Win it?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wandering Warrior

Re: Win it?

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Whoever meets the plastic scousers, they'll have to win with twelve men! :lol:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
saintnickle

Post by saintnickle »

I suppose it depends on if you play rugby against us or Thugby.The way the playoffs are this year means that finishing top gives you a massive advantage and 2 bites at the cherry,whereas finishing 4th or 5th you are playing 3 games of knockout rugby with most games away from home.Last year even though we were the best team by far we limped into the playoffs and looked jaded.We wont make the same mistake this time and whoever we come up against will have be at their best to compete
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

saintnickle wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:42 am I suppose it depends on if you play rugby against us or Thugby.The way the playoffs are this year means that finishing top gives you a massive advantage and 2 bites at the cherry,whereas finishing 4th or 5th you are playing 3 games of knockout rugby with most games away from home.Last year even though we were the best team by far we limped into the playoffs and looked jaded.We wont make the same mistake this time and whoever we come up against will have be at their best to compete
:lol: :lol: :lol: Biggest bottlers of the decade :lol: :lol: :lol:
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Louey scarsbrick is a thug( against half backs and wingers)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:50 am
saintnickle wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:42 am I suppose it depends on if you play rugby against us or Thugby.The way the playoffs are this year means that finishing top gives you a massive advantage and 2 bites at the cherry,whereas finishing 4th or 5th you are playing 3 games of knockout rugby with most games away from home.Last year even though we were the best team by far we limped into the playoffs and looked jaded.We wont make the same mistake this time and whoever we come up against will have be at their best to compete
:lol: :lol: :lol: Biggest bottlers of the decade :lol: :lol: :lol:
hes in dreamland meds....... anybody who believes in father christmas must be
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
bertina

Post by bertina »

moto748 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:44 pm There are game managers around: Cooper Cronk, Mitchell Moses, Jimmy Maloney, Benji Marshall etc. They just don't play in SL.
Jackson Hastings does. :D :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The top 5 should make it much harder for a team outside the top two to win it but at the end of the day the entire season comes down to a handful of games so it is a lottery as to who is fit and who gets the rub of the green.

I think all this notion of pacing yourself for the playoffs is a load of rubbish (and largely an excuse for poor performances during the season) precisely because whatever plans a coach might try and make to pace a teams approach to the end of the season, they can simply be completely undone by these factors.

The big game mentality issue can always play a part but it can only take you so far if you have injuries and we are very thin in the pack so for us to win I think the wheels will have to come off other teams in the 5 and I don't just mean Saints.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Now, now! Stop the sniping you're all moaning about it on RLFans!

This is a happy forum who accept proper comments & debates from other clubs fans. Let's keep it this way 😊🏉🍒⚪️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:42 am
The big game mentality issue can always play a part but it can only take you so far if you have injuries and we are very thin in the pack so for us to win I think the wheels will have to come off other teams in the 5 and I don't just mean Saints.
DaveO we are in 4th place after an poor season start with no real pack!!! The wire game will show us if we stand a chance of the finals but out very thin pack has stood up to the plate in recent weeks.

Sure we arnt smashing through lines in attack but they also are not be rolled by the opposition.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:41 am
DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:42 am
DaveO we are in 4th place after an poor season start with no real pack!!! The wire game will show us if we stand a chance of the finals but out very thin pack has stood up to the plate in recent weeks.

Sure we arnt smashing through lines in attack but they also are not be rolled by the opposition.
Having a small pack need not be debilitating if you get your tactics right. If you play small props like big props then you will come unstuck. The way to play small packs vs big packs is keep the ball moving and in play, kick early to turn the bigger packs around and use your smaller forwards wisely. Farrell is a great example of how to play in the pack as a smaller forward, he never runs at people he runs lines to cut through the defence.

Obviously in defence its a harder task but if you do things well when you have the ball you can take some juice out a bigger pack and make their runs less efficient.

Partington and Smithies really started putting themselves about a bit and that is serving us well, partington in particular in the hull game really rattled some of the Hull forwards. ISA also used to really get under Sneyds skin.

I just feel like at the moment there's a real buzz around the club again something thats really been missing for a while and its the impact of some good signings that weve talked about. Saints are expected to win this year, they have to carry that with them, plus lose Coote and they would be in trouble IMO.

Im not taking anything from the in season games because they dont matter otherwise saints losing to London twice would be significant.

Wigan and Saints GF with Wigan taking a low scoring scrappy match you heard it here first!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure