Referee for Friday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Referee for Friday

Post by josie andrews »

WIGAN WARRIORS V HULL KINGSTON ROVERS
Friday 9th August
DW Stadium | KO : 19:45

Referee C. Kendall

Touch Judge 1 J. Child
Touch Judge 2 G. Dolan
In Goal P. Brooke
In Goal 2 A. Moore
Reserve Referee A. Smith
M Com A. Mills
Time Keeper D. Campbell
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
PF Warrior

Re: Referee for Friday

Post by PF Warrior »

I hope Child controls the game better than he did the Catalans v Warrington game.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

PF Warrior wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:47 pm I hope Child controls the game better than he did the Catalans v Warrington game.
Childs is on a flag. Kendall is reffing
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I say it each time, Campbell is the best timekeeper around. Not for a second will I change my mind
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

It’s a thankless task to be a referee!

You have fans screaming abuse if decisions don’t go the way of your own team & now some players don’t have respect for the referees, it’s getting more & more like football these days ☹️

And this pretending to be hurt! Even the physios are getting in on the act! Where is the honesty & integrity these days of our great game? These were the main things that set us apart from soccer!

A player can go down with an injury with nothing to do with the head or neck & the first thing the physio does is holds onto the head. It looks to me sometimes, especially if that team is losing, & that's the cynic in me, that even though it isn't a serious injury, they are telling them to "stay still, give yourself & the lads a breather!" We may get a penalty!

Sneyd last week! The first tackle from Willie Isa, I felt was much harder than the second!

The second Isa was committed to the tackle IMO &, even in mid flight, he seemed to pull back a bit. But Sneyd went down like the proverbial bag of sh*t, stays down knowing it's so very close to half time, gets the penalty.

Okay, fair enough.

But then to get up as if nothing has happened, tells Connor who was preparing to kick the penalty to step out of the way so he can kick it & get the glory!

No wonder Isa wasn't happy with Sneyd going off the field at half time!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:32 am It’s a thankless task to be a referee!

You have fans screaming abuse if decisions don’t go the way of your own team & now some players don’t have respect for the referees, it’s getting more & more like football these days ☹️

And this pretending to be hurt! Even the physios are getting in on the act! Where is the honesty & integrity these days of our great game? These were the main things that set us apart from soccer!

A player can go down with an injury with nothing to do with the head or neck & the first thing the physio does is holds onto the head. It looks to me sometimes, especially if that team is losing, & that's the cynic in me, that even though it isn't a serious injury, they are telling them to "stay still, give yourself & the lads a breather!" We may get a penalty!

Sneyd last week! The first tackle from Willie Isa, I felt was much harder than the second!

The second Isa was committed to the tackle IMO &, even in mid flight, he seemed to pull back a bit. But Sneyd went down like the proverbial bag of sh*t, stays down knowing it's so very close to half time, gets the penalty.

Okay, fair enough.

But then to get up as if nothing has happened, tells Connor who was preparing to kick the penalty to step out of the way so he can kick it & get the glory!

Its something that has been creeping in over the last couple of years and needs to be nipped in the bud before it becomes a major issue. You see it at PTB's every week when a player is getting up letting go of the ball and waving their arms in the air. Its as if it's drilled into them.

The thing that is most frustrating for me (and Robert Hicks is the worst culprit by a mile) is the lack of consistency. You'll see identical incidents at opposite ends of the pitch with different decisions given. I know James Child takes a lot of stick but for me he is one of the most consistent. I hate the way he referees a game, he doesn't let a game flow and in bad tempered games (Saturday being a prime example) he can lose control, but you know what you're going to get from him and if you don't prepare accordingly for that then you've only got yourself to blame.

The standard of refereeing is one of the areas in which we are light years behind the NRL. Not just with the onfield guys but the way in which video referee decisions are handled as well. We're desperately lacking in top level officials. There appear to be a few younger lads coming through the ranks but certainly for now we're stuck with what we've got.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:32 am It’s a thankless task to be a referee!

Okay, fair enough.

I agree the play acting in particular is starting to really creep in, its always been there briers in particular used to be bad for it but recently seems like more and more are doing it.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

First and foremost they need to get the basics right,keep a good 10,speed up the play the ball,get a grip of playing the ball properly and sort our the farcical forward passes .And apply those rules for both teams in the same areas of the pitch.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

PF Warrior wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:47 pm I hope Child controls the game better than he did the Catalans v Warrington game.
And pray tell what did Child’s do wrong in that game?

I’m sick and tired of seeing crap like this posted on here and on the jungle that is Facebook,no referee could have done better in that game Christ they’d have struggled with two refs in that game.

Think you can do better,then get on a course and don the whistle and that goes for everyone,I myself at times wonder at a decision only to see it they get it right 95% of time,they’re human mistakes will be made.

Sorry for the rant but hells teeth I’m sick of the one eyed blame culture that’s polluted our game.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:35 am

Okay, fair enough.

I agree the play acting in particular is starting to really creep in, its always been there briers in particular used to be bad for it but recently seems like more and more are doing it.
The playacting is as you say creeping in more and more to the game,Wigan aren’t immune to it either,but some clubs do go down as if shot by a gun,but what do you expect when in the middle of winter you have “water boys” clearly coaching the team,get em off,unless it’s 90 degrees no water unless on the side,They atheletes and can nip over should they require fluid.

If it’s not nipped in the bud it’ll stain the game more send them off players and coaches would get the message.