outside backs, halfbacks and back-rowers. But there are very few in the front-row (Lee Mossop was one, and he was homegrown).

Given his calibre and his age, I imagine Burgess would command a marquee player allowance spot. Super League clubs are now allowed two Marquee players, meaning only £150k (or £75k if homegrown) of their salaries count on the cap.

I know Lenagan has been irritated by suggestions Wigan haven't spent up to the cap limit of £2m, insisting they have (they actually spend more with dispensations such as having a marquee player - George Williams - and so many homegrown players).

If they can get Burgess over the line, it would be a real statement of intent from Wigan, and drive up the excitement for next season so soon after the recruitment of Jackson Hastings, and amid reports of a move for exciting Parramatta back Bevan French.

I echo the reaction from the start – what a signing Burgess would be.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/why-ge ... -1-9897275
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

bertina wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:52 pm
southportcdm wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:43 pm Great to see us actually making a serious effort to make such a singing. The type of signing we used to make years ago, well done to all concerned. If we get George he'll be a real season ticket booster and he's a real monster of a player.
You’re absolutely right, but there will probably still be some on here calling IL a tight arse saying we should have got Sam Burgess instead.
If this comes off it’s job well done for me. Signed the best half back currently in SL, and a world class prop.
Fingers crossed.!!!
IL has been a tightarse there is no arument about that, but it appears he may realise that a poor season up to now, discontent among fans, falling attendances and troubles with players off the field activities have made him realise we need to show ambition and change the culture at the club.Perhaps this is the start.
outback wiganer

Post by outback wiganer »

According to Wikipedia, George Burgess recently signed a 3 year contract for 2020 season with Wigan Warriors.
Would be a great signing. Just what we need.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

37]

Edit
Burgess enjoyed a return to form in 2018 with South Sydney finishing 3rd on the table at the end of the regular season. Burgess made 27 appearances for Souths as the club made it all the way to the preliminary final before being defeated 12-4 by eventual premiers Eastern Suburbs.[38][39]

On 6 November, Burgess was suspended for four matches after being found guilty of eye gouging Dallin Watene-Zelezniak during England's 20-14 victory over New Zealand. The suspension meant that Burgess would miss the start of the 2019 NRL season.[40]Recently signed a 3 year contract for the 2020 season with Wigan Warriors. George Burgess will appear in the crime thriller Locusts (film) as Ivan[41]
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
PGH1449

Post by PGH1449 »

Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:11 pm And obviously a player that won't go shooting off back to the NRL after, say, the first year of a new contract.
That should give us some much needed consistency in a vital position we've struggled in recent times.

Just one cautionary note, he does have some discipline issues and is currently suspended on a biting charge, a similar offence that caused him to miss the third Test Match against the Kiwis.
Hopefully these issues can be sorted, so more fingers crossed !
He’s actually suspended for 9 games after admitting to eye gauging. He was banned for 4 games for the same offence against NZ (I think it was Watene-Zelezniak).

Cracking prop though and finger crossed it comes off.