Clarke unleashes scathing attack on Super League and the RFL

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Clarke unleashes scathing attack on Super League and the RFL

Post by josie andrews »

Sky Sports’ pundit Phil Clarke has blasted Super League and the RFL for failing to make a stance following the ugly scenes in Perpignan on Saturday.

In an already ill-tempered game, a mass brawl broke out in the final few minutes with referee James Child brandishing two red cards and four yellows.

However, following the conclusion of this week’s disciplinary hearings, only three players have been suspended and referee Child has been dropped to the Championship – something Clarke has labelled disgraceful.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, he said: “I’m disappointed in the Rugby Football League and Super League that this week the only real thing that’s come out of that game is that the referee from the match was dropped to the division below, which I think is disgraceful.

“Both clubs should be in some way investigated for not been able to control their players on the pitch.

“If you look back in football, it might be almost 20 years ago, Arsenal and Man United played in a game (1990) and there were ugly scenes in that.

“The league and the sport were strong enough to deduct points from the league table for both of those sides.”

Clarke added: “I think Warrington and Catalans should be sent a message which will then cascade to every other team in Super League that unless you control your players and if they (fail to) respect the referee on the field then there will be serious consequences.

“The referee did his best but it appeared to me that both sets of players didn’t really want a referee and weren’t prepared to listen to him. It was a very bad look for the sport.”

Watch the full video here. https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... per-league

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/clarke-u ... rfl-21581/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Clarke unleashes scathing attack on Super League and the RFL

Post by josie andrews »

Child not being punished for role in Catalans-Warrington mayhem, insists Ralph Rimmer

Rugby Football League chief executive Ralph Rimmer has insisted that the decision for leading referee James Child to officiate in the Championship this weekend is not a punishment or demotion following his officiating of the highly-charged game between Catalans and Warrington last weekend.

Child issued six cards – four yellow and two red – during the Dragons’ 30-10 win on Saturday, including three after the full-time hooter had sounded following an almighty 26-man brawl. Sam Tomkins and Michael McIlorum were given straight red cards.

However, Child will officiate in the second-tier this weekend, taking charge of Toulouse’s trip to Widnes – with some immediately suggesting that he had been punished, or even demoted, following his involvement in the game.

But Rimmer told TotalRL that is simply not the case.

“James is not being punished, not whatsoever,” he said.

“James was involved in what was a very tough game to officiate. But like every game he and the rest of our Grade 1 match officials take charge of, he then comes under a review. It’s a thorough process but that’s not to say he’s being punished for what happened on Saturday.

“Sometimes, quite often, in fact, we move match officials into different environments and different competitions – and there are a myriad of different reasons for that. It was an incredibly tough game to take charge of but James is regarded as a top-class referee – and that hasn’t changed.”

One former referee told TotalRL that Child could have done no more in terms of his own actions, and it would have been an impossible situation for most officials to keep a lid on.

https://www.totalrl.com/child-not-being ... ph-rimmer/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Rimmer what a smeg head.

Spineless like the red dwarf hologram. Obvious its a demotion but Clarke called them out on it.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

It looks well when we are all agreeing with Clark! Just shows there's something in it!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Of course Childs is being punished,jesus wept does Rimmer think fans are stupid?

The real culprits of that shameful display where the morons on the pitch,had it been me id have fined each and everyone of them plus both coaches for their snarky comments towards Childs,the sooner nonsense like Saturday is dealt with harshly then the less likely it is too happen again, fine the grubby buggers and they'll think twice about the way they showed the game up on Saturday.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:13 pm Of course Childs is being punished,jesus wept does Rimmer think fans are stupid?

The real culprits of that shameful display where the morons on the pitch,had it been me id have fined each and everyone of them plus both coaches for their snarky comments towards Childs,the sooner nonsense like Saturday is dealt with harshly then the less likely it is too happen again, fine the grubby buggers and they'll think twice about the way they showed the game up on Saturday.
I am with you there Fozzy, the RFL bottled it. They should have supported Childs and taken Catalans and Wire to task, instead they flipped the blame. I think it is absolutely disgusting. I hope all our fans get behind James when he runs the touchline on Friday. Without the referees there is no game, both coaches and captains should have been hauled in front of the disciplinary panel together with all the other players who overstepped the mark and an example should have been made of them.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards