Warriors outmuscle KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors outmuscle KR

Post by josie andrews »

Match Report as Wigan Warriors beat Hull KR at the DW Stadium

Tries from Williams, Marshall, Clubb, Burgess and two from Farrell

FT: Wigan Warriors 36–18 Hull Kingston Rovers

Two tries from Liam Farrell and Joe Burgess’ 100th for the Club helped Wigan Warriors to a 36-18 victory over Hull Kingston Rovers in the Betfred Super League on Friday night.

Adrian Lam’s side were pinned back twice before the break to see the teams head into the sheds 12-12.

However, a rampant Cherry & White side returned for the second half and proved too much for Tony Smith’s men. The result sees Wigan climb to third in the Betfred Super League table, just two points behind second Warrington Wolves.

Wigan drew first blood through no.6 George Williams in the 5th minute. A fantastic solo effort saw the stand-off break the KR line 40 metres out with a vicious step. Putting his pace to good use, Williams ran home to score just left of the posts. Zak Hardaker added the extras.

The Robins scored a try of their own through Ryan Shaw in the 10th minute. Making good use of a penalty conceded by the Warriors in their own 10-metre line, Rovers shipped the ball out right to see their no.5 score in the corner. Shaw then added the extras, bringing things level at 6-6.

Wigan regained the lead in the 16th minute through Winger Liam Marshall. A tidy grubber executed by Leuluai 10 metres out caused lots of confusion in the KR end zone and was ultimately pounced on by Marshall in the right corner. Zak Hardaker made it two-from-two with the boot, taking the lead to 12-6.

KR got their second try of the game in the 37th minute through Ben Crookes. A grubber from Michael Lewis found the centre to touch down. Shaw converted his second of the game, bringing the scores all level just before half time.

Wigan started the second half as they started the first, by scoring the first try of the half. Liam Farrell latched onto a short ball from Sam Powell just a couple of metres from the try line to touch down under pressure from two Rovers defenders in the 46th. Hardaker converted his third of the evening, taking the scores to 18-18.

Just two minutes later Hull KR clawed a try back through Josh Drinkwater. A grubber just 10 metres out from Drinkwater eluded a number of players from both sides in the in goal area, leaving the KR no.24 to chase his own kick and touch down. Shaw added the extras.

Wigan took the lead for a fourth time in the 57th minute through winger Joe Burgess, scoring his 100th try for the Club. A typically swift move down the left edge saw Oliver Gildart draw two KR defenders and feed the waiting Burgess, who crossed in the corner. Hardaker kicked added the extras.

The 61st minute saw the introduction of Wigan’s latest signing Bevan French who replaced try-scorer Joe Burgess in his debut for the Warriors.

The Warriors extended their lead in the 68th minute of the game through prop-forward Tony Clubb. A powerful 10-metre carry from Clubb was too much for the Rovers defensive line, and the experienced forward rode a couple of tackles to touch down just to the right of the posts. Zak Hardaker converted, taking the scores to 30-18.

Wigan took further advantage of a tiring KR defence, scoring their sixth try of the night through Liam Farrell in the 75th. Collecting the ball 25 metres out, Farrell went on a marauding cross-field run from left to right to score to the right of the uprights.

Wigan Warriors: Zak Hardaker, Liam Marshall, Chris Hankinson, Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess, George Williams, Thomas Leuluai, Tony Clubb, Sam Powell, Oliver Partington, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Morgan Smithies.

Interchanges: Joe Greenwood, Bevan French, Ben Flower, Liam Byrne

Tries: Williams (5’), Marshall (16’), Farrell (46’, 75’) Burgess (57’), Clubb (68’),

Conversions: Hardaker (6/6)

Penalties:

Hull Kingston Rovers: Adam Quinlan, Ryan Shaw, Ben Crooks, Jimmy Keinhorst, Will Dagger, Michael Lewis, Josh Drinkwater, Mose Masoe, Chris Atkin, Daniel Murray, Joel Tomkins, Weller Hauraki, Dean Hadley.

Interchanges: Kyle Trout, Robbie Mulhern, Jez Litten, Owen Harrison

Tries: Shaw (10’), Crookes (37’), Drinkwater (48’)

Conversions: Shaw (3/3)

Penalties:

Referee: Chris Kendall, Touch Judges: James Child & Greg Dolan, In Goal: Aaron Moore & Peter Brooke

Attendance: 10,702

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... 765uFHS.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Warriors outmuscle KR

Post by josie andrews »

Rallied really well: Lam

Head Coach Adrian Lam reacts to Wigan’s victory over Hull KR

”We rallied really well and the positive was they found their way out of it and scored almost forty points in the end.” Lam

FT: Wigan Warriors 36-18 Hull Kingston Rovers

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Adrian Lam praised the unity of his side’s second half performance following their 36-18 victory over Hull KR at the DW Stadium on Friday night.

Speaking to the media after the final whistle, Lam summarised his feelings on the overall performance.

“We didn’t start the game well and we put ourselves under pressure. The second half was better and we got through ok in terms of injuries, so fingers crossed everyone is fit next week.”

“Last week against Hull FC we did a lot of numbers in defence so I knew at some stage we were going to flatten out, but I didn’t think it would be the first half.”

Heading in tied at 12-12 at the break, Lam detailed how unhappy he was with his side at that stage in the game.

“I got angry at half time, I don’t do that too often but I decided to open up a bit. I think it was a good time for it and they responded.

“We rallied really well and the positive was they found their way out of it and scored almost forty points in the end.”

On Liam Farrell, who scored two tries in the match: “he got a hat trick a couple of weeks ago here (DW Stadium) too. We missed him at the start of the year and with O’Loughlin out and a few of the others, I think he certainly stabilises the team with his leadership. I’m really happy for him.”

Wigan’s latest signing Bevan French made his debut on the night, replacing Joe Burgess in the second half. On the Australian’s performance Lam said, “We wanted him to have more time but it didn’t work out that way.

He looks electrifying when he’s got the ball in hand and I think he knows what his role is this year at the Club and moving forward what his role is in 2020 here. It’s hard to get him a start here at the moment because everyone is playing pretty well. We’ve communicated that with him and we will just work at it week-in-week-out. “

The Head Coach also commented on the performance of young prop-forward Ollie Partington, who again started for the Warriors.

“I think he played the first 47 minutes straight. For a starting front-rower, that’s pretty good. I’m really proud of him, I didn’t really want him to play that much time but when Liam Byrne went down with a shoulder sting, he had to play out that time.

“He’s just a machine, I love everything about him at the moment, he’s young, he’s enthusiastic and I knew at times he had gone but he just hung in there.”

The result saw the Warriors move up to third in the Betfred Super League, going level with Hull FC on 28 points and just two behind second-placed Warrington Wolves.

On Wigan’s continued run of form Lam said, “We’ve got to stay focused through this last part of the season and make sure we end it on our own terms.

“I haven’t looked at the ladder all year. Teams are getting beaten around us at the moment, but we will just keep concentrating on ourselves and improve every week, that’s why the start today was so disappointing.”

Lam also provided updates on a couple of injury concerns, starting with Dan Sarginson, who was a late withdrawal from the Wigan side, being replaced by Chris Hankinson.

“He’s got a couple of niggily injuries, but he pulled out because of his foot, there’s also a hamstring that he’s having some issues with. That withdrawal was just precautionary.

“Tony Clubb scored a try which was critical for us, but he’s carrying a couple of niggily injuries too. There’s a few around, I’m sure every club has got them, we’ve just got to manage them as best we can over the coming weeks.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... DXJKY4G.99
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Sloppy first hour then we finally pulled away in the final 20... thanks to a double forward pass for Burgess’ try but never mind.

A win is a win. I think the lack of debate about the match last night indicates there is nothing really to talk about.

Big game against Wire though we could go joint 2nd on points or above then unless we beat them by 130 points
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
superleague

Post by superleague »

Tbh i thought we where pretty poor most of the game, some of defence was poor, where lucky KR bombed so many chances!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

ancientnloyal wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:47 am Sloppy first hour then we finally pulled away in the final 20... thanks to a double forward pass for Burgess’ try but never mind.

A win is a win. I think the lack of debate about the match last night indicates there is nothing really to talk about.

Big game against Wire though we could go joint 2nd on points or above then unless we beat them by 130 points
Doesn't it just mean we won always quiet on here when we win 😉.

Hull KR were there for the taking last night and we made hard work of it sadly.

French looked up for it when he came on, could have potentially scored but he kicked inside instead. He reminded me a bit of Burgess in his pre NRL stint from the few min he played.

Burgess for whatever reason was a passenger last night.

ISA had another good game. He made not have the ability of Farrell but he has the same 80 minute engine.

We need to cut out the mistakes though we give away alot of easy metres which could cost us vs the top 2.

Farrell was his usual self and as usual its only when hes back you realise what we have missed, he is quite rightly showing up all his detractors over the past year on here. However i don't understand why Lam moves him to accommodate greenwood.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We “only” need to beat Wire by 65 points, as every plus for us is a minus for them... given that they have Wembley to contend with, their form is rubbish and they are picking up injuries, if we beat them next week I think we will finish above them.
We need Trinity to beat Hull FC though, as they have an easier run in.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Was expecting a better performance than what we got but a win is a win.Is there any rumours about Bugie because his head seams some where else?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

pearsy wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:01 am Was expecting a better performance than what we got but a win is a win.Is there any rumours about Bugie because his head seams some where else?

He's been carrying a shoulder injury for a few weeks now.
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Burgess has been poor for weeks. He is targeted every week in defence because always out of position or he thinks he can intercept every pass that comes his way. And drops too many bombs near his own line. Was a good decision too replace him with French might be the kick up the backside he needs.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:06 am Doesn't it just mean we won always quiet on here when we win 😉.
To be quite honest, it's been very quiet on here to say everybody missed the site so much when it was down 🤔🤔