Win it?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
saintnickle

Re: Win it?

Post by saintnickle »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:27 pm
Flash wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:23 pm There's no doubt that's true Dave. We definitely need some respite from the injuries. However there's 2 months to the playoffs and final and, in that time, two of our main rivals have a CC final to play. Wire have already lost Austin and there's no word yet for how long. It would only take Saints to lose a couple of their big players to radically alter the landscape and there's a lot of tough games before the final. Anything is possible yet.
If saints lose Coote it would weaken then a lot
And it would weaken you if your captain is missing for a while.Without him against Hull you would have been beaten .
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

saintnickle wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:30 pm
Flash wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:23 pm There's no doubt that's true Dave. We definitely need some respite from the injuries. However there's 2 months to the playoffs and final and, in that time, two of our main rivals have a CC final to play. Wire have already lost Austin and there's no word yet for how long. It would only take Saints to lose a couple of their big players to radically alter the landscape and there's a lot of tough games before the final. Anything is possible yet.
And it would weaken you if your captain is missing for a while.Without him against Hull you would have been beaten .
pffft lockers is injured like 70% of the time its no biggy we find ways to win without him plus he always "recovers" in time for the big matches ;)
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

saintnickle wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:04 pm
Firestarter wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:59 am
medlocke wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:50 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Biggest bottlers of the decade :lol: :lol: :lol:
hes in dreamland meds....... anybody who believes in father christmas must be
You just concentrate on making it into the top 5..The last 6 times weve played you weve won 5 lost 1..
I love Saints fans quoting recent facts, Eddie Hemings use to do the same. Just for the readers of this website can you let us know how the record stands from when we first played each other?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:58 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:41 am
DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:42 am
The big game mentality issue can always play a part but it can only take you so far if you have injuries and we are very thin in the pack so for us to win I think the wheels will have to come off other teams in the 5 and I don't just mean Saints.
DaveO we are in 4th place after an poor season start with no real pack!!! The wire game will show us if we stand a chance of the finals but out very thin pack has stood up to the plate in recent weeks.

Sure we arnt smashing through lines in attack but they also are not be rolled by the opposition.
How many times has our pack dominated v Wire and Saints and how many games v them have we won?

In the playoffs now it is top five we have to beat all the teams above us playing away from home.

If we have Clubb, Flower and Greenwood fit (how many times has that happened this season) along with Faz we stand a chance and we will have an even better chance with a bit of luck if a few of our opponents are missing a player or two as we have been but it's all a bit of a lottery as I said in my previous post. We need all our players fit IMO.
I concur with you Dave. If we get all our injured forwards on board and keep our backs healthy we could frighten some teams above us.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

saintnickle wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:57 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:36 pm
saintnickle wrote:I suppose it depends on if you play rugby against us or Thugby.The way the playoffs are this year means that finishing top gives you a massive advantage and 2 bites at the cherry,whereas finishing 4th or 5th you are playing 3 games of knockout rugby with most games away from home.Last year even though we were the best team by far we limped into the playoffs and looked jaded.We wont make the same mistake this time and whoever we come up against will have be at their best to compete
Been noticably tailing off the last few week. Just like last year!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Really,,and what do you base that on??Our last 6 games won 5 lost 1.Those 5 weve won weve hammered Wigan Warrington and Hull..
Only 26 against wakefield? Only scraping past fax? It happened last year and its happening again.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Flash

Post by Flash »

Indeed it would. That's exactly the point being made. As it stands, for much of the season, we've had to contend with multiple injuries, often to key personnel whilst you have been relatively injury free. That could all change between now and the Grand Final, particularly as Saints are involved in the CC while Wigan have a week free. Should that be the case then your good form up to now would count for little. As I said, anything is yet possible.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Really???well he didnt play at saints so that must have been why we lost there
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

That is the point I was making though. The playoffs are a complete reset of the season and like it or not, what went before counts for little.

As it is top 5 now it gives an advantage to the side at the top but it still all hinges on how the sides line up and how they go in a handful of games.

As I have implied for us to win it it from 3rd or 4th is a big ask as we'd have to beat all sides above us away from home but it isn't impossible.

My favourite "fun fact" about the playoffs is when Bradford became the first side to win the GF from outside the top 2. They had endured a horrendous season with injury but their players started to return at the back end of the season and as such they went into the finals with a full strength side with players who had not played a full season so were fresh, while those above them suffered injuries to key players. Saints lost Long if I recall correctly and Leeds lost Mcguire (I think, and may even have lost Rob Burrow as well).

Hopefully history will repeat itself and Wigan win it from outside the top 2 as well but I accept we need this sort of luck to make it more likely.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:43 pm

That is the point I was making though. The playoffs are a complete reset of the season and like it or not, what went before counts for little.

As it is top 5 now it gives an advantage to the side at the top but it still all hinges on how the sides line up and how they go in a handful of games.

As I have implied for us to win it it from 3rd or 4th is a big ask as we'd have to beat all sides above us away from home but it isn't impossible.

My favourite "fun fact" about the playoffs is when Bradford became the first side to win the GF from outside the top 2. They had endured a horrendous season with injury but their players started to return at the back end of the season and as such they went into the finals with a full strength side with players who had not played a full season so were fresh, while those above them suffered injuries to key players. Saints lost Long if I recall correctly and Leeds lost Mcguire (I think, and may even have lost Rob Burrow as well).

Hopefully history will repeat itself and Wigan win it from outside the top 2 as well but I accept we need this sort of luck to make it more likely.
not that I actually believe we will, but isn't second place still possible? Wire have lost a very key player and we are only 4 points behind :D

the again we could end up outside the top 5 if we have a bad run and Salford and Castleford get a good one. I presume with all the bans Catalans season is done.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:05 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:43 pm

not that I actually believe we will, but isn't second place still possible? Wire have lost a very key player and we are only 4 points behind :D

the again we could end up outside the top 5 if we have a bad run and Salford and Castleford get a good one. I presume with all the bans Catalans season is done.
Everything to play for, apart from the League Leaders Shield and there I must congratulate Saints on their success. If we win all our games I am convinced that we will finish second.